It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile devices are bad for ATS.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Hypothesis: Mobile devices are bad for ATS.

1) Since mobile devices make it less convenient to follow links, members are far less motivated than usual to follow links to investigate sources on their own. While this has always been somewhat of a problem, mobile devices have exacerbated it to an extreme level.

I completely disagree. Mobile devices are very convenient in web browsing, including links. Being out an about, I'm just as motivated to follow links and check the sources for themselves. I don't think this has ever been an issue unless the member was using an outdated mobile device. Mobile devices have greatly exacerbated our ability to browse on the go.

2) Mobile devices discourage meaningful discussion because of their inherent limitations. Instead of composing a thoughtful and well considered reply, members tend to fire off a few words with odd syntax, grammar, and line breaks. While this has always been somewhat of a problem, mobile devices have exacerbated it to an extreme level.

Todays latest and greatest mobile devices are much more capable of handling the load to partake in meaningful discussions, without the obvious limitations of lets say, mobile devise 5 years previous. Members firing off bad grammar and line breaks has always been a problem regardless of what technological medium of choice they prefer. Its not mobile devices, its the poster who have exacerbated it to an extreme level.

3) Mobile devices encourage "hit and run" posts. A member will post a curt and ill composed reply (see #2) and instantly vanish, for hours or days at a time. While this has always been somewhat of a problem, mobile devices have exacerbated to an extreme level.

A disagreeable post can encourage "hit and run" post regardless, members posting curt and ill composed post is the nature of the online world, regardless of the technological medium of preferred choice. Vanish for days at a time? are we suppose to stay on 24/7? if that's the case, then if anything, mobile devices are your main man, seeing as how one could access his "My ats" anywhere he or she goes, if anything that's detrimental to your cause in this thread. Under these premises, Mobile devices have indeed exacerbated this to an extreme level.

Anyone have anything to add to the hypothesis that will aid in the design of an experiment?

There is simply no need for a design for this kind of experiment, its happening as you post. if you feel the need for a thought out plan, simply ask the posters if there responses are mobile or PC/Laptop. Too easy...as matter of fact I'll kick it off.
Posted with:
T-Mobile Mytouch 4G slider
Chipset: Qualcomm S3 MSM8260
CPU: 1.2 Dual Core Scorpion class processors
GPU: 500mhz single channel ISM/333mhz LPDDR2 Adreno 220 processor
en.wikipedia.org...(system_on_chip)
This mobile device is at the bottom of the totem pole, yet is completely capable web browsing without the inherent limitations you speak of.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I agree however I do not think the fault lies solely with cell phone users. ATS needs to develop an APP making it easier for peeps with cell phones to access and navigate ATS web pages.. Everything you can do with a laptop you can do with a smart phone too...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
As a relatively new poster (though a lurker for a few years) the one thing that put me off was the 2012 vibe.

Obviously conspiracy theories are objective and open thinking should be encouraged at all costs. It's just that some of it was, well, very fringe. Just wondering if some of the more out there planet X kinda stuff over the last 18 months may have been off-putting to the likes that come looking for more general mainstream JFK, 9|11 and UFO conspiracy topics?

Reddit may also be another reason for user decline. I've noticed more conspiracy theory posts on there lately and as theorised above they tend to circulate on the more mainstream topics that a lot of general users may want to discuss.

Also I do think considering a smart phone app could be hugely advantageous. In rural areas where 3g is sparse a lighter phone-app would be better for viewing than trying to use the main forum on a mobile browser.

That said I love this forum and it's fantastic that such efforts are going into keeping it fresh and relevant. Hope your endeavours are successful!

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Actually. I'm using my mobile device (Kyocera Hydro w/ Android 4.0.4

I can offer those of you who use android a bit of advice. Get dolphin browser (or any real tabbed browser) and use the tabs. It keeps ur post and allows you to copy/paste links/info without loosing ur post.

If anyone needs any help just ask.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Mobil devices are also bad the entire human race. I am sick of talking to someone while they text, check apps or play scrabble on the damn thing. I am also sick of seeing kids walking head first into stop signs and telephone poles as they drool over the stupid lil things.

Also...They are tracking devices. Why the heck does the government want to know where my friends are playing scrabble?! Is Big Brother trying to locate all the telephone poles and stop signs?

Sorry Phage...that's all I got.

MM

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Quote by: Mr Mask
I am sick of talking to someone while they text, check apps or play scrabble on the damn thing. I am also sick of seeing kids walking head first into stop signs and telephone poles as they drool over the stupid lil things.

Response:
I can somewhat agree with that, however its not the techs fault they do foolish things like that. I've been really into a good book and run into a door myself, but I don't hate books for that. Completely my fault.
Also, you can turn the GPS off. Furthermore, you have to, on android at least, agree to share your location. They could track your address by your computer. Or your home phone.

To everyone else. If you're using mobile. Get a tabbed browser and learn how to use it. Take timewith your posts, and have fun. ATS on mobile is completely possible. Just wish we could create topics from here.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Here's my phone...

Can't seem to get ATS but snake works!!

But seriously you make an excellent point.

@Astyanax

Most of those posting from mobile devices on this thread have contributed short, misspelled and weirdly formatted posts.

I manage that without a mobile device in almost every thread...

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Wow... What a ridiculous assumption to make concerning mobile devices... I have seen the same crap, mis-spellings ect come from a user on a desk-top. The only thing that I've seen that makes a difference between my desk-top and my mobile is certain videos I'm not able to view due to the streaming or software used. That's when I google the same vid to get the proper soft-ware to view it.

My ipad and iPhone has not diminished my spelling or my thoughts because the device is smaller then a computer. I've created threads and post using my iphone and ipad and there is absolutely no difference between using these devices or my desk-top.

I applaud the use of these devices when it's impossible for me to carry my desk-top w/ me when away from home. I can stay connected to whats happening no matter where I'm at.

Again... I've seen the same things you complain about coming from a desk-top. Bad spelling has nothing to do w/ a mobile and laziness has nothing to do w/ a mobile. Ludicrous to blame the faults of humans on an object. lol

I've created my reply using my mobile... And as far as I can tell... There's no difference. My typo's are still out-lined and I still have the option to correct. Which I have.

You would think in today's corruption you would think of better things to try and control and complain about. I would think that it wouldn't matter if people use their mobiles... Just as long as they're digging to educate or change our current sad state of affairs. It shouldn't matter how one get's involved as long as they can and do.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hi there.
(Break line)
Since joining ATS I have been using a mobile to access it.
(Break line)
I can link sites, embed you tube vids and quote users.
All on a mobile.
The only thing I can't do at the moment is upload a new avatar as my phone won't run flash player.

I leave a line between the odd sentence and paragraph so that users can read what I have written, despite my poor spelling and grammer.
This is because there are often users who say they can not interpit a block of text.

I dont think mobile are bad for ATS. There a benifit as you can access the site from anyware. (I used to catch the bus regularly, and would spend an hour or so on here to pass time).

The hit and run posts, I've noticed this a few times also. But I don't think its just mobile users who are to blame.
When I'm not using ATS but on the net, I'll log out, and usualky only log in when I want to post.

With my phones browser (opera) I can open a few tabs, so I can stay on ATS and browse google/MSM sites to find relevant infomation about a topic.

Link to what phone is best for internet viewing.

Here is a link to a YouTube review of my phone -

eee.
edit on 31/8/13 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire because: Embed link for YouTube... (Example)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire
reply to post by Phage

Hi there.
(Break line)
Since joining ATS I have been using a mobile to access it.
(Break line)
I can link sites, embed you tube vids and quote users.
All on a mobile.
The only thing I can't do at the moment is upload a new avatar as my phone won't run flash player.

I leave a line between the odd sentence and paragraph so that users can read what I have written, despite my poor spelling and grammer.
This is because there are often users who say they can not interpit a block of text.

I dont think mobile are bad for ATS. There a benifit as you can access the site from anyware. (I used to catch the bus regularly, and would spend an hour or so on here to pass time).

The hit and run posts, I've noticed this a few times also. But I don't think its just mobile users who are to blame.
When I'm not using ATS but on the net, I'll log out, and usualky only log in when I want to post.

With my phones browser (opera) I can open a few tabs, so I can stay on ATS and browse google/MSM sites to find relevant infomation about a topic.

Link to what phone is best for internet viewing.

Here is a link to a YouTube review of my phone -

eee.
edit on 31/8/13 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire because: Embed link for YouTube... (Example)

Ding ding ding... Huge S & F for you my friend. As I said the same thing you did... You made points I didn't make but tried. There is absolutely no difference. Its not the device its the people using them. As i said before... I've seen the same mistakes made by a user on a computer. Bad links, bad pics, bad spelling...

My mobile does exactly what a computer does. lol

LoL so ridiculous...
edit on 31-8-2013 by tracehd1 because: Onto way more important issues...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Like your signature. Glad to see that you're looking up. Anything to report from the sub-tropics yet? Oh...wait...this thread is about what??? Mobile stuff. Curt posts. I don't get it. Aren't you supposed to be king of the sound bites? A one liner and a link or pic? What's up with this?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Hi there.

You made points I didn't make but tried. There is absolutely no difference. Its not the device its the people using them. As i said before... I've seen the same mistakes made by a user on a computer. Bad links, bad pics, bad spelling...

My mobile does exactly what a computer does. lol

LoL so ridiculous...
edit on 31-8-2013 by tracehd1 because: Onto way more important issues...

Thanks. I'm posting this from my phone now (as usual)
and agree, its the user.
They can add to a post with substance. Throw in links to back up claims, or the "Fround upon one-liner" reply.

By enabling mobile users to use ATS, it opens up a wider audience.

The only thing that was troubling was the new lay out that was enabled on 30/08/2013. It was buggy at first, but after reading a few How Too posts, it was working fine again - despite a few missing things (smiles, stars, flags were not showing, just a small box with no image in it).

Anyway, here's another link showing the evolution of the mobile phone.

eee.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
You say: "mobile devices are bad for ATS".

Well, get used to it. More and more people are going mobile. This includes smartphones and tablets. It's ATS that has to adapt and cater to the evolution of web browsing.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dmorgan

Yeah. I know.
I guess I'll just have to get used to the lower quality of content.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Hypothesis: Mobile devices are bad for ATS.

1) Since mobile devices make it less convenient to follow links, members are far less motivated than usual to follow links to investigate sources on their own. While this has always been somewhat of a problem, mobile devices have exacerbated it to an extreme level.

2) Mobile devices discourage meaningful discussion because of their inherent limitations. Instead of composing a thoughtful and well considered reply, members tend to fire off a few words with odd syntax, grammar, and line breaks. While this has always been somewhat of a problem, mobile devices have exacerbated it to an extreme level.

3) Mobile devices encourage "hit and run" posts. A member will post a curt and ill composed reply (see #2) and instantly vanish, for hours or days at a time. While this has always been somewhat of a problem, mobile devices have exacerbated to an extreme level.

Anyone have anything to add to the hypothesis that will aid in the design of an experiment?
While agree with that observation let's look at the other side.Just because someone has a PC doesn't require a page long doctoral dissertation to make a point which is equally annoying.Especially if that point is lame.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

reply to post by dmorgan

Yeah. I know.
I guess I'll just have to get used to the lower quality of content.

Can we really attribute lower quality of content to mobile devices though? Maybe partially- I agree it is not the best platform to compose a good thread where a lot of uploaded media might be involved. But certainly not 100%.

For example, there are other things that have contributed to these hit and run type posts. And one of them that I have noticed over the years is an increasing allowance on the part of mods of one and two liners. I used to see those get axed all the time, and now, hardly ever. ATS was a place that those types of trite comments were discouraged through moderation, not just asking nicely to please not make them. But I guess the sheer quantity of them eventually became uncontrollable as the site grew. The experience here for a volunteer mod, it would seem, needs to be pleasant too- and how could that be if they are going to spend all their time deleting one liners?

But note that as more and more sites make this move to accommodate mobile users, that could potentially open up an opportunity for a couple of sites to NOT do that, and cater more to desktop users- and hold that position steadfastly. That is obviously not where the admin here want to go. But I paid a lot of money for a slamming computer and a 65" monitor. I want to use it.

I could also argue, in conjunction with the zombie pic SO posted up there, that mobile devices are decreasing productivity. I experience that very thing where I work- people stop producing during work hours to check all kinds of things on them- and computers themselves already contributed to that. But with mobile, it is now even MORE distracting and enticing to a worker. I refuse to own one.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Less convenient yes, but less motivated? No sorry, not for me..on my (long) train journey home I often have many tabs open on my phone from following links given in threads on here, in fact since reading ATS on the my commute I have followed up more threads and theories than ever.

Again as has been said, this is not the mediums fault but the user of the device (echo's with gun ownership?), yes of course it's harder to post multi line posts on a mobile device, but with patience and care its easy enough.

I would counter that argument with that mobile devices encourage, like never before in human history, an incredible opportunity for anyone, anywhere to respond and communicate on a topic that interests them. As I said above it's up to the poster to ensure his post is accurate and relevant. Besides I don't think 'hit and run' posts are necessarily a bad thing. Adding a point of view to a topic should be encouraged and I see no need of a requirement for that poster to have to respond.

Sorry to disagree, but mobile devices, if they aren't already, will make up the vast majority of how people contribute on here, and it's not the mobile that's going to be the cause all your listed issues it's the owner of that device.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I used to see those get axed all the time, and now, hardly ever. ATS was a place that those types of trite comments were discouraged through moderation, not just asking nicely to please not make them.
Yes. I think to a certain extent ATS has gotten too big for its britches.

That is obviously not where the admin here want to go.
Well, their concern is growth. Whether or not catering to mobile users with a new look will accomplish that remaint to be seen.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by doorhandle

Sorry to disagree, but mobile devices, if they aren't already, will make up the vast majority of how people contribute on here, and it's not the mobile that's going to be the cause all your listed issues it's the owner of that device.

Wow. I never looked at it that way. I figured all those androids were just typing stuff on their own. I guess I overestimated their capabilities.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawg61

Especially if that point is lame.

I see what you did there.

There has been a (subjective) decrease in quality content that started before mobile devices showed up. It seemed to really start around the time the Facebook interface was brought online.

Mobile devices didn't help.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join