It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile devices are bad for ATS.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Hypothesis: Mobile devices are bad for ATS.

1) Since mobile devices make it less convenient to follow links, members are far less motivated than usual to follow links to investigate sources on their own. While this has always been somewhat of a problem, mobile devices have exacerbated it to an extreme level.

2) Mobile devices discourage meaningful discussion because of their inherent limitations. Instead of composing a thoughtful and well considered reply, members tend to fire off a few words with odd syntax, grammar, and line breaks. While this has always been somewhat of a problem, mobile devices have exacerbated it to an extreme level.

3) Mobile devices encourage "hit and run" posts. A member will post a curt and ill composed reply (see #2) and instantly vanish, for hours or days at a time. While this has always been somewhat of a problem, mobile devices have exacerbated to an extreme level.

Anyone have anything to add to the hypothesis that will aid in the design of an experiment?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Greetings Phage,

I agree. I have seen it to many times when someone posts a comment either saying someone is wrong or they have information but then follow up in the next sentence saying " sorry I cant post it now Im on my mobile " The same person never comes back with any proof of what they have said.

Happens all the time

I have learned to just ignore them now!

Be safe be well

Spiro

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Or another hypotheses may be that the younger generation is getting very used to one liners via twitter and FB. As a result, they are no longer interested in research, rather responding with something that makes them feel superior at that moment.

Modern communication, with the inherent brevity that cell phones have engendered, have altered the current generation to this ego seeking self that can hit and run. If they never come back, they cannot see what idiots they have been.

Same problem, different take. It is not the phones, it is the user.

P

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
As a frequent mobile user it irritates me tjat I cant follow links, edit posts and that opening another window, tab or page to gather links or quotes wipes my post in progress.

Seems like it should be an easy enough fix and I have my doubts the new "cross platform" ATS will be much better.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You are correct Phage. It will never go away...cell phones are here to stay.

I think we're all guilty of those infractions occasionally but yes, cell phones have exasperated the problem. Little 4X7 displays controlled by fingertips makes for frustrating "back button" mashing from hitting the wrong link and typing on that mini keyboard is Hell sometimes, although lately I've been using the voice input feature.

Either way, pulling up multiple screens, copying links, pasting links, etc. on a cell phone is time consuming thus making hit n run posts are going to happen. It's the times we live in.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
From my own experience using an iPad. My posts and threads have both deteriorated in quality and content.

It's not that I don't follow links, but its much harder to format a decent thread using an iPad, with its limited capabilities. Sometimes ill write a huge post, then go to add the sources to any information I've provided, only to find that the text I'd just spent 10 minutes writing is gone.

It also doesn't help if you have little clumsy fingers like mine. One minute your reading a thread, the next your on a wholle different page of the site.

The reason I continue to use it, is for convenience (laziness) . So I guess I provide some proof to the hypothesis. It is also clear as an iPad user to see who else is using iPads, by the way the predictive text works.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Mobile devices are good for ATS.,

A small click and you are reading ATS ..

Reading links are a bust? what kinda 1990s phones are we talking about?

Mobile devices encourage "hit and run"

LOL dont make me burst my milk all over my screen... it will exist hit and runs all the time.

That "Hit and runs" are only from phones are a myth (Created by OP today)

iPads, laptops etc are just the same...

Mobile devices discourage meaningful discussion

Care to gives us some examples about this "phenomenon" you are talking about?

All i see & read is a old man ranting for something he clearly reaches for to make it stick.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Breply to post by pheonix358

I think that's definitely part of it- I only recently upgraded through necessity from my primitive old little Nokia to a newer type-but even on the Nokia from the ark I always would post full replies.If I could see it turning into a wall of text I just go to another 2nd and even 3rd reply.What detracts from it for me is that its not possible to post pics from my cell,I have to do that from my pc.Links were never really a problem unless its a YT link-then it makes no financial sense,because it's so much cheaper to watch it through my pc(wi-fi) in my country if you do not have a contract phone,you have to upload airtime for databundle through your network,which videos devour like hungry sharks,that is regardless of the type of cell you use,even on BB.But if you have a contract phone+your budget allows,you'd be perfectly capable of watching a video at least and giving a detailed response if you were inclined.

edit on 12-6-2013 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Yes and No.

Currently there are limitations, only because companies have not realized the full potential of the mobile device. If you look at the iPhone/iPod/iPad the processor is a StrongARM chip. It could run OS8 or OS9 native (by adding in code for the touchscreen to replace the physical mouse and keyboard requirements). Some will say yes, but those are outdated OS's unable to surf the net. Again, yes and no. Just that Apple doesn't want to step back from the current OSX platform. As far as power goes, the iDevice is better than the desktops they were selling 12 years ago when OSX was first released.

Android systems, also have the power but are seriously hamstrung by a poor OS that was originally designed as a competitor to Windows. Yeah, even Google realized that it wasn't all that and left it to fester on the phones for years before trying to market a laptop that has all the functionality (except making phone calls) as a smart phone.

Will we see legitimate OS's on mobile devices? Eventually. But for now, no one wants to be the one to kick the sacred cow of desktops. My proof? Look at how far laptops have come since they were over priced globs of plastic.

As far as ATS surviving until then. We made it past the "I'm a ______, ask me anything" style of threads, didn't we?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If ATS for mobile devices will have few add elements to make it easier to use and if that mobile device will be self learning to be cognitive to past text,and ATS will have multi -modal learning program (and I think it's possible) which will include support for common mobile devices then yes will be easier for mobile devices users to use ATS.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
interestig .. looks like mobile tech in america still lagging behind rest of world .. I only use mobile device and am able to access regular ats site along with no problem connecting to links , use all site features .. works just fine over here .. maybe one day america will catch up techwise when it comes to mobiles ..

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
4) Auto-correct is rarely correct. It makes for a difficult, if not impossible, comprehension of posts; especially in conjunction with #3.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Most of those posting from mobile devices on this thread have contributed short, misspelled and weirdly formatted posts. Most have disagreed with the thread author but ended up inadvertently substantiating his claims.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I use my ipad2 all the time to come on here and find it is very convenient except if I want to post a picture etc i need to use my laptop for that because I can't upload to ATS with and iPad because its not got the required things to do it on here but can on most other sites.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
Most of those posting from mobile devices on this thread have contributed short, misspelled and weirdly formatted posts. Most have disagreed with the thread author but ended up inadvertently substantiating his claims.
1. english is not my native language 2 . I said all that I had to say regarding the subject , I dont waste time on long winded diatribes to answer a simple question.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Well, I for one, agree with Phage as far as making things worse.

Years ago, I used to log on through my laptop at home, but now I mainly just check the site via my smartphone. Which, in turn, limits me to some extent but yet I still manage to write large replies and try to catch my own spelling errors. Maybe it helps when we actually try to learn the spelling of said words, rather than be apathetic. That and the shorthand garbage kills me.

As far as composing threads, I usually wait until I am on my laptop.
Which is why I haven't created a thread in a long time...it's dusty.
I usually don't have hours to spend on ATS when I'm at home.
I prefer not to sit down much whilst there.

In all honesty, my main reasoning behind my recent smartphone purchase was it's ability to scroll through websites and more specifically ATS. It's my main source of "internet".

But I do still open about 6-8 extra tabs on the phone too.
Checking sources, reading linked articles and the such.
Slows my productivity down a bit...

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
1) Since mobile devices make it less convenient to follow links, members are far less motivated than usual to follow links to investigate sources on their own.

Many mobile devices today have multi-tabbed browsers built in and the speed to render these pages equally, or very close to, full fledged computers. I often browse ATS via mobile (desktop mode, not the ATS mobile site) and click on links and even watch Youtube videos.

Originally posted by Phage
2) Mobile devices discourage meaningful discussion because of their inherent limitations. Instead of composing a thoughtful and well considered reply, members tend to fire off a few words with odd syntax, grammar, and line breaks.

Many mobile devices have either a full fledged keyboard or a large on-screen keyboard with predictive input and spell check. But despite that, you still see what you mentioned with bad grammar and the likes.

As for number three, I think you've totally missed the mark. I for one will be in bed browsing Above Top Secret, find and interesting post and write a lot namely because I'm in bed and comfortable as opposed to my computer.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Blackberry user here, on the run. Agree in full, unable to reference anything to support my claims, yet manage through considerable tribulations to post this reply.

Solution is simply to offer all ats members a modern holographic device where the input is seamless.

2016 is the year

So glad this thread exists as struggling with shortfalls of technology everyday.

Thumbs up!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
One plus. It makes for good reading on the toilet. Try doing that on a laptop...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
i wish ATS would use tapatalk plugin, it's a superior way of browsing forums from mobile devices.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join