It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shock as Greece shuts down public broadcaster

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I wouldn't even say it was the Greek government that shut it down......Greece isn't run by the Greeks anymore, they lost their sovereignty to the bankers.

(and to the CBC posts - yes, wish they would get the axe, but the lefties in this country won't let that happen - and I happen to live in Ontario, soon to be the Greece of Canada)
edit on 12-6-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder

Originally posted by Philippines
Too bad, I guess the revolution will not be televised.

Maybe things are about to get real serious in Greece

Try this link, maybe not the same but you will get the idea of why they are petrified of the media of any kind.

Link below
rt.com...

Regards, Iwinder

Thanks for the response. I tried the link -- 404 now

What was the article's point? Media exposing tear gas in Istanbul, which may spark international controversy? (When TPTB do not want exposure unless they approve it?)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Greek here... All public tv broadcasters, in every country in the world are controlled by the government, They are not at all independent and the voice of the people, as mainstream media around the world say.
I think it was a move made to get the attention of the international mainstream media and manipulate opinions.
It was so corrupted that only if you had strong ''connections'' with the governing party you could get a job there. and since the people paid for everything, they gave them huge paychecks and redicusly expensive shows, and they were not by any meaning independent, just the mouthpiece of the gov,
Their journalists job so many years was to justify the acts of the gov, and not making other voices heard.
They will open again in 3 months time, with much more propaganda, BUT with all this attention, they will have a better ''image'' and they will be taken more seriously from the same people.

You all remember the riots and police beating ordinary innocent people, just because they were protesting.
They never showed anything like that in the news, (all the videos and footage were from private tv stations) they always protected police and gov crimes.
THEY WERE NOT THE FREE VOICE OF PEOPLE, JUST LOADS OF PROPAGANDA AND MIND CONTROLLING BS
that will feed us when they open again, but with a better image this time (since all this drama about ''the voice of people'' that is spread around the worlds mainstream media.
The Gov knows better why they shut down their own mouthpiece (for a while).

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr1Akula
Greek here... All public tv broadcasters, in every country in the world are controlled by the government, They are not at all independent and the voice of the people, as mainstream media around the world say.
I think it was a move made to get the attention of the international mainstream media and manipulate opinions.
It was so corrupted that only if you had strong ''connections'' with the governing party you could get a job there. and since the people paid for everything, they gave them huge paychecks and redicusly expensive shows, and they were not by any meaning independent, just the mouthpiece of the gov,
Their journalists job so many years was to justify the acts of the gov, and not making other voices heard.
They will open again in 3 months time, with much more propaganda, BUT with all this attention, they will have a better ''image'' and they will be taken more seriously from the same people.

You all remember the riots and police beating ordinary innocent people, just because they were protesting.
They never showed anything like that in the news, (all the videos and footage were from private tv stations) they always protected police and gov crimes.
THEY WERE NOT THE FREE VOICE OF PEOPLE, JUST LOADS OF PROPAGANDA AND MIND CONTROLLING BS
that will feed us when they open again, but with a better image this time (since all this drama about ''the voice of people'' that is spread around the worlds mainstream media.
The Gov knows better why they shut down their own mouthpiece (for a while).

Thanks for some info from the place!

Maybe you wouldn't mind starting a thread of your own with updates and pics when possible? =D

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

"Whoever controls the media, controls the mind." Jim Morrison

Controlling the sources of information that people have access to has always been one of the first steps towards a fascist government. When you control what your people are able to see, hear, and read you can tell them any lie you wish and they have no choice but to believe it.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I can imagine the howls of shock and indignation when The Public Broadcasting System (PBS) gets shuttered in the U.S. ... Echoing similar cries from people who loved using typewriters.

Simple solution: YouTube.

Stop wasting my tax dollars.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by supermarket2012

I think there is much more to this than most are thinking...when we went from analog to digital TV signals here in the USA, the idea was broadcast through all media far and wide, with arrangements made for those who's televisions wouldn't yet handle digital signals. This went on for oh about 2 years before the change over was complete. That is how such things are handled on a normal basis, I would think. Of course this is just my own observations and opinions.

I wanted to comment on your Homeland Security discourse. What and who are they? I think you can look at just about ANY public servant, paid or volunteer, as part of Homeland Security. I remember in the spring of 2002, we went in for our yearly SkyWarn training, done by the National Weather Service every spring, just before tornado season kicks off. As many of us are amateur radio operators, we provide a valuable service to the National Weather Service, by getting information to them that they wouldn't otherwise possibly be able to get from very remote locations. When we received our ID cards that year, along with the usual information that identified who we were, along with any amateur radio information, at the very bottom of the card said..."Department of Homeland Security".

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I can see your point Marg, but if you were to see what ERT aired, you can't help but shake your head.
Yes, there were meaningful and insightful shows about culture, history, and news. However the majority of the material on there was actually commercialized productions rebroadcast on ERT.
Also, there were 4 ERT channels, and 28 radio stations, to me that seemed a bit excessive. 1 or 2 channels is all that is needed for a public broadcaster IMO.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SweetKarma
reply to post by supermarket2012

When we received our ID cards that year, along with the usual information that identified who we were, along with any amateur radio information, at the very bottom of the card said..."Department of Homeland Security".

Given that SKYWARN is meant to identify and describe severe local storms in order to protect life and property, it makes sense that it has been lumped with other agencies and organizations into the Department of Homeland Security and that issued id cards for SKYWARN would thus have "Department of Homeland Security" on them.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

The ERT was a national broadcaster, I believe the first in Greece. They were shut down because as the Greeks are suffering under austerity measures imposed on them, those who are fortunate enough to have jobs are paid ~500 Euros per month while inflated costs of goods and services continue to rise. Meanwhile executives at ERT were collecting huge salaries at public expense because the network was funded by tarriffs place on every Greeks utility bill. The station was largely unwatched and irrelevent and you won't likely find a Greek who is saddened by this closure except perhaps the unemployed execs.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr1Akula

I should have read the entire thread DR, I didnt mean to repeat the points you made.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join