It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything NSA Neverending Thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I am tired of starting a new thread for every newsworthy story pertaining to this scandal. May I propose this be a centralized ongoing thread for all new NSA topics?

Well, to each his own. I will be posting news stories on an ongoing basis here. Starting threads is not my cup of tea and I think this scandal will see many new stories before it is said and done. All NSA stories (and comments about them) welcome here.

BREAKING: ACLU Files Suit Against Obama Administration Over NSA Surveillance; Members Of Congress May File Supporting Briefs

The suit was filed with NY Civil Liberties, alleges violation of the First and Fourth Amendments. It challenges the constitutionality of the phone surveillance.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

The suit takes issue with the so-called metadata that a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court compelled Verizon Wireless to hand over to the National Security Agency under Section 215 of the Patriot Act.

also:

Rep. Justin Amash indicated on Fox News that several congressmen would likely file amicus briefs, in concert with the ACLU action.

weaselzippers.us...

My 2 cents: My dad once told me that you can't sue the government and win. That was years ago and I don't think he ever considered the Plaintiff being the ACLU with a little help from some Congressmen.

Search done.
edit on 6/11/2013 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
This is a good idea. If this keeps up (which it appears it will) maybe it'll even need it's own forum.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Edward Snowden's girlfriend Lindsay Mills: At the moment I feel alone

The girlfriend of Edward Snowden, the whistleblower who leaked classified documents about US surveillance operations, has apparently blogged about the couple's life in Hawaii and her uncertainty about the future without her "man of mystery". Just a day after Snowden identified himself as the source of the leaks, Lindsay Mills, a 28-year-old performance artist, wrote: "I don't know what will happen from here. I don't know how to feel normal." She added: "My world has opened and closed all at once. Leaving me lost at sea without a compass … at the moment all I can feel is alone."

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Google asks DoJ for permission to publish Fisa requests

Google has called for the US authorities to allow it to fully disclose the number of secret requests it receives to hand over users' data. The search giant, together with rivals including Apple and Facebook, have been left reeling after the disclosure by the Guardian and Washington Post of the undercover National Security Agency (NSA) operation Prism, which claimed "direct" access to the tech giants' servers. In a letter to the US attorney general, Eric Holder, also published on Google's blog, the company once again said allegations that the US government had "unfettered access to our users' data are simply untrue" but the fact that it was not allowed to disclose requests made for information under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (Fisa) "fuel that speculation".

www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 11-6-2013 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

I don't envy her. Lonely in love. He made a tough choice and how it impacts her, his family and friends must be a living nightmare.

Someone is going to make a movie about this.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Why? So you can get all the stars and flags? Check you out. Just gonna come in here and dictate to everyone.

edit on 11-6-2013 by skepticconwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
Google asks DoJ for permission to publish Fisa requests

Google has called for the US authorities to allow it to fully disclose the number of secret requests it receives to hand over users' data. The search giant, together with rivals including Apple and Facebook, have been left reeling after the disclosure by the Guardian and Washington Post of the undercover National Security Agency (NSA) operation Prism, which claimed "direct" access to the tech giants' servers. In a letter to the US attorney general, Eric Holder, also published on Google's blog, the company once again said allegations that the US government had "unfettered access to our users' data are simply untrue" but the fact that it was not allowed to disclose requests made for information under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (Fisa) "fuel that speculation".

www.guardian.co.uk...

Judging from his track records.
Holder will sit on this until his butt falls off.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
reply to post by xavi1000

Someone is going to make a movie about this.

That is sure 100% , it will be easy , script is writed already.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

ATS can set my stars and flag at zero and leave it there or start their own Ongoing NSA thread I WISH THEY WOULD. I don't care about that.

Moderators please take this idea into consideration and please close this post if you do.

Edit to add: Alert sent. Darn that trouble making me.

edit on 6/11/2013 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Thing is this is an ongoing saga and new things will pop up daily, If everything to do with the subject was in one thread it would be hard to control and hard to follow so If people make new threads which are to the point about certain aspects of the saga the better.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Thing is this is an ongoing saga and new things will pop up daily, If everything to do with the subject was in one thread it would be hard to control and hard to follow so If people make new threads which are to the point about certain aspects of the saga the better.

You know, I agree that important stories need to stand out. I surmise the complaint dept. will soon open though about too many threads. It needs to be the moderators call. I will keep adding new stuff here. Anyone who sees something here and wants to start their own thread on it is more than welcome.

May I suggest that everyone posting a new story in this thread use the BOLD feature for their headline?

Anyway, that is what I will do. I did this with Benghazi. I needed a personal timeline on what was happening. Who said what when can be very crucial in sorting through the lies about how it went down.

Like I said. I'm parking my stuff here and all are welcome to do the same if you are like me and do not care to babysit a thread.

My name attached to this will draw few. That's alright with me. Popularity lost it's importance to me a while back.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Greenwald Says ‘There’s A Lot More Coming,’ Argues NSA Revelations Don’t Harm Security

livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com...

Great news for Obama & Co., not.

Wonder how it feels to be the most powerful man in the world to not be able to stop the truth for a change, especially when it casts you in a very bad light?

Greenwald:

....Anyone who wants to say that any of these stories or disclosures have harmed national security, I defy anybody to say anything that we've published that does that in any way. The only people who have been harmed are those in power who want to conceal their actions and their wrongdoing from the people to whom they're supposed to be accountable."

Well, it's MSM and politicians gone wild time and no one how much crow will be eaten before the dust settles. More fireworks ahead. Perhaps even surprises for the already enlightened ones.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
VIDEO Director of National Intelligence Lying about NSA Data Collection
www.economicpolicyjournal.com... conomicpolicyjournal%2FYZSb+%28EconomicPolicyJournal.com%29

I saw this on youtube last week and could not find it when I wanted to post it.

Snowden contradicts Wyden's testimony 100%.

Written transcript of whopper at link.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

To add to your thread and support? Here is another source outside traditional MSM...

(CN) - The American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit Tuesday challenging the government's "dragnet" collection of phone records, saying the practice "is akin to snatching every American's address book."

"It gives the government a comprehensive record of our associations and public movements, revealing a wealth of detail about our familial, political, professional, religious, and intimate associations," the ACLU and the New York Civil Liberties Union claim in Manhattan Federal Court.

and...

As current and former Verizon customers, the ACLU and the NYCLU say the data gleaned by the government "could readily be used to identify those who contact plaintiffs for legal assistance or to report human-rights or civil-liberties violations, as well as those whom plaintiffs contact in connection with their work."

The advocacy groups say the surveillance program violates the First and Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, and "is likely to have a chilling effect" on members, employees, clients, journalists, legislators and others who would otherwise contact them.
(Source: Courthouse News)

I'm calling this a step toward making this VERY real at this point. In fact, I'd damn near call this Game, Set and Match on the NSA's little program here.

They have standing, they have funding and backing, they have the talent and they have the sheer pissed off determination with a record of laughing at intimidation attempts and not knowing what 'backup' means.

They also have one hell of a case. They are Lawyers after all. They are customers and as such, a part of the scope of the NSA demand for records on subscribers.

.....Those records essentially include Attorney-Client work product, even if no voices are recorded and no text messages are ever seen. For the ACLU....the mere list of who calls them and who THEY call in support of ongoing cases *IS* work product. (grin)

Like I said.. NOW it gets serious and this thing is for real. The ACLU are folks I don't normally side with because they often take cases so far Left it makes you wonder how they walk upright.

However, they don't give up and they don't back down. Almost ever. That makes them the PERFECT bulldogs to bird-dog the NSA. Oh Goody... Now the real show begins on this sucker.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks for popping in. It's likely to get lonely here with me being so bossy.

That makes 3 NSA related lawsuits now.

The other 2 are former Justice Department prosecutor, Larry Klayman's ,(Judicial Watch) class action suits. The one against Verizon and Administration officials has Rand Paul's support.

www.usnews.com...

Having followed Judicial Watch, I know this is a: "I've been waiting for this moment all my life" for Klayman.

Not looking good for Obama. If he gets out of this mess, I know this country is fubar.

, I'd damn near call this Game, Set and Match on the NSA's little program here.

AWESOME!!!

Thanks for sharing your keen insights. As always, you are a breath of fresh air.

edit on 6/12/2013 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Interesting how many people think the NSA programs have little if any effect.

I think we know the real reasons......

Lawyers and intelligence experts with direct knowledge of two intercepted terrorist plots that the Obama administration says confirm the value of the NSA's vast data-mining activities have questioned whether the surveillance sweeps played a significant role, if any, in foiling the attacks.

The defence of the controversial data collection operations, highlighted in a series of Guardian disclosures over the past week, has been led by Dianne Feinstein, chairwoman of the Senate intelligence committee, and her equivalent in the House, Mike Rogers. The two politicians have attempted to justify the NSA's use of vast data sweeps such as Prism and Boundless Informant by pointing to the arrests and convictions of would-be New York subway bomber Najibullah Zazi in 2009 and David Headley, who is serving a 35-year prison sentence for his role in the 2008 Mumbai attacks................

Obama administration says NSA data helped make arrests in two important cases

edit on Jun-12-2013 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Public Documents Contradict Claim Email Spying Foiled Terror Plot
www.buzzfeed.com...

But British and American legal documents from 2010 and 2011 contradict that claim, which appears to be the latest in a long line of attempts to defend secret programs by making, at best, misleading claims that they were central to stopping terror plots.

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.” Nietzsche

Maybe, they are deciding the price tag for all this protection is too high. Civil liberties are been tossed left and right and thankfully people are catching on to this.

Did you see my image link (above Wrabbit's post)? You would get a kick out of it. I used your Wizard of Oz one on FB. too funny!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
NSA surveillance played little role in foiling terror plots, experts say

www.guardian.co.uk...:network-front%20aux-1%20top-stories-1:Bento%20box %208%20col
osition1:sublinks

Obama administration says NSA data helped make arrests in two important cases – but critics say that simply isn't true

I expect full retractions from all the MSM lapdogs when Hell freezes over.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
more coming out................

Troops 'targeted by NSA for anti-Obama views'

It looks like troops returning from Afghanistan are being scrutinized for simply posting on internet sites like Facebook.

Very scary when we see these actions by the government.

Who is next? What is next?

The NSA is systematically monitoring the Internet posts and telephone conversations of U.S. military returning from Afghanistan, according to a civil-liberties attorney.

“The FBI and the Secret Service are showing up to request an interview to question specific Internet posts the veteran has placed on websites such as Facebook,” explained attorney John Whitehead, founder of the Rutherford Institute.

Whitehead said the agencies are looking for “anti-Obama views that can be interpreted to reflect psychological problems of sufficient seriousness to disqualify the veteran from ever owning a firearm.”.......

Troops 'targeted by NSA for anti-Obama views'

Paranoia with helium in their heads

top topics

<<   2 >>

join