It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sober senior charged with DUI for 'looking drunk'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
cnews.canoe.ca...

An Arizona retiree was arrested and charged with driving under the influence despite having a blood alcohol level of zero.

Jessie Thorton, 64, told ABC News that he was pulled over on June 5 around 11 p.m. He says his wife works night shifts as an emergency nurse, therefore, he often runs errands and goes to the gym while she’s at work.

Once he was pulled over, Thorton says an officer walked up to his vehicle and said, “I can tell you’re driving DUI by looking in your eyes.”

He claims his eyes were red because he was swimming at the gym pool.

Thorton believes he was pulled over because of his race."
continued in article.

Is this a black and white issue or a cop gone wild issue?? Either way, it is out of hand and shows abuse of authority and lack of respect for the basic civil rights of any given individual as a citizen.

abcnews.go.com...

*edit: This reminds me to ask others if they know statistics on diabetics (or other medical condition/s) who may have also been pulled over and
arrested for DUI.???

edit on 11-6-2013 by dianashay because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Jun 11 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX TAGS IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
It sounds like a marijuana DUI and not an alcohol one. I bet the top saw bloodshot eyes and thought he could make the man pay for it... since everyone that has bloodshot eyes is clearly a druggie!

edit on 11-6-2013 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
yes, I understand that would be their first thought but still I know of many older persons who have bloodshot eyes without drugs and without any pool and still that is no grounds to arrest someone, especially when they have passed/or not taken a breathalyzer and put them in lockup for blood testing etc. Even if one is high, some states don't even have laws in regards to that as far as driving is concerned, do they??
edit on 11-6-2013 by dianashay because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by chadderson

Yep. I dont know many people (if any) who get blood shot eyes from drinking, until 12 hours later with the hang over.

Sounds like he was arrested on suspicious of being high, not drunk.

"It was driving while black," he told ABC.

He’s now filed a $500,000 lawsuit against the city

edit on 6/11/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
reply to post by chadderson

Yep. I dont know many people (if any) who get blood shot eyes from drinking, until 12 hours later with the hang over.

Sounds like he was arrested on suspicious of being high, not drunk.

"It was driving while black," he told ABC.

He’s now filed a $500,000 lawsuit against the city

edit on 6/11/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

Yeah, and it's not right for him to sue over false arrest and being falsely charged with DUI. I'll bet he set this whole thing up, himself, so he can get some money.

Yes, he was arrested under suspicion of DUI (a charge which can include "influences" other than alcohol). But where is the proof? And what reasons did they have to reasonably suspect DUI? We don't get much from the article. Because his eyes were red? That alone should not be enough grounds for DUI arrest, or you'd see a whole lot more cases. So what were the other factors?

Driving while black, perhaps?

Either way, it was a false arrest, and they deserve to be sued. No ifs, ands, or buts. I hope he wins and takes them to the cleaner. Teach them a financially painful lesson about harassing innocent citizens. Then maybe the local government will apply appropriate pressure on the police department to... well.... act appropriately.

Too much of this BS....

top topics

join