It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration says it will allow all girls to have morning-after pill access

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by beezzer

There is no law, that I know of, that prevents a teenager from purchasing any OTC medication, such as Excedrin or Tylenol. Plan B is just another OTC.

Unless they have a cold:

SACRAMENTO - A bill has been signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown prohibiting minors from buying certain over-the-counter drugs.
People under 18 are no longer able to buy medicines that contain the drug Dextromethorphan, or DXM.

dextroverse.org... 30-New-Law-Restricts-Minors-From-Buying-OTC-Drug

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Well, if that is the case than do you see any reason that the government should regulate any pharmaceutical, everything should be over the counter. Also maybe the government should not regulate tobacco or alcohol. Heck, we should all be able to own machine guns too.

I think regulations need to be in place for some things. I am actually for the government regulating some things, especially when it comes to kids.
Not at all, but I do see a fundamental disconnect in the argument that was made. Saying the government should stay out of it by making it illegal is an oxymoron. Thats all I was saying.

Im not a 'no government' person. I believe regulations are there for a reason, though I think many, at this point, are not necessary.

All of that said, I have a hard time denying anyone of reproductive age any and all tools available to keep themselves safe. Obviously teaching responsibility is first and foremost, but if making this available stops even 1 11 year old from getting pregnant, I can live with it.

Comparing this to machine guns, or tobacco, or alcohol, is sensationalism at its best.

And a final thought: Anyone saying that this is an abortion pill is grossly ignorant on the subject. Plan b prevents fertilization. It cant be abortion if a fertilized egg never exists.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I agree with a lot of what you say but where are the young kids going to get the hundred bucks to buy it? It's not as if they have a hundred dollars sitting around if they are from a lower middle class family or low income family. The problem is if they don't get the money by asking their parents for it they may steal it or sell things they shouldn't be selling, particularly family treasures handed down through the generations.

I think that the parents should be involved in this. I am not saying that the pill should not be given to those who need to take it, I am saying the parents should be aware of what is happening. What if the child has a reaction to the med and nobody knows the reason. Even an estrogen compound has side effects. Even a banana has side effects to some people.

I think that this whole thing is a sales promotion orchestrated by the Pharma companies.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I agree with a lot of what you say but where are the young kids going to get the hundred bucks to buy it? It's not as if they have a hundred dollars sitting around if they are from a lower middle class family or low income family.
$100? Google it. You can order a pack of 12 for less than $30 bucks right now.

. The problem is if they don't get the money by asking their parents for it they may steal it or sell things they shouldn't be selling, particularly family treasures handed down through the generations.

thats a pretty big assumption. Some may steal it. Some may have to sell a prized possession and learn about consequences. Others may sit down and talk with a parent, tell them the situation, and get the money that way.

And what is the alternative then, if you put an age restriction? To lie to get it? To ask an 18 year old that they know from the neighborhood? If we're going to assume they are gong to do the wrong thing to get it if it is legal, why wouldnt we assume they are going to do the wrong thing to get it if there is an age restriction?

I think that the parents should be involved in this.
I think that the parents should be involved LONG before this.

am not saying that the pill should not be given to those who need to take it, I am saying the parents should be aware of what is happening.

In a perfect world, sure. But if the parent hasnt been involved enough in a kids life to prevent these things from becoming an issue, why should they have to be involved in this part of it?

. What if the child has a reaction to the med and nobody knows the reason. Even an estrogen compound has side effects. Even a banana has side effects to some people.
Thats a very valid point, but I have yet to see any data that shows there is any inherent risk outside of short term things like nausea and vomiting.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
My daughter is underage as well. I don't care what Obama or anyone else says, she will NOT be taking any forms of medications or synthetic hormones without my knowledge of it, and my permission. When she is 18, then she may make her own informed choices. That's how it goes in this house. I'm not against contraceptives at all. If she wants to take synthetic hormones, then I will get them for her. No problem. I will provide an endless stash of condoms as well, but the govt has no right telling my underage child that she is welcome to make decisions like this for herself without my knowledge of it.

The side effects of any synthetic hormone can be dangerous, depending on underlying health issues that may be known or unknown. I'm allergic to these synthetic hormones and cannot take birth control pills. They make my throat close and I get a rash all over. Now, what if my daughter takes Plan B without anyone's knowledge of it and becomes very sick? Will the govt be responsible for her trip to the ER as well? A friend's daughter took Plan B and it threw off her cycle so badly she would not stop bleeding. After a d&C it would still not stop the continual bleeding. So they tried an ablation and other means to stop it. Still would not work. The 18 year old girl had to have a hysterectomy just to stop it. That's an extreme case, however, things like that happen. Will the pharmacist at any pharmacy on a busy day stop and take the time to speak to my child about the side effects and ask her what her medical history is? Will they do that for every child?

This reminds me of the HPV vaccine and how everyone was told it was safe and a great way to prevent infection. Look at what happened with this.

Now that Plan B is accessible to children, (yes they are still children under 18 and in the parents home), we will see an increase of STD's because many will think it doesn't matter to wear a condom as long as they can pop a pill to stop them from becoming pregnant. Plan B will not be used as emergency, it will be used casually.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Just a quick search on the internet shows that Plan B is a high dose birth control pill and the side effect can be throwing off the menses and problems with bleeding. I wouldn't call that a "mild side effect". Uncontrolled bleeding is serious and leads to transfusion or sometimes more riskier interventions for women. I love how this whole thing is being downplayed!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
www.drugs.com...

According to Drugs.com:

A total of 192 drugs (694 brand and generic names) are known to interact with Plan B (levonorgestrel).

13 major drug interactions (37 brand and generic names)
157 moderate drug interactions (599 brand and generic names)
22 minor drug interactions (58 brand and generic names)

I sure hope every pharmacist will take the time to discuss this with each and every child.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
Reading through this thread makes me realise how ignorant and backward some Americans really are.

In the UK we have a law called ''Ghillick Competant''. This is for minors, age does not necessary come into it and it covers a wide range of age of the minor. Basically, if a minor is deemed Ghillick competent, then the parents have no say over medications and medical procedures including abortions to the said minor. They don't even have a right to know about it. Confidentiality is between the patient (minor) and Doctor.

How am I ignorant and backward for wanting to know what is going on with my child? It's not ignorance on my part for caring about what my daughter is putting into her body or what surgical procedures she might decide for herself.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The morning after pill cost £25 in the UK..

I have to say the morning after pill is better to me, than abortions.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
reply to post by FlyersFan

The simple solution to this for all those right wingers out there wetting themselves over the state giving their daughters this... if you raised them right to start with they wouldn't need the state to supply it! If they could come to their own parents with these things then maybe they wouldn't be opening their legs so irresponsibly? Maybe, just maybe, it was all that nonsense about "praying" and "chastity" that completely failed your daughter and meant that she didn't know how her own damned body works?

Look inward here folks, if your daughter is needing this, you have bigger problems than the state supplying it. You should have educated your daughter properly, taken responsibility yourself and raised a daughter that doesn't need this in the first place.

I'm not a right winger! I'm not even religious! Why assume that parents who disagree with the accessibility of this drug to minors are all right wingers or crazy religious freaks??

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by kaylaluv

No-one is stopping me from parenting.

And if the government had said, sale prohibited to a minor without parental consent, I'd have no problem with it.

But the government has determined that a child needs no parental consent when determining morning-after pill access. THEY have made a unilateral decision.

Rather nice of them, don't you think?

No, they are leaving it up to you to teach your kid your rules and morals. It is YOUR decision how you raise your kids. If you do your job right, your kid will never go buy this drug, so this doesn't even affect you. But what about the kids who don't have good parents? What about the kids whose parents never taught them rules or morals? What about those kids who ended up in trouble, but have no good parents to go to for guidance? What are those kids supposed to do? Don't tell me those kids don't exist. Don't tell me those bad parents don't exist.

Just because you have a great relationship with your child (and I do, we are very close), it doesn't mean that they will not go off and make decisions on their own behind your back. No parent/child relationship is perfect. I was close with my mom, and the communication was strong and she was a good mother who encouraged me to have some responsibilities. But that did not stop me from going off at 3 in the morning, getting drunk and messing around until dawn without her knowledge of it. It didn't stop me from having sex on prom night either, without her knowledge, and... it would not have stopped me from walking into a pharmacy the next day to pick up a prevent a pregnancy pill had it been available at the time.

I don't think it's fair to say "If you're a good parent, your child won't do xyz". Sometimes, kids are going to do what they want to do regardless.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchildren

Good on you for being an attentive parent, but I fail to see how NOT making laws about it is the government telling people what they can or cant do.

Taking the government out of it is a GOOD thing. It is up to each and every parent to do THEIR job, and EDUCATE their child, and be open for them to come to.

People act as if this whole thing is the government saying "you HAVE to take them".

I for one, wish the government would butt out of MORE things.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchildren

Just a quick search on the internet shows that Plan B is a high dose birth control pill and the side effect can be throwing off the menses and problems with bleeding. I wouldn't call that a "mild side effect". Uncontrolled bleeding is serious and leads to transfusion or sometimes more riskier interventions for women. I love how this whole thing is being downplayed!

Any change in hormone levels will change menstruation cycles. Heck, changing locations can. It is not dangerous, it is not life altering. It is, in fact, a mild side affect, and one that is well known.

Can you please show me evidence of acase where a woman had to have a blood transfusion because of plan b? Just one, please?

I cant believe how much this whole thing is being sensationalized!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchildren

Originally posted by Rocker2013
reply to post by FlyersFan

The simple solution to this for all those right wingers out there wetting themselves over the state giving their daughters this... if you raised them right to start with they wouldn't need the state to supply it! If they could come to their own parents with these things then maybe they wouldn't be opening their legs so irresponsibly? Maybe, just maybe, it was all that nonsense about "praying" and "chastity" that completely failed your daughter and meant that she didn't know how her own damned body works?

Look inward here folks, if your daughter is needing this, you have bigger problems than the state supplying it. You should have educated your daughter properly, taken responsibility yourself and raised a daughter that doesn't need this in the first place.

I'm not a right winger! I'm not even religious! Why assume that parents who disagree with the accessibility of this drug to minors are all right wingers or crazy religious freaks??

So abortion is a better alternative for you?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

It's a hundred bucks here at the pharmacy for a box of two. They do not sell them singly here. A kid is probably going to get them locally instead of ordering them and having them shipped to their house where their parents may open them.

I'll never change my mind about how I feel about this law that allows anyone to buy them. You may as well forget about trying to convince me otherwise. I still remember what it was like to be a kid, I'm only fifty seven. I have an excellent memory. I also remember what people were like all my life, this knowledge is more important to me than ten degrees would be.
edit on 12-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

It's a hundred bucks here at the pharmacy for a box of two. They do not sell them singly here. A kid is probably going to get them locally instead of ordering them and having them shipped to their house where their parents may open them.

I'll never change my mind about how I feel about this law that allows anyone to buy them. You may as well forget about trying to convince me otherwise. I still remember what it was like to be a kid, I'm only fifty seven. I have an excellent memory. I also remember what people were like all my life, this knowledge is more important to me than ten degrees would be.
edit on 12-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)
I'm not trying to change your mind, you are more than entitled to your opinion.

The one thing I would like to correct you on, though, is this: it is not a law that allows anyone to buy them. It is lack of a law restricting who can buy them.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

AND THAT IS EXACTLY THE POINT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Add to that the NSA spying on everyones' personal information:
One way to find out which girls do and which girls don't I guess
edit on 12-6-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Here's an example of good parenting:

Parent says, "There's this new drug out there to help stop an unwanted pregnancy. It will be made available to anyone, regardless of age. I have some major concerns about this drug, and it's safety. If you have a night of unprotected sex, and are scared about the consequences, please come to me first. I won't judge you, or punish you or hate you. I am on your side; I've got your back. You are not alone. We'll talk about your options, and I will help you make a decision that is right for you." I GUARANTEE you, that no kid who is told this in an honest and sincere way, will ever go behind your back and buy this drug.

I understand your point. But I truly believe that the kids who are most likely to buy this drug are the kids who have sucky parents.

Hey! You hacked my brain! Those are my words of wisdom!!! But they are great words of wisdom, so we can share them since they are so very wise.

I've come across various other views of parenting skills that those holding; them believe will ensure they will never have to face the prospect of their young daughter becoming pregnant before adulthood, but when that element is based on parental power over the child, it carries a potentially fatal flaw if Plan A fails setting up their child for an even bleaker future than an unplanned pregnancy.

Take for example the ideal that raising them with a strict religious upbringing depending on the fear and embarrassment of facing their family and the church bearing the fruit of such a moral sin to prevent them from any action that could put them at risk of such an outcome. Or another ideal regarding a style of parenting that depends upon the fear of raising the ire of their parents and fear of a seriously distressful punishment as a means of prevention. Now consider this, no matter what your ideals and style of parenting aimed at protecting them are, even that which I espouse, aside from locking them up in the attic until they are 30, you can't be with them 24/7 every day until they become adults there will be times when you are not there, and although you can hope that you have armored them against any potential risk, there will be times where all you can do is have some faith in your parenting and hope that when faced with certain decisions she will fall back on what you taught her, aside from that during those times you have absolutely no ability to control over her environment. As she discovers more about who she is out from under your watchful eye, she might take little guilty risks she never dared before like having a friend meet her with energy drinks they guzzle before school, they will surely be faced with some form of peer pressure and you can only hope. She might succumb to those pressures and just once convince herself that the chance of anything happening if she only gives in once because how could she turn down the prospect of being the Captain of the football teems girlfriend. Or maybe she doesn't fail you, but some big upperclassman who believes that what he wants trumps all overpowers her on the way home or during lunch break, grunts on top of her a couple of minutes, threatens to physically harm her if she discloses what he did to anyone at school and struts off leaving her alone and scared, ........ We do have a societal double standard that tends to vilify a girl willingly participating in sexual encounters, But for males casual sex is frequently considered a right of passage and the more frequently he can score the more admiration ;he receives from his peer and sometimes fathers,

Now whether she caved just once, or became more of a risk taker because of how common such behavior is amongst her peers, or one of your worst fears as a parent has occurred and she is violated against her will under the wise example provided by kaylaluv the daughter has always felt safe talking to her mother no matter what the subject, so in any of the above situations she knew she had someone to turn to and help her.

In the other two parenting examples such is unlikely to be the case; In the first set of parenting ideals she has had the belief ingrained in her that her parents would consider her a sinner and be disappointed and embarrassed by her, scared of the possible idea that she might be pregnant, and unable to deal with the mounting fear of how her family would respond she would be more likely to keep it to herself until she couldn't anymore and then turn to a peer, a stranger, or run away feeling helpless and alone, In the second set the outcome would be much the same but in fear of her parents wrath rather than disappointment.

For the last two examples the policy might save the girl from facing the absolute hopelessness of dealing with her situation alone, In the first the daughter would be more likely to turn to her mother for guidance.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join