It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Icelanic Legislator offers NSA Whistleblower support in political asylum.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Ask and ye shall receive!

In his Guardian interview with Glen Greenwald, Edward Snowden mentioned that he hoped to seek political asylum in Iceland because of their strong protection of internet freedom.

After taking over the news this weekend, at least one Icelandic legislator has put the word out that she is ready to help Mr. Snowden however she can and make sure that he arrives to Iceland safely and protected under their flag as a political dissident.

“Whereas IMMI is based in Iceland, and has worked on protections of privacy, furtherance of government transparency, and the protection of whistleblowers, we feel it is our duty to offer to assist and advise Mr. Snowden to the greatest of our ability,” their statement reads. “We are already working on detailing the legal protocols required to apply for asylum, and will over the course of the week be seeking a meeting with the newly appointed interior minister of Iceland, Mrs. Hanna Birna Kristjánsdóttir, to discuss whether an asylum request can be processed in a swift manner, should such an application be made.”

www.forbes.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Thank you Iceland!
They are anti-NWO.

Now, can they help protect him if he goes there? I hope.

JAK

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Here's a couple of related links.

The interview:
    Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations

For him, it is a matter of principle. "The government has granted itself power it is not entitled to. There is no public oversight. The result is people like myself have the latitude to go further than they are allowed to," he said.

His allegiance to internet freedom is reflected in the stickers on his laptop: "I support Online Rights: Electronic Frontier Foundation," reads one. Another hails the online organisation offering anonymity, the Tor Project.

and a further link:
    Q&A with NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden: 'I do not expect to see home again'.

Q: Washington-based foreign affairs analyst Steve Clemons said he overheard at the capital's Dulles airport four men discussing an intelligence conference they had just attended. Speaking about the leaks, one of them said, according to Clemons, that both the reporter and leaker should be "disappeared". How do you feel about that?

In Dulles UAL lounge listening to 4 US intel officials saying loudly leaker & reporter on #NSA stuff should be disappearedrecorded a bit

— Steve Clemons (@SCClemons) June 8, 2013

A: "Someone responding to the story said 'real spies do not speak like that'. Well, I am a spy and that is how they talk. Whenever we had a debate in the office on how to handle crimes, they do not defend due process – they defend decisive action. They say it is better to kick someone out of a plane than let these people have a day in court. It is an authoritarian mindset in general."

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by JAK

I am not a tweeter, but Mr Clemons seems to have 'disappeared'.

At least he said he needed to get to wifi to post the pics and audio on June 8th.... then no more from him.
I am saying that he disappeared from twitter, not literally. He made public posts about what he heard, said that he had pics and audio, what do you think happened?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Another reason of many why I'm moving to Iceland

The country is really sticking their finger to the establishment and I absolutely love it. Bravo Iceland, people with real backbone

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I've been reading through his twitter stream and it seems he's trying to identify the men first to give them a chance to clarify.

He also seems to be changing the 'tone' of what he heard, he now is indicating that they were "making jokes". (Not that I believe that, the it's a joke part)

ETA: Just looked through more of the twitter conversations and it looks to me he might be changing the tone of what he heard to try and deflect the "Obama's going to kill the informat" talk. Conversation here.
edit on 10-6-2013 by OneisOne because: add

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Thank you very much. That was helpful.

I am twitter impaired.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
this is good news for Snowden. He is a true American patriot!

breaking news.... oil found on Icelandic shelf... USA prepares to invade!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Excellent news.

I wonder if other countries will take a stand for this defender of freedom?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns
this is good news for Snowden. He is a true American patriot!

breaking news.... oil found on Icelandic shelf... USA prepares to invade!

Really hate to say it but that "breaking news" comment was exactly my first thought as well. Sanctions against Iceland here we come.

Snowden IS a true American patriot and Go Iceland!

Edit to add - Really hope he does not end up trapped in the Ecuador embassy in Hong Kong.
edit on 10-6-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This is a nice gesture, but as Snowden himself has said, "if they want to get him, they will."

He is absolutely correct. The only thing that will help him at this point is to be granted immunity which short of a political upheaval is not going to happen.

This man's life is over. Appreciate the sacrifice he made for you and don't let it go to waste..

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Keep an eye on that, seriously! A journalist overheard talk of making him disappear!

'4 Intelligence Officials' Allegedly Joke Of 'Disappearing' NSA Leaker, Reporter

GO ICELAND!
Iceland, get him there, and quick!

edit on 10-6-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

Perfect place for him with a name like Snowden! Maybe cold countries breed courageous people. Maybe not laying around on warm beaches is good for you! They stood up to the banks and now show courage again. We need some of that!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Maybe they will get him but he seems like a fairly logical guy. He's already stated he had access to massive amounts of information that the US would not like leaked. Seems he would have set up a little insurance just in case he is taken. I would have.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Obama has given him self the power to order the assassination of american citizens any ware in the world.
So he will just have him killed.

can Iceland be trusted?
will we just not here any more from him?
and that would mean that has been shipt back to usa.
and we will never here from him again.
apart from fake E-mails.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Am I the only one wondering if this guy can single-handedly accomplish ET Disclosure, while he's at it?

Whoot! GO SNOWDEN!!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Chances would be greater if he was in Iceland already, not?

Unless they pull some stunt to get him there without anyone knowing, which will be improbable.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Iceland is great, I've been there a few times and some of the nicest people on the European side of things. Good on ya Iceland, you've just become my No. 1 hero!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I sure hope he makes it safely to Iceland.

I was listening to the local news in Michigan, and they stated that the Internet was clearly against The whistleblower and called him a traitor. I don't see that coming from any of the Internet sites I visit. Does anyone else see where they are getting their info,??? unless they just made it up, which is something that I can easily believe.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
As of Monday, Edward Snowden has checked out of his Hong Kong apartment, there are no other updates as to his whereabouts.

Hong Kong is an island and is neighbored by many densely populated cities, it wouldn't be too difficult to disappear and regroup. I hope he makes it to Iceland soon, maybe he skipped town as soon as he saw the Icelandic message.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join