It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this object photographed in 1999 by French astronaut Haigneré?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Oddly, there's no English reference about this old case. The only reliable source is the French site "L'internaute".

In 1999, French astronaut Jean-Pierre Haigneré, flies into space for a 6-month mission aboard the international space station Mir. In his luggage, he brought a camera and a camcorder. During his journey, he took hundreds of shoots, through the window.

On one of them, an odd object can be seen:

Close-up:

Unfortunately, there's no better resolution available. It was suggested at one point that that was just a droplet of water in weightlessness inside MIR.

Anyway, another point that I would like to bring out before letting you express what you think is that the object aspect makes me think of the famous Costa Rica photographic case:

So what do you think ATS?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It looks photoshopped but im not an expert in photography. It may not be but it really looks like it.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Man, someone must have sneezed.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
If the photo has not been manipulated, then the content is not interesting.
If the photo has been manipulated, then the content is meaningless.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless
If the photo has not been manipulated, then the content is not interesting.
If the photo has been manipulated, then the content is meaningless.

Wait...what?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

My first impression was a CD/DVD (or similar) disk.

I blew the image, enhanced the color and it looks just like that. The reflection from the gold anodized surface reflect light in about the same way.

Spent all of 2 minutes in the process so... I could be wrong. There are no UFO 'experts'. Just an opinion.
edit on 9-6-2013 by redoubt because: typo repair

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Its hard to say as I can find little to nothing about the picture , the story in the link doesn't mention a UFO picture in the gallery so I can only assume that the object was not anomalous .

A reflection perhaps ?

edit on 9-6-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I've haven't seen or heard of this photograph so thanks for taking the time to post about it

If authentic, it's certainly interesting. If the provenance is as good as it appears, it's automatically elevated above the usual examples of alleged UFOs in photographs.

Am I right in thinking the original photo is part of the Galerie Agathe Gaillard exhibition? Was it digital or film? Would there be an original digital file in the possession of Haigneré or perhaps a negative?

I wonder if CNES or even GEPAN studied the image? If not, I wonder why not?

Lots of questions and nowhere to begin with the answers!

ETA - the Costa Rica image has always bugged me because of its asymmetry. Given the implication that it might have been a disc-shaped craft, the lack of rotational symmetry would make such an object appear counter-intuitive from a structural engineering point of view. A puzzler...

edit on 9-6-2013 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

I've haven't seen or heard of this photograph so thanks for taking the time to post about it

If authentic, it's certainly interesting. If the provenance is as good as it appears, it's automatically elevated above the usual examples of alleged UFOs in photographs.

Hi Kandinsky,

Lots of good questions you have here. My answers so far:

Am I right in thinking the original photo is part of the Galerie Agathe Gaillard exhibition?

Absolutely! That why I'll try to see if there's any possibility to buy a better image resolution and possibly more infos about the camera used by Haigneré.

Was it digital or film?

I have no idea.

Would there be an original digital file in the possession of Haigneré or perhaps a negative?

Yes, very likely. Unfortunately, I don't really think that there's any chance to get it either.

I wonder if CNES or even GEPAN studied the image? If not, I wonder why not?

That's the million dollar question. However, as I have some good contacts in CNES/GEIPAN, I'll ask and come back to the thread ASAP.

ETA - the Costa Rica image has always bugged me because of its asymmetry. Given the implication that it might have been a disc-shaped craft, the lack of rotational symmetry would make such an object appear counter-intuitive from a structural engineering point of view. A puzzler...

The same goes for me as well. And what do you think of the idea that the Haigneré photo could be a clue or be helpful in any way for the Costa Rica photo?
edit on 9-6-2013 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I would really love to see a blow up of this image. I would get it done myself, but I am about as much use with computers as I am with bank statements, which is none what so ever.

Incidentally, and along the same lines, your "close" up is just a cropped image by the looks of it, since the object appears the same diameter in both images, just FYI

Edit to add, a clean, unbuggered about with blow up, rather than the multicoloured madness provided above, or the close up that wasnt a close up.
edit on 9-6-2013 by TrueBrit because: Information added to request.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Maybe it's this ....

Spacewalk Jean-Pierre Haigneré and Viktor Afanasyev. Recovery of Comet experience dedicated to exobiology, outside Mir. Credits: CNES / JP-Haigneré, 1999

www.cnes.fr...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if Jimbo has a video laying around on his harddrive somewhere of this object.

You should U2U JimOberg and ask him if he knows anything about it.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Kinda looks like this...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

naa....looks more like a.....one of those..........you know......drip type shower heads.......

I do understand and have a colection of pictures of........all the photographed types that are seen from orbit.
This one looks in different league than the rest.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by freelance_zenarchist
I wouldn't be surprised if Jimbo has a video laying around on his harddrive somewhere of this object.

You should U2U JimOberg and ask him if he knows anything about it.

No games, just full disclosure. I don't recognize it, but there was a lot of junk being shoved out the mir's trash airlock, and on EVAs the crew would throw bigger stuff overboard, including worn-out spacesuits that they held mock 'funerals' for. I'm checking with space geek buddies on this one.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

in my opinion its probably a mirror that broke off of a telescope/satellite.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

it makes you think about how much money they waste on rocket fuel.
edit on 10-6-2013 by Gemwolf because: Fixed video embed

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by xodiach

youtube say your vid does not exist

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Wow incredible picture and it does look the same as that other ufo in the black and white pic. It be nice if someone could get the French astronaut to comment on both pictures to hear his views.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by xodiach
reply to post by intrptr

it makes you think about how much money they waste on rocket fuel.

Hey, xodiach... welcome to ATS! Thanks for that video, it was awesome. I fixed the link for you, you can click on the "Quote" window in my post to see how to embed YouTube videos. You want to just capture the ID number between the yvid brackets. The ID number is the part between or after the "=" signs. Looks like this:

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join