It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant bizarre deep sea fish filmed in Gulf of Mexico

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Using a remotely operated vehicle, they caught a rare glimpse of the huge oarfish, perhaps the first sighting of the fish in its natural setting.
The oarfish, which can reach 17m long, has previously only been seen on a few occasions dying at the sea surface, or dead washed ashore.
The scientists also filmed for the first time the behaviour of a manefish.

"As we approached it retreated downwards swimming tail first in a vertical orientation as the ROV followed," Professor Benfield explained.
The team followed the fish for about five minutes before breaking off contact to resume their surveys.
"What was interesting about the fish was its swimming behaviour," said Professor Benfield.
"It moved by undulating its dorsal fin in waves that propelled it backwards at quite a good speed."
Early estimates measure the fish at between 5m and 10m in length.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I thought this was pretty interesting as it is the first time it has been filmed before. It also seems to swim in an unusual way, unlike most regular fish and elongated fish such as eels.

Thanks,.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Damn, the moment i opened the thread i was looking at your avatar and thinking, that is indeed a bizarre fish.

Always interesting to read these stories of bizarre creatures. This one's new for me.
One of the world's longest fish, up to 17 meters.
quite long indeed and manage to get all of this swimming...backwards.

And that manefish looks also cool.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Watching it swim is what is really beautiful!
Wow

We never really know what is swimming in our oceans until we see it do we??

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Their strange appearance may have provided the basis for the sea serpent myths told by early ocean travellers.

The way it moves, it kinda reminded me of a Chinese dragon from those traditional dances/parades.

You know what the most intriguing part of this article was to me though:

Mark Benfield from Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, US was undertaking a survey as part of the Serpent project, a collaboration between marine scientists and energy companies such as BP, Shell, Chevron and Petrobras working in the Gulf of Mexico.

Using remotely operated vehicles (ROV) provided by the oil and gas companies, the scientists are able to explore the deep like never before.

Interesting that they're donating their ROV's for science. Doing some PR? Feeling guilty? Or are they trying to see what's mutating down there since they flooded the place with dirty oil...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I love it when some bizarre deep sea creature like this is "found"...and because the OP link cannot embed the video...I went to YT and found this

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

The 1980s video quality and coloring instantly made me think of The Abyss.

S+F

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

I so love to see that we after "all this time" we still see stuff hardly ever seen...
make ya wonder what else is out there.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

I think oarfish were once much more abundant and often seen . They probably also got a lot bigger .
I suspect they were the inspiration for ancient dragons .

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII
reply to post by C0bzz

I think oarfish were once much more abundant and often seen . They probably also got a lot bigger .
I suspect they were the inspiration for ancient dragons .
Or, the inspiration for ancient oars?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
They get pretty big...

life-sea.blogspot.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
A pict of a big one with some navy men:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Another sea creature (not newly discovered) with a special style of locomotion.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Why is that video dated 07/10/08 if this is new?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Wow that is large.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Nice!

Fish are cool... its a shame we are slowly killing them off! (well, BP are trying their best!)

edit on 11-6-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by On7a7higher7plane
reply to post by C0bzz

Wow that is large.

...resisting urge to make the joke that EVERY guy who read that thought of...

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Indeed very intriguing.

However the article is already three years old, in case you didn't notice.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

except for the fact they are deep sea dwelling fish..... or are you suggesting there are ancient scubadivers as well as ancient aliens

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

Using a remotely operated vehicle, they caught a rare glimpse of the huge oarfish, perhaps the first sighting of the fish in its natural setting.
The oarfish, which can reach 17m long, has previously only been seen on a few occasions dying at the sea surface, or dead washed ashore.
The scientists also filmed for the first time the behaviour of a manefish.

"As we approached it retreated downwards swimming tail first in a vertical orientation as the ROV followed," Professor Benfield explained.
The team followed the fish for about five minutes before breaking off contact to resume their surveys.
"What was interesting about the fish was its swimming behaviour," said Professor Benfield.
"It moved by undulating its dorsal fin in waves that propelled it backwards at quite a good speed."
Early estimates measure the fish at between 5m and 10m in length.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I thought this was pretty interesting as it is the first time it has been filmed before. It also seems to swim in an unusual way, unlike most regular fish and elongated fish such as eels.

Thanks,.

That is cool. These creatures are well known. You can easily find video of them eating dead whale carcusses on youtube.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
what a beautiful creature, deep sea is so fascinating. How many wonderful things must be down there, but we should leave it alone, everything we touch gets destroyed sadly

new topics

top topics

join