It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Western investigative journalists are muzzled in Iran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
An email intended for a senior editor at Time Magazine, which was accidentally sent to The Truth Is Viral by Iranian press officer Alireza Miryousefi, shows that the "fixing" agency they are using to handle arrangements for a Time reporter in Iran has told the magazine that their reporter would not be allowed to conduct any unsupervised interviews or even have dinner outside of their Iranian state approved hotel.

"Ali, we are hearing from Ivan Sahar that journalists will not be allowed to conduct individual interviews, or even have dinner outside the hotel," the email from a senior editor at Time magazine stated.

If Time Magazine's own "fixer" is telling them that their reporter would basically be locked down inside his hotel without a government minder, the question has to be asked: Is there any truth at all coming out of Iran, or just information the Islamic Republic approves?

So if non-state sanctioned news is being hobbled coming out of Iran. What is really going on there?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I'm just kinda wondering here....are we surprised by this? Iran is not a free nation and it's never claimed to be? There is an international trade zone they have established on an island in the gulf which is about as close to free as Iran gets for their territory but freedom of the press is a concept they didn't just fail to embrace....they never even gave a passing thought to. Nothing unique. Most of the world sees freedom of the press as a really weird American concept.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
With all the spies that the western governments keep trying to slip Iran can you blame them? And seeing how the media is controlled in the west we really can't point any fingers because the press really isn't free here.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I'll agree with you on this one, Buster. The West is actually worse this time. Iran never claims or makes itself out to be a land of freedom to the media or speech. They're up front about the fact it's a state controlled area of life. The West merely gives the illusion it's all free and open when it's just as controlled, albeit in quite different ways and with a different focus.

Which is worse? The one who gives no freedom in the first place or the one who claims to and then yanks it back at every quiet turn in the path?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
With all the spies that the western governments keep trying to slip Iran can you blame them? And seeing how the media is controlled in the west we really can't point any fingers because the press really isn't free here.

Wouldn't allowing journalists talk to whomever they wanted go a long way in normalizing relations with the West? After all, what have the Iranians got to hide?

While we're on the subject of being open and honest, maybe they could let UN weapons inspectors visit ALL of their plants, declared AND undeclared.

After all, they aren't trying to build a nuke right? So what have they got to hide?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The totalitarian Iranian government propaganda machine wouldn't survive a 'free press'. That government tries to prop itself up as being innocent to it's people. But the dark truth is just the opposite. The government prisons are full of 'political prisoners' who are raped and tortured and murdered. If the Iranian people found out the truth about that, the government wouldn't last out a week. Iran has it's claws into the business of a whole lot of other countries on this planet ... and the Iranian government is an international sponsor of terrorism (Hezbollah and Hamas being two of the biggies).

I feel bad for the Iranians who buy into what their government is selling via the propaganda machine. Some of those people end up here parroting what they are told via official Iranian government propaganda outlets (what they call 'news' over there). Sure, the MSM here is tainted and biased .. but compared to the press in Iran, ours is a gem to behold.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The totalitarian Iranian government propaganda machine wouldn't survive a 'free press'. That government tries to prop itself up as being innocent to it's people. But the dark truth is just the opposite. The government prisons are full of 'political prisoners' who are raped and tortured and murdered. If the Iranian people found out the truth about that, the government wouldn't last out a week. Iran has it's claws into the business of a whole lot of other countries on this planet ... and the Iranian government is an international sponsor of terrorism (Hezbollah and Hamas being two of the biggies).

I feel bad for the Iranians who buy into what their government is selling via the propaganda machine. Some of those people end up here parroting what they are told via official Iranian government propaganda outlets (what they call 'news' over there). Sure, the MSM here is tainted and biased .. but compared to the press in Iran, ours is a gem to behold.

Do you really think the average Iranian on the street is fooled? The PEOPLE, not the government, of Iran are the most Western friendly of any Islamic nation. Why do you think that is? I'd say because they have found a way to get the truth from outside sources. As a matter of fact I think I've seen a couple of posters who claim to be Iranians living in Iran right here on ATS. They do have internet don't they? Well they did until recently as I remember reading something about them creating an Iranian Intranet.

I wonder if Algore is going to help design it.

edit on 9-6-2013 by IRockTheBox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by IRockTheBox

Wouldn't allowing journalists talk to whomever they wanted go a long way in normalizing relations with the West? After all, what have the Iranians got to hide?

While we're on the subject of being open and honest, maybe they could let UN weapons inspectors visit ALL of their plants, declared AND undeclared.

After all, they aren't trying to build a nuke right? So what have they got to hide?

What have they got to hide. This is what the western governments say when they start taking away our freedoms like when they demand all phone records of it citizens. And Iran has had more inspectors go through their nuke program than any other nation. And guess what no evidence of any bomb making. So you can drop the bomb nonsense at least they let inspectors in their nation unlike others in the region.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Do you really think the average Iranian on the street is fooled?

The Iranians who have shown up here certainly have been. Over the years, we've had a handful who somehow managed to get ATS access, and they have been spouting the typical totalitarian Iranian Government BS. I have no doubt that at least a few of them were Iranian government sponsored and/or agents. They were pretty obvious.

As a matter of fact I think I've seen a couple of posters who claim to be Iranians living in Iran right here on ATS.

And so you have to ask yourself .... why were they allowed access to ATS ... and you have to look at what they are posting - is it in lock step with the Iranian government.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Freedom of the press no longer exists in the USA or to a large extent the European press either.

I don't think the myriad threads about Obama having a pop at journos and the UK telling Journos to 'shut up' can be mistaken for anything near 'freedom'...at least Iran actually allowed them into Iran, restrictions on free movement can be found in many major countries...China for example.
edit on 9-6-2013 by MysterX because: added text

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

So giving weapons to allies that are fighting against hostile invaders in their lands makes them a sponsor of terrorism? It should be simple to figure out that the ones doing the invading are the terrorist unless you choose to believe the propaganda. Btw what was the last nation that Iran invaded or even declared war on?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Do you really think the average Iranian on the street is fooled?

The Iranians who have shown up here certainly have been. Over the years, we've had a handful who somehow managed to get ATS access, and they have been spouting the typical totalitarian Iranian Government BS. I have no doubt that at least a few of them were Iranian government sponsored and/or agents. They were pretty obvious.

As a matter of fact I think I've seen a couple of posters who claim to be Iranians living in Iran right here on ATS.

And so you have to ask yourself .... why were they allowed access to ATS ... and you have to look at what they are posting - is it in lock step with the Iranian government.

Do you ever stop to question the propaganda or did you just choose to believe it? Have you ever been to Iran seeing how you know much more than the citizens of that nation.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Btw what was the last nation that Iran invaded or even declared war on?

Oh pahleeze ... Iran is just as corrupt as the rest. They aren't innocent. Their prisons are full of political prisoners being raped, beaten and murdered. The government has it's claws into other countries via terrorist groups like Hezbollah and Hamas, and they are active in South America. Iran isn't innocent.

Do you ever stop to question the propaganda or did you just choose to believe it? .

.. says the guy who buys into the Iranian apologist rhetoric.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Oh pahleeze ... Iran is just as corrupt as the rest. They aren't innocent. Their prisons are full of political prisoners being raped, beaten and murdered. The government has it's claws into other countries via terrorist groups like Hezbollah and Hamas, and they are active in South America. Iran isn't innocent.

Do you ever stop to question the propaganda or did you just choose to believe it? .

FF forgot that Iran is now a Ghey Free Zone.

It's also a Freedom Free Zone

And they want to bring that barbarity to the Civilized West. This next video was produced BY THE IRANIAN GOVERNMENT, and if you take the time to watch it (which I'm sure you won't) it would probably have a profound impact on the way you think.

Remember, this was not made by dissidents or foreigners. This video is an official production of the Islamic Republic of Iran.

edit on 9-6-2013 by IRockTheBox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

What's with the oh please and answer the question. What nation has Iran declared war on? What's the matter question too hard?

Buys into the Iranian apologist rhetoric or isn't so blinded by propaganda to see this is the same BS we were fed that led to the war with Iraq. What did the west do with all those WMD's that we found there?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I hope the reason you have yet to reply is because you are watching that last video. I'm REALLY interested in what you think about it.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by IRockTheBox

this is true that Iran is not a free press land but the last movie you posted is about appearance of 12th Imam. it was a controversial movie even in Iran and it caused lots of protests !

Ali-Asghar Sijani, director of "The Emergence [of the Imam of the Era] is Very Near," a movie which praised Ahmadinejad, is once again arrested.
www.criticalthreats.org...
www.accessmylibrary.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

What's with the oh please

Really? You don't get it? It's very simple. You are buying into the pro-Iranian rhetoric and at the same time you are closing your eyes to the FACTS that show Iran is NOT innocent. Most countries are not.

What nation has Iran declared war on? What's the matter question too hard?

A nation doesn't have to officially declare war with another to be at war.
Apparently that concept is too hard for you to understand.

Iran is NOT minding it's own business and is involved, in a very deadly way, around the world.
That's the truth. Deal with it.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

What's with the oh please

Really? You don't get it? It's very simple. You are buying into the pro-Iranian rhetoric and at the same time you are closing your eyes to the FACTS that show Iran is NOT innocent. Most countries are not.

What nation has Iran declared war on? What's the matter question too hard?

A nation doesn't have to officially declare war with another to be at war.
Apparently that concept is too hard for you to understand.

Iran is NOT minding it's own business and is involved, in a very deadly way, around the world.
That's the truth. Deal with it.

It always astonishes me how Iranian apologists so easily dismiss the horrific human rights violations in Iran, like the death of every gay person in the country (they haven't caught them all, I'm sure, but they want to), the stoning of rape victims, and the murders of protestors in the streets by Basij militia.

Who has Iran (the mullahs) invaded in the last 100 years? Iran! The people are sick of them and want them gone!.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Of course they're being muzzled. Obama doesn't want We the People to know the truth. That doesn't serve his agenda. We must all be good little robots and believe everything he and his liberal media tells us.

Do you really take us all for a bunch of Thimerosal lobotomized idiots, Barry? I haven't had a flu shot since the 1970s and I haven't had a flu since the 80s. There are a lot more people like me out here than you counted on, you worthless fascist puppet. Tell your Bilderberg buddies they will loose. And don't go blaming Duhbyuh when you fail and they decide to whack you.

Have a nice time in Hell, Barry Boy, because that exactly where you're going. When you get there tell old horny head I'll see him eventually and when I do I'll kick his sorry ass into Tartarus!

<<   2 >>

join