It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advaita vs Dvaita

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Advaita
noun
one of the two principal Vedantic schools, asserting the existence of Brahman alone, whose appearance as the world is an illusion resulting from ignorance.

Dvaita
noun
(in Vedantic philosophy) one of the two principal schools, asserting that entities have a real existence apart from Brahman.

- definitions from dictionary.com

For those who believe, which would you lean towards as far as your perspective of God? Although these two terms are commonly associated with Hinduism, I think the general meaning can be applied to any belief system.

I think advaita is a valid concept but it doesn't seem practical from my perspective. To be a wave in the ocean does not mean you are the ocean itself.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy

Advaita
noun
one of the two principal Vedantic schools, asserting the existence of Brahman alone, whose appearance as the world is an illusion resulting from ignorance.

Dvaita
noun
(in Vedantic philosophy) one of the two principal schools, asserting that entities have a real existence apart from Brahman.

- definitions from dictionary.com

For those who believe, which would you lean towards as far as your perspective of God? Although these two terms are commonly associated with Hinduism, I think the general meaning can be applied to any belief system.

I think advaita is a valid concept but it doesn't seem practical from my perspective. To be a wave in the ocean does not mean you are the ocean itself.

What are your thoughts on the Vedanta schools of vishishtadvaita, dvaitadvaita, and achintya-bheda-abheda?

Sorry about the minimal post. Just curious on what your take is on those schools of Vedanta, all closely related to advaita and dvaita.

join