It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Harper Is Learning the #1 Most Important Political Lesson

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
reply to post by kimar

Trust me, as bad as Harper is, if either of those two get elected the resulting mess will make Harper seem like a saint.

Respectfully, no I won't trust you on that. Provide some evidence to back your claim up. Nothing in either of their histories, actions, or beliefs leads me to the conclusion that they have even a fraction of the contempt for Canadian values and Canadian democracy that Harper so clearly does. In my previous post, I outlined just a few basics examples of this contempt.

With regards to the CBC, I can't take claims that it is "a leftist propaganda machine" seriously. That's a reckless and irresponsible statement.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Well I knew the CBC was doomed the day they pulled "Littlest Hobo" off the air.....

Seriously though...

The CBC is the only broadcaster in Canada that promotes the fact that we are Canadian. Every other network is just flooded with American television shows. I personally feel that having the CBC around contributes greatly to our national identity. CBC is the only network that exposes us to our own culture. When I was a kid living on the farm, we only had 4 channels available and I would watch CBC a lot. I really didn't like the quality of programming back then though, but over time I've come to appreciate it. Canadians are an interesting breed of Human, and without the CBC I think we would lose a big part of our cultural identity. We are considered to be the most polite people on the planet and it's because of (in part at least) the CBC. Up until networks like Discovery popped up, it was the ONLY TV station in Canada that would air educational programing. .

The best part of the CBC?? The National, with Lloyd Robertson. It's the only news program that HASN'T adopted the American style of fear mongering... We could be facing imminent doom and Lloyd would deliver the news in a calm and rational manner. When the rest of the world stops to panic, we Canadians would just sit back on the porch and crack open a beer. "Cheers to the end, eh!"

I honestly think that CBC is getting cut because it's the only broadcaster that would stand up against the Harper Government. It's not our governments tool for control, and so they need to shut it down.

But that's just my uneducated opinion...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PollyPeptide

I agree totally. The only thing, its Peter Mansbridge who hosts The National. Lloyd Robertson used to be with CTV.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Well said, fellow canuck

Stephan Harper has been PM for far to long.. It feel like 10 years now? lol.

You are correct about news outlets have more influence on the people then the government. Without anyone broadly casting their bull#, no one knows, no one really cares.

The people listen to anchor(wo)men, journalists, reporters.. The only reason politicians and government officials get notice is from the news broadcast.

Would be a good idea for common people to create their own broadcast system, seperate from the mainstream stuff. Then we can broadcast what NEEDS to be heard and talked about; rather whatever benefits a few peoples national/global agenda.

Thanks tenth

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I like what you said as well my friend

Cheers, eh

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
CBC is a shell of what it once was, feigning to be a "national" voice when we all know they just pander to the Toronto area to help pay their enormous bills. They don't stand up to anything in the government unless its allowed, if they actually did try to be more investigative they would probably lose all their precious priviledges with parliament.
Canada really needs media that is not based in Toronto

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

The Littlest Hobo was shown on CTV, not CBC.

Tried to avoid watching it whenever possible, which was just about always.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
reply to post by Unity_99

and Muclair and Trudeau - are they any better? Hardly.

We have nothing to choose from.....and your power to the people. Now that makes me laugh. There is no power to the people, someone corrupt ALWAYS rises to power if you give them enough time.

edit on 8-6-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

Just a tad better, yes. But I rarely vote. Its far too corrupt.

I do recall that when Harper went for his majority government, 3 X in back to back elections, unheard in my lifetime that this had ever happened. Why anyone gave him his mandate when it was so obvious he was up to something, is really questionable. He put in some draconian measures on issues he had no right to go near, for their legislation is criminal.

But on their second attempt, the only party I ever really voted for, NDP, Layton, won many seats over their expected amount and suddenly Layton died of a fast acting prostate cancer.

Murder Incorporated struck again!

I want jail time for these evil ones.
edit on 10-6-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by kimar

Lloyd Robertson anchored CBC's The National from 1970 to 1976.

He left the CBC in part due to union regulations of the time which prevented him as anchor from writing his own scripts or participating in editorial decisions concerning the news broadcast. (Gittins, Susan (1999). CTV: The Television Wars. Stoddart Publishing Co. Limited. p. 118.)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Where do you come up with this crap?

I don't know how old you are but in my lifetime a couple of minority governments followed by a majority government is not unprecedented.

1963 - minority Liberal government
1965 - minority Liberal government
1968 - majority Liberal government

It was even the same number of years between elections as for Harper ('06, '08, '11)

None of the legislation passed by the current government is criminal. You may not like it but your dislike is not grounds for declaring it to be criminal.

You seem to be claiming that Jack Layton was murdered. Do you have any actual proof of this or is this just another one of your silly delusions?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Wait...I fail to see the problem?

Harper did what was required, kick CBC in the financial nuts.

Now, CBC is doing what they are actually supposed to do...be a pitbull reporter for the people...

Inadvertent move by Harper? Sure.

Problem? Not really.

The only problem I kind of see is this:

The other parties are going to think that CBC has a vendetta against the 'C's...maybe they do, maybe they don't. What they are failing to realise is how much support CBC will get for being hard nosed reporters demanding honesty to the public. If the CBC goes back to being a government mouthpiece, they are going to loose a great deal of support...and they are a media outlet above all else...they will do what they need to to keep those viewers. They will be forced to be pitbulls to every Canadian politician...

Again, I don't see the problem.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Don't mess with the CBC. Don't screw with their budget, don't screw with their mandate.

For those of you who aren't Canadian, the CBC is our version the BBC. Paid for by tax payers and created in order to promote Canadian news and Canadian programming.

For decades, politicians, business owners and even the general public have known that the CBC is 'usually' a mouth piece for either the political party in power, or the official opposition.

That all changed last year. Stephen Harper's austerity filled budget also included cuts to CBC's budget. This caused the CBC to cancel some very popular and long running programs as well as having to start firing staff.

Since this perceived attack on the CBC took place, they've been the most aggressive I have ever seen when it comes to exposing scandals, asking actual hard questions and not bowing to the pressure of the government.

As we saw with the Canadian Foreign Workers Program, the Senate Finance Scandal and the Voter Fraud allegations from last year's election, the CBC has been the only major news outlet in Canada to challenge our governments ineptitude and criticize their often lame rhetoric and question dodging.

This is why a publicly owned media is important for any nation to have. Not one controlled by the state, but paid for by the taxpayers and with a mandate to inform and with journalistic integrity standards written and enforced by law.

Mark my words Stephen Harper and your Western Reform Party, your downfall will not be because you are a corrupt and have committed acts of treason against Canadians. It will be because you insulted a group of people who hold more sway and have far more political power than you ever could dream of.

~Tenth
edit on 6/8/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

Canada... What happened? Canada is the biggest state in the union now isn't it?
edit on 10-6-2013 by LastStarfighter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by erwalker

Thanks for correcting me! I didn't know this!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by MidnightTide

and is that a good thing?

No, I would rather we bring him to court for his crimes and then exile him from the country, remove his citizen status. But if the CBC is gonna take care of it, I'm not bothered by the means.

Yeah, I would like to see Harper in a legitimate court, not the kangaroo court crap we have here in Canada. I think Harper should be charged with treason and if found guilty in said legitimate court, be hung by the neck. Harper has done way too much damage to Canada and its people to let this sucker off. That isn't implying that past politicians did any good, it's just a matter of varying evil when it comes to politicians as they simply enrich themselves and their close criminal allies at the expense of everyone else.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Hey, if we are going to start hanging politicians count me in.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Kindly explain just how Harper has violated Section 46 of the Criminal Code of Canada.

Not liking the man, his government, his policies, or his government's legislation is not grounds for charging him with treason.

If you don't like the results of the last election, maybe you should put some effort into convincing the public that they should vote for a party more in line with your views during the next election campaign.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by erwalker
Kindly explain just how Harper has violated Section 46 of the Criminal Code of Canada.

Maybe...

Section 46 - (c) assists an enemy at war with Canada, or any armed forces against whom Canadian Forces are engaged in hostilities, whether or not a state of war exists between Canada and the country whose forces they are.

Selling Oil Sands development to a government owned Chinese company while making secret promises to them, likely including a pipeline to the coast for exporting raw bitumen in their direction. A state of war may not exist, but there certainly is an espionage war going on and has been for years. To add to that, there have been warnings by the CSIS that the Chinese are attempting to influence members of provincial parliaments (MPP's).

It may be a questionable charge, but the absolute obstinacy of Joe Oliver to get that oil to China somehow, ANYHOW, whether it's the Northern Gateway, XL or west to east pipelines has me wondering why it's so damn important.

Ask yourself why the majority of Canadians are paying world prices for oil because they need to import it from the ME? Even Alberta is paying high prices, which shocked me when I heard about it.

If we are going to stay with steaming bitumen out of the Oil Sands, then, for God's sake, let's employ Canadians at refining it and selling it here as well as exporting the finished products. Build refineries. Why is that so impossible? Is it because of the deal the Harper Government struck with the Chinese? Is Harper working for the welfare of Canadians or for the benefit of the Chinese and their needs?

More questions than answers, as usual with this secretive government.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by MidnightTide

In the balance between a monopolist/fascist/corrupt psychopathic leader, or unions and power to the people , you sound like power to the people is the worst evil. OMG no wonder this world is so sickening and so many are suffering. We, all of us, without exception, and no one is off the hook, have a duty to wake up and stand for equality and the people. Cannot graduate earth and hellzones like this otherwise.

Harper needs life in prison, he's that bad!

BIG star for you my friend!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by PollyPeptide
Well I knew the CBC was doomed the day they pulled "Littlest Hobo" off the air.....

Seriously though...

The CBC is the only broadcaster in Canada that promotes the fact that we are Canadian. Every other network is just flooded with American television shows. I personally feel that having the CBC around contributes greatly to our national identity. CBC is the only network that exposes us to our own culture. When I was a kid living on the farm, we only had 4 channels available and I would watch CBC a lot. I really didn't like the quality of programming back then though, but over time I've come to appreciate it. Canadians are an interesting breed of Human, and without the CBC I think we would lose a big part of our cultural identity. We are considered to be the most polite people on the planet and it's because of (in part at least) the CBC. Up until networks like Discovery popped up, it was the ONLY TV station in Canada that would air educational programing. .

The best part of the CBC?? The National, with Lloyd Robertson. It's the only news program that HASN'T adopted the American style of fear mongering... We could be facing imminent doom and Lloyd would deliver the news in a calm and rational manner. When the rest of the world stops to panic, we Canadians would just sit back on the porch and crack open a beer. "Cheers to the end, eh!"

I honestly think that CBC is getting cut because it's the only broadcaster that would stand up against the Harper Government. It's not our governments tool for control, and so they need to shut it down.

But that's just my uneducated opinion...

Very well said...we need an institution such as the CBC in order to keep this country from being culturally and politically subsumed by the country to the south of us!
edit on 10-6-2013 by krazykanuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Maybe...

Section 46 - (c) assists an enemy at war with Canada, or any armed forces against whom Canadian Forces are engaged in hostilities, whether or not a state of war exists between Canada and the country whose forces they are.

While the part you underlined is important, you are ignoring the part that specifies "Canadian Forces". Our military is not currently engaged in hostilities with any country's armed forces, unless you count the Taliban.

Ask yourself why the majority of Canadians are paying world prices for oil because they need to import it from the ME? Even Alberta is paying high prices, which shocked me when I heard about it.

Selling our fuel to ourselves at less than world prices would be in violation of trade agreements that were signed before Harper ever came to power. Effectively subsidizing our industry with low fuel prices would have major consequences that would make the softwood lumber tiff seem inconsequential.

If we are going to stay with steaming bitumen out of the Oil Sands, then, for God's sake, let's employ Canadians at refining it and selling it here as well as exporting the finished products. Build refineries. Why is that so impossible? Is it because of the deal the Harper Government struck with the Chinese? Is Harper working for the welfare of Canadians or for the benefit of the Chinese and their needs?

If we were able to send crude from the Oil Sands to refineries in the east, which have capacity that is currently being used to refine ME oil, we would no longer have to import that oil. We actually refine more oil than we currently consume. The fact that we aren't building new refineries has more to do with the economics of it than any possible secret deal. The upgrader being built north of Edmonton is costing around $5 billion.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join