It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia GOP asks for concealed gun permit holders personal information

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

The Republic Party of Virginia has sent letters to circuit courts across the Commonwealth asking for the personal information of concealed weapons permit holders.

The party wants the information in order to send campaign materials to like-minded voters. However, at least one GOP supporter is crying foul.

Joseph Waymack heard about the request while at work at the Hopewell Commonwealth's Attorney's Office Friday morning. He immediately sent a competing letter to the Prince George Circuit Court. Waymack lives in Prince George and has his concealed weapons permit through the circuit court there.

Waymack also sent a letter to the Republican Party of Virginia asking them to rescind their request.

"To data mine hundreds of thousands of Virginians personal information is just reprehensible," said Waymack.

What's more, the request comes less than a month before a Republican-backed bill banning that information from getting out becomes law.

Attorney General candidate Mark Obenshain introduced the bi-partisan bill to the General Assembly. It passed with overwhelming support in March and was later signed by the Governor.

On July 1, the confidential information required for concealed carry permits will be off limits.

"This is clearly a way by the party to circumvent a law that's about to go into effect," said Waymack.

NBC12 reached out to the Republican Party of Virginia. It said it doesn't want to publish the information but use it to inform voters.

A statement from the party reads in part, "We are working actively to ensure that voters who are concerned about second amendment issues stay informed about Democratic efforts to limit our right to keep and bare arms."

Waymack says if the RPV doesn't rescind their request, he plans to file a lawsuit against the group Monday.

Source

I wanted to report this here because it's only breaking locally and this is a relative of mine taking the stand. I want this to get to as many of the people here in Virginia and else where as well. If they're trying this in a place as entrenched in 2nd amendment rights as Va then not many are safe. Anyway I can take questions on a limited basis and will pass anything good along to Mr. Waymack.

I would also like to add this is not a partisan thread and I can assure you if this was a Dem. trying this he would fight that as well as far as I know. So keep the discussion on the actual topic at hand guys...and thanks in advance.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
So my update is that the lawsuit is drawn up and will be filed Monday it will include an injunction on this FOIA request. I have it on good word this is a slam dunk and will be shot down if they don't withdraw before monday morning.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
good and good luck.
keeping ppl in the 'loop' is why we have public information highways

what a ridiculous excuse to get around the 'privacy' of the people.

i wonder, would the GOP release the personal info of all their members who have been behaving scandalously ?? after all, the people deserve to know so they can properly vote them OUT.

what a mis-mash of poor planning, poor execution and horrible reasoning.
is this really what the GOP has become ???
sad if true and darn glad i left that group of lunatics.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

Very disturbing to see the GOP morphing into a fascist authoritarian party. It's clear that they've put gun control high on their agenda. Why else would they want these details? They have no right to know, and there's no need for it.

edit on 8/6/13 by Sankari because: typo...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

From the article :

The party wants the information in order to send campaign materials to like-minded voters.

Really? If you already have your CHL (or CCW, name varies state by state)....odds are you are already up to date on politics regarding to firearms, and have a set view on gun laws.
edit on 8-6-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Basically the bill put through Va senate was sponsored by the Republicans but was also well supported by Democrats. Signed into law by the Republican governor, then just before it goes into law they figure they can circumvent their own bill and get the info before their bill passes this is just a plain slap in the face and I can assure you that some republican party members somewhere in VA aren't sleeping well tonight.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

What is even more clear is how both parties are basically the different sides of the same coin. They only differ on superficial issues really but as far as vote counts and where their loyalties lie...well isn't it obvious.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Exactly not to mention isn't it the NRA that normally does that being they are bi-partisan and only have concern for gun laws and our 2nd amendment. I can tell you I came up in a family that hunted and lived rurally so guns/gun safety and gun law are things you just learn early. To the people in this area this is an egregious offense and will not be let go lightly. On the other hand I hope this doesn't mean they all think they can fix their problems by voting democrat because you'll just get more of the same.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Id bet this will turn out to be just plain old stupidity on somebodys part....
The two parties take such liberties with the laws that they cant conceal their contempt for it 100%, and sometimes we get a peek at what they really think of the law.....and the voters

top topics

join