It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another close asteroid flyby between earth and moon 6/8/13....previously undetected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Seem to be happening more and more lately, or being reported at the last minute at least...previously undetected but pretty darn close.

I have to wonder how they know a newly discovered asteroid will not hit when they have to constantly update others based on multiple observations. How quickly can it be determined that one will not hit us and why do they have a need to update them if they have already determined this?

Asteroid

A small, newly discovered asteroid will pass within the distance from the Earth to the moon this weekend, and you can watch its approach live online today. The space rock, called 2013 LR6, is between 16-53 feet wide and is in no danger of hitting the Earth, experts say. The garbage truck-size asteroid's closest approach will bring it about 68,351 miles above the surface of the planet tomorrow.

edit on 6/7/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Yup saw that and ya there have been quite a few flybys in the last year, and some that were more than just fly bys.

Time Person of the year:

The Asteroid.

Wait that doesn't make sense..
edit on 7-6-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

Ha..now that would be funny. While they say this one will not hit the Earth based on their calculations at this time, I do have to wonder what the odds are of it hitting the Moon.

They seem to say that this one is roughly the same size as the one that exploded in Russia so should this one actually hit it would be quite a large explosion wherever it landed.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for the day that they say that a giant asteroid is heading for Earth and will wipe out all of humanity.

What a glorious day that will be.

Until then, thanks for the post!!

S&F

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Quyll

Ha! Yeah it will happen just as it did on Deep Impact, Morgan Freeman (Obama) will announce it to the country that we are about to be hit.

Come to think of it with all the people claiming movie makers know stuff in advance...maybe this was a foretold event....

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
you mean out of the millions of other asteroids that can also hit earth at any moment
edit on 7-6-2013 by Tlexlapoca because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Except in Deep Impact, not all of humanity was wiped out! That's why I hate that movie. I wish it would all end like in "Seeking A Friend For the End of the World." Everyone goes.

Maybe these "smaller" asteroids are part of some greater space rock that's heading straight for us, but we just haven't seen it yet.

One can only hope.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Quyll

I can't help but note that by how things are going in the world today? If they outright announced an Asteroid was coming and due to hit the Earth? No one would believe them until it was plainly visible in the sky with hours left to go. Until then? Even the doomers would call false flag while looking for the real story they were trying to 'deflect from'.

Just the same...I wouldn't mind seeing one of these smaller ones give the man in the moon a big new shiner. We could use a show in the sky to break up the boredom.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
What a glorious day that will be

"Glorious" being tantamount to simultaneously having ones flesh burned off and being pummeled by red hot boulders at the same time!
Glorious indeed!

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Quyll

I can't help but note that by how things are going in the world today? If they outright announced an Asteroid was coming and due to hit the Earth? No one would believe them until it was plainly visible in the sky with hours left to go. Until then? Even the doomers would call false flag while looking for the real story they were trying to 'deflect from'.

Just the same...I wouldn't mind seeing one of these smaller ones give the man in the moon a big new shiner. We could use a show in the sky to break up the boredom.

Or break up all the news of the world going to hell in a hand basket..getting tired of all the crazy news stories lately. Something to watch from the sky would be nice. Even if something were to be announced to hit at least NOBODY would be able to do anything so it would be a bit uniting I think.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

I have to wonder how they know a newly discovered asteroid will not hit when they have to constantly update others based on multiple observations. How quickly can it be determined that one will not hit us and why do they have a need to update them if they have already determined this?
Well, if they have to choose between one or the other: Hit or Miss, but if they're not 100%positive either way, they really have no choice but to go with 'Miss'.

If they said anything other than 'miss', people would panic. Many people would probably freak out even if they were to simply say, "We're 99.8% positive that it will fly on past us, but there is still that 0.2% margin of error, wherein Earth's gravitational pull may bring it on down....."

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

99.9% of me would believe it.

.1% would be looking through my telescope to try and find where it was because I wouldn't believe them.

I would be the one to get my hopes way high because it would finally be the end.

Originally posted by canucks555
What a glorious day that will be

"Glorious" being tantamount to simultaneously having ones flesh burned off and being pummeled by red hot boulders at the same time!
Glorious indeed!

I really don't think that you'd feel it. It would happen so fast, that it would be over in a second. That's the best way to go in my opinion. Besides dying in your sleep or underneath a big blue sky in silence.

That's why I'm hoping that these smaller ones are part of something bigger.

edit on 7-6-2013 by Quyll because: addition

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It is coming much closer to us than to the moon

2013-Jun-08 04:42 < 00:01 Earth 0.000742411291187786

2013-Jun-08 13:16 < 00:01 Moon 0.00173626973542356

JPL Small Body Data Base

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
It has a condition code of 5 which suggests that with the current information available they are not exactly confident in their current assesment of this asteroids path. In other words, get ready to duck.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Seagle

It has a condition code of 5 which suggests that with the current information available they are not exactly confident in their current assesment of this asteroids path.
On the contrary, as can be seen by the margin of error, they are quite confident. The condition code does not mean quite what you seem to think it does.

Nominal distance (expected): 0.000742411291187786
Minimum distance: 0.000742096850178723
Maximum distance: 0.000742725694781103

The condition code is an indication of the uncertainty of the orbit of the object around the Sun. What it means is that where it will be next time around (or where it was last time) is not really well established. What it doesn't mean is that its distance from Earth can vary wildly from the calculations. In fact, since the object was only just discovered (and therefore is close to Earth) its distance at close approach can be quite accurately calculated. The calcs are based on 57 observations, that's pretty good. The fact that it has been spotted so many times already means they know where it is and where it is going in the near future.
edit on 6/8/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Quyll

Please don't commit all of us to your desire for death and destruction. I have nothing against your macabre nature ... but relishing in the extinction of humanity is a bit much.

You 'god is love' in you signature ... perhaps a bit more love. Be patient, death awaits us all. You will have your time; everyone will.

As much as I wouldn't mind seeing our population dwindle ... it would reduce the damage our species is doing ... I know I wouldn't want my family or myself to be part of the ones that go ... and as much as I believe I don't care that much about the rest of humanity outside my 'circle' ... I honestly do. Tragic things can still make me a bit irritable, such as when I somehow follow the yellow brick road (on youtube) onto things like the twin towers aftermath. My walls aren't built up as thick as I sometimes believe.

I wouldn't rejoice if an asteroid hit Asia ... nor do I have the sense of reality to be as upset as some will definitely be. Something that immense is nearly incomprehensible to most of us ... our most deathly events in recent history only took out millions, and with little effect on our overall population density.

Something like a large asteroid impact, would have global consequences ... that would be felt across the whole globe. It will wipe out billions, more than likely, and who it doesn't wipe out, will suffer from or world communication and transportation failures. It won't be pretty.

No matter how bad it gets, I'd still want for the safety of my family and myself. I won't beg for death, it will come in due time. There is no reason to race to the finish; the journey itself is to be appreciated. This world can be such a beautiful place, if you open your eyes and mind to it ... and the people as a whole, aren't so bad. The rotten ones just make it seem so;
someone wrote recently elsewhere: do you take notice of everyone on the road who obey the laws and drive appropriately, or do you only remember the one(s) that were reckless on your trip? Basically, don't cast aside humanity because the few toxic people stand out in your memory.

Please, only put yourself into your dark dreams, not the rest of us

new topics

top topics

join