It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. intelligence mining data from nine U.S. Internet companies in broad secret program

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+49 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

: U.S. intelligence mining data from nine U.S. Internet companies in broad secret program

www.washingtonpost.com

The National Security Agency and the FBI are tapping directly into the central servers of nine leading U.S. Internet companies, extracting audio, video, photographs, e-mails, documents and connection logs that enable analysts to track a person’s movements and contacts over time.

The highly classified program, code-named PRISM, has not been disclosed publicly before.
(visit the link for the full news article)

More links:
www.businessinsider.com...
www.engadget.com... n=Engadget
edit on 6-6-2013 by IAMTAT because: links added

edit on 6/7/2013 by semperfortis because: Copy the EXACT Headline

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Oh my God...This has just been released through the Washington Post. On the heels of the Guardian in UK breaking the story of the Obama administration's NSA forcing Verizon to secretly hand over the phone records of over 100 million American citizens...comes THIS, which looks to make the Verizon story look minuscule by comparison.

I have to agree with the New York Times...The Obama Administration HAS now lost all credibility!

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMTAT

I have to agree with the New York Times...The Obama Administration HAS now lost all credibility!

Its sad though... even though hes lost all imaginary credibility he once had, youll still have the diehard worshipers who will never acknowledge that Bama ever did anything wrong, and that you are just either a republican or a racist or both if you think hes not the second coming of Christ. Even on this board, where people are supposed to deny ignorance or something.

Oh well. Momentum seems to be building against the rogue government regime in power ATM. Hopefully it gets enough momentum to actually get somewhere, like an impeachment of the entire administration and charges of treason brought to them.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
wow...

This Cannot stand!

this is an unbearable situation, people have to start taking action now or accepting they no longer have rights.
edit on 6-6-2013 by monkofmimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
More:

IT GETS WORSE: Google, Microsoft, Apple Allowed Government To 'Watch Your Ideas Form As You Type'
The program is code-named PRISM, and the Post reports that it was established in 2007. According to the report, the nine companies that "participate knowingly" in the program are Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, PalTalk, AOL, Skype, YouTube, Apple.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Just read in the article that "much of the world's communications flow through the US"!
So we're all pretty much screwed. This is clearly a global issue now.

eta: I would like to thank to whistleblower and journalists who broke the story.
edit on 6-6-2013 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Sorry, I duped you. I was constructing my op and didn't catch yours. Sorry I have alerted on myself.

edit on Thu Jun 6 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: MOD NOTE: we allow a thread in Breaking Alternative News and another on the same topic in another forum

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

Is more information coming out in the news, is not just phone numbers but information on us and our habits, this is no just for government use but private companies use.

What you eat, what you like, your religious affiliations, your mental health, your political views and more.

Also it is known that no member in congress is within this mining data base and I believe none of the elites in nation

This is targeting us regular citizens, this big and getting bigger and not it has nothing to do with terrorism regardless what the crocks are now using as their defense.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

The technology companies, which participate knowingly in PRISM operations, include most of the dominant global players of Silicon Valley. They are listed on a roster that bears their logos in order of entry into the program: “Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, PalTalk, AOL, Skype, YouTube, Apple.” PalTalk, although much smaller, has hosted significant traffic during the Arab Spring and in the ongoing Syrian civil war.

Dropbox , the cloud storage and synchronization service, is described as “coming soon.”

Back to back disclosure concerning the government harvesting citizens' data, up until now, officials questioned "under oath" about gathering data on US folks denied it was happening..

And, we have member of Congress, on both sides of the political spectrum saying, "don't worry, it's nothing new, in fact it's been going on for years... "

I think this could finally be the point that the left and right unite and rid our government of the folks who allowed this, and to some extent accept it..

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Can someone explain how a company such as Google can be tapped into by the NSA and willingly expose all the data? Take Gmail for instance, each account features a password with encrypted emails. Does this override the encryptions?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
This is wild...

I guess it has been going on for awhile, now scary...

I wonder what they plan on trying to sell to these people with all that Data Mining...lol

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

An internal presentation on the Silicon Valley operation, intended for senior analysts in the NSA’s Signals Intelligence Directorate, described the new tool as the most prolific contributor to the President’s Daily Brief, which cited PRISM data in 1,477 articles last year.

This reminds me of the Congresswoman who said that Obama was carrying out the biggest
data collection operation on people ever.

"The President has put in place an organization with the kind of database that no
one has ever seen before in life," Representative Maxine Waters told Roland Martin.

www.liveleak.com...

edit on 6-6-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bgold1212

Of course it does, they have access to user's data...

“Google cares deeply about the security of our users’ data,” a company spokesman said. “We disclose user data to government in accordance with the law, and we review all such requests carefully. From time to time, people allege that we have created a government ‘back door’ into our systems, but Google does not have a ‘back door’ for the government to access private user data.”

What is interesting to mention is rumors of "back door" for government to freely collect user's data, and if true, this spokeperson just shot himself in the foot. We'll see I guess...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Jack, Is this something Bush's Patriot Act enabled? Or does it reach out of what powers they were given back then?

Asking you 'as you know 'Murica stuff.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
The question is does the government have the capability of gathering this amount of data? well is greater than we believe.

What is collected?

Every day, collection systems at the National Security Agency intercept and store 1.7 billion e-mails, phone calls and other types of communications. The NSA sorts a fraction of those into 70 separate databases.

How many transactions?

In fact, I would suggest that they’ve assembled on the order of 20 trillion transactions about U.S. citizens with other U.S. citizens

Where is the storage facility to gather this mammoth information?

The NSA says the Utah Data Center is a facility for the intelligence community that will have a major focus on cyber security. The agency will neither confirm nor deny specifics. Some published reports suggest it could hold 5 zettabytes of data. (Just one zettabyte is the equivalent of about 62 billion stacked iPhones 5′s– that stretches past the moon

Is this just fictional or just part of shows like person of interest?

NO, no at all, be afraid people very afraid, the technology is there and is been in use to spy on you.

“You are being watched. The government has a secret system – a machine – that spies on you every hour of every day.” That is how each episode of “Person of Interest” on CBS begins. Most Americans that have watched the show just assume that such a surveillance network is completely fictional and that the government would never watch us like that. Sadly, most Americans are wrong. Shocking new details have emerged this week which prove that a creepy nationwide network of spy cameras is being rolled out across the United States. Reportedly, these new spy cameras are “more accurate than modern facial recognition technology”, and every few seconds they send back data from cities and major landmarks all over the United States to a centralized processing center where it is analyzed

Sorry to burst the bubble of ignorance when it comes to how much power the tyrannic government we have can exercise over us the citizens of this nation.

The government has become and elite entity in which we the citizens are nothing but a treat to their power.

www.thedailysheeple.com...

Unfortunately, you’ve grown up hearing voices that incessantly warn of government as nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that’s at the root of all our problems. Some of these same voices also do their best to gum up the works. They’ll warn that tyranny always lurking just around the corner. You should reject these voices

At your own perils people. . . .

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

uninformed me, thought this kind of deal was what Congress was trying to pass with CIPSA, SOPA PiPA et al..

Seems they exploited some part of the Patriot Act, perhaps FISA and have been doing this all along "secretly"..

I am really wondering why we have back to back disclosures of the US gov't gathering citizen data... I can only hope that someone within this web has been brave enough to release this..
edit on Thu, 06 Jun 2013 18:29:16 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: not uniformed, un in formed lol

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

It appears that the US is now a surveillance state. I was horrified by the Patriot ACT, it was always going to bite the US people on the arse, surely everyone saw this coming??? I am less shocked at this than I was at the government allowing spying on its citizens under the false premise of national security., That said, they have been surveying for decades, why is anyone shocked? The tech has gotten better to gather the data, so they can up the gathering.
edit on 6-6-2013 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

I am really wondering why we have back to back disclosures of the US gov't gathering citizen data... I can only hope that someone within this web has been brave enough to release this..
edit on Thu, 06 Jun 2013 18:29:16 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: not uniformed, un in formed lol

I should say all information is leaked with perfect timing by opposing factions, for the purpose of gaining power.

If its not leaked by internal power brokers, you then get the WIkileaks treason kind of vitriol
edit on 6-6-2013 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

In 2008, Congress gave the Justice Department authority to for a secret order from the Foreign Surveillance Intelligence Court to compel a reluctant company “to comply.”

www.washingtonpost.com... ebf-11e2-8845-d970ccb04497_story_1.html

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

If the stories were allowed to run you can guarantee that tptb want you to know. It is probably just an in your face "we do what we want, what are you gonna do about it". You had senators commenting today about how it is keeping everyone safe.

I mean the article is really bad. Geez, I hope it is not a limited hangout; what could be much worse?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join