It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The REALLY big questions: Why?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Whether you believe that the biblical god created everything just for us, or just that the universe had to have had some kind of intelligent designer, the question is: Why was the universe created?

Some will say that a god loved us, so he created the universe. Well, how could he love something that he hadn't created yet?

What is the purpose of living for all eternity in heaven after we die? If we will no longer experience pain, hate, revenge, envy, jealousy....if these things are stripped away from us then we will no longer be human. So, what is the point of THIS life? If we are here to learn how to overcome negative emotions, only to have those emotions taken away from us, then what is the point of having them in the first place?

If there is an intelligent designer then he definitely had to have a need: maybe he's lonely, maybe he needs soldiers in a war in heaven, I dunno, but just the mere fact that a god needed to create us proves that he's not perfect.

I'm just saying that none of the god theories make any sense.

edit on 6/4/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Why was the universe created?

Jigger, I've noticed your recent questions about religion, are you thinking about popping your clogs?

Worm poo, we're all going to be worm poo.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Im on my phone here so i'll keep it brief...

God created the universe so he could experience himself from a a different perspective then "self"

Then he created us so he would have something to laugh at

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

" I'm just saying that none of the god theories make any sense."

...Well, duh? We knew that already. ._.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

You sir are mean. You might be right but you're mean.

edit on 4-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

God created the universe so he could experience himself from a a different perspective then "self"

That's not bad, AK.
We all daydream of being and doing something other than what we are. But, I don't retain all of those daydreams. So, what would be the point of this god creating a heaven for us if we are his daydream?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

If we will no longer experience pain, hate, revenge, envy, jealousy....if these things are stripped away from us then we will no longer be human.

Do we also stop being "human" when we are experiencing deep, dreamless asleep, incapable of feeling pain or hate or envy? Either way, I fail to see how exactly a lack of negative emotions is a problem? I think you are creating a dilemma for the sake of this thread.

If there is an intelligent designer then he definitely had to have a need: maybe he's lonely, maybe he needs soldiers in a war in heaven, I dunno, but just the mere fact that a god needed to create us proves that he's not perfect.

none of the god theories make any sense.

What you posted above about God creating us because he is "lonely" is in itself a "theory" isn't it?
I work as a graphic designer. Sometimes I just create things in my free time simply because I CAN. Nobody can guess exactly why I created it and pinned it near my table. Doesn't mean I created it because I was feeling lonely or had some emotional need.
edit on 4-6-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Our life here on this planet really boggles the mind. Even the thought of how vast this universe is, and the billions upon billions of other planets that may contain life, makes me feel like it's a game and were just the game pieces. Even Albert Einstein once said "strange is our situation here upon earth."

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by Akragon

That's not bad, AK.
We all daydream of being and doing something other than what we are. But, I don't retain all of those daydreams. So, what would be the point of this god creating a heaven for us if we are his daydream?

I don't believe in the traditional "heaven or hell"... The afterlife is where we came from and return to... Its a place for recollection... And contimplation... Where we have a chance to review our actions (or lack there of) and see how they affected the people around us... And given the opportunity to try again if we happen to mess up...

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I can't imagine a more productive eternity than learning to coexist over and over again. And death is as necessary a part of this as recycling paper.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

What you posted above about God creating us because he is "lonely" is in itself a "theory" isn't it?

Yes, it is a theory. But, can we agree that if a god created everything, he had an agenda? We think, surely there is a purpose to this life. Well, surely there is a purpose behind a god's plan. He didn't create everything just for nothing. But, the idea of his creating us just for the sake of creating us just isn't good enough.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I find a certain freedom in believing we make our own purpose. See my signature.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Akragon

I can't imagine a more productive eternity than learning to coexist over and over again. And death is as necessary a part of this as recycling paper.

Well... we should have did it right the first time... But we didn't

So here we are

edit on 4-6-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

What if we did do it right, and just wanted to do it again?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
"Wow! That is amazing! And when it's finished it's going to be cooler yet. Look, it's got my trademark stamped all over it. There's never been anything like it. I can't wait to show it Bob and Sue, I know it will make them happy, they'll be partying like animals, I'm glad for them.

"Wait a minute, Bob and Sue don't exist yet. Well, we can fix that . . . "

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I think you are creating a dilemma for the sake of this thread.

No, these are my honest thoughts.

Do we also stop being "human" when we are experiencing deep, dreamless asleep, incapable of feeling pain or hate or envy? Either way, I fail to see how exactly a lack of negative emotions is a problem?

Dreamless sleep? Is that your view on what heaven is like? How does the time we spend recharging have any relevance to this? You accuse me of creating a dilemma, but I what hear is you desperately blocking out the logic in order to maintain your illogical beliefs (even though there's no threat to you here).

This thread isn't even about questioning the existence or nonexistence of god, heaven, and our role in all of it. The purpose here is to do away with the illogical parts of this belief and find SOMETHING that makes sense about it.

Why heaven? WHY? What does god get out of it?

If an all-knowing god already knows our every thought, then he wouldn't need to keep us around for the sake of conversation.

We gather things to us that bring us joy (friends, pets, family, good food, music...). Without these things we wouldn't find joy. More important, we NEED joy because we don't automatically have it. If god gathers us to himself for the joy we might bring him, this implies that he doesn't automatically have joy where he is. This means that this god is lonely. And, being lonely is state of imperfection. And yet, if the basic premise is that he IS lonely, it would make more sense than anything I've heard about this god so far.

Is it his plan to have us worship him throughout eternity? Isn't this self-serving and tyrannical?

What is his hidden agenda that would make sense to you?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Its a place for recollection... And contimplation... Where we have a chance to review our actions (or lack there of) and see how they affected the people around us... And given the opportunity to try again if we happen to mess up...

Why? What do we ultimately get out of it? What does the creator get out of it?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

That would make more sense if we weren't supposed to spend all our time making him happy.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

I find a certain freedom in believing we make our own purpose. See my signature.

Which means that we MAKE-UP our purpose. It isn't real. It is, however, right. As an atheist I will admit that this sometimes depresses the hell out of me. Yet, I would rather experience this lack of purposelessness than to live one minute believing in a lie.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

What if we did do it right, and just wanted to do it again?

IF that is the case I would assume said person is here to help... not to learn again...

Though that person would still have to learn... certain things are already "instilled" within that person...

Remember Jesus said no man ever been to heaven except those that came from heaven...

I would say once you've learned what was needed... you have the option to return to assist others...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join