It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about Muslim Immigrants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
So this question has been bugging me awhile. I've mulled it around in my mind but haven't posted it because I am not the most eloquent writer and didnt want it to come off as totally racist but I feel it is a legitimate question.
We see a lot of stuff in the news about Muslim immigrants creating havoc in their new countries. Wanting Sharia law, trying to enforce Muslim standards on the community.
I was listening to NPR the other day and a guest was speaking on refugees to Michigan, mainly from Iraq and Somalia. Not sure if Somalia would be considered Islamist nation per se but he said 67% of the refugees suffered some form of mental illness. Mainly due he hypothesized to the violence they were subjected to and witnessed and feared on a daily basis from an Islamist regime.

So my question is"If you feel the need to flee the repressive, violent Islamist regime, why would you want to bring the same oppressive lifestyle with you?"

If you were a prisoner in say, the "Hanoi Hilton" for 10 years, upon your release would you model your new home after the cell you occupied?

I understand Islam is their religion but it appears to me that it is Islam that they fled. Yet want to hold onto the oppressive ideology.

And if the majority of responses say that it is only the few that create problems in their new country then that answers the question that they really do want Islam to take over the world.

I seriously dont mean this to be derogatory towards Muslims, I seriously want to know why you hold onto and want to re-establish that which you fled?

Thanks....tinner07

edit on 5-6-2013 by Gazrok because: Corrected spelling in title for easier search

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I dont really understand the question, you cant expect people to forget about their culture just because they move to a new land. Do you really think all muslims have an 'oppressive idealogy'?

Do you have the same views on the Irish immigrants in America?

We are a people proud of our heritage, hence the many Irish pubs spanning the globe

Many immigrants become valuable members of society. I dont know about America but over here you just have to walk into a hospital and you are guaranteed to find foreign doctors, nurses, surgeons etc, all working hard and paying taxes.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Some come to escape the conditions in their country. Some come for better opportunities. And some come as infiltrators and instigators. These last are the ones you are talking about.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinner07
So this question has been bugging me awhile. I've mulled it around in my mind but haven't posted it because I am not the most eloquent writer and didnt want it to come off as totally racist but I feel it is a legitimate question.
We see a lot of stuff in the news about Muslim immigrants creating havoc in their new countries. Wanting Sharia law, trying to enforce Muslim standards on the community.
I was listening to NPR the other day and a guest was speaking on refugees to Michigan, mainly from Iraq and Somalia. Not sure if Somalia would be considered Islamist nation per se but he said 67% of the refugees suffered some form of mental illness. Mainly due he hypothesized to the violence they were subjected to and witnessed and feared on a daily basis from an Islamist regime.

So my question is"If you feel the need to flee the repressive, violent Islamist regime, why would you want to bring the same oppressive lifestyle with you?"

If you were a prisoner in say, the "Hanoi Hilton" for 10 years, upon your release would you model your new home after the cell you occupied?

I understand Islam is their religion but it appears to me that it is Islam that they fled. Yet want to hold onto the oppressive ideology.

And if the majority of responses say that it is only the few that create problems in their new country then that answers the question that they really do want Islam to take over the world.

I seriously dont mean this to be derogatory towards Muslims, I seriously want to know why you hold onto and want to re-establish that which you fled?

Thanks....tinner07

The above posters have hit the nail on the head - especially the second reply.

In short, OP, you are in danger of generalizing (if you're not already, that is!). The "type" of Muslim that you talk of does not represent all Muslims. It's like there being a certain "type" of British expat abroad who doesn't both to learn the local language or integrate - such a "type" is not representative of all British expats abroad.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

Thing is, some of these folks don't see Sharia law as oppressive, but as tradition. They are free to live by Sharia law as much as they like, as long as it doesn't break any laws of the state they are in, but they are NOT free to try and enforce such ideas on those who do not agree with those concepts. The "havoc" I have heard of is mostly involving demonstrations that then turn violent, not any attempts at trying to integrate Sharia law.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

You have to take into account that it is not only the religion, it is also the culture.

A Muslim from Saudi Arabia would be different from a Muslim from Somalia.

Tan - Semite - different culture Vs Black - African - different culture.

If Somali commit a crime in his newly immigrated country, you can't say he did it because of his religion, in fact, it could be, and as well as many other factors.

I live in Canada, we have a decent sized Muslim population, have you heard any atrocities?

Its about refined people, does not matter what their culture is... Canada selects immigrants by their skills and education, USA/England lets anyone in. You can have a bad apples from a good culture and vice versa...

Do you go after Christians because a christian guy killed bunch of people? or most mass murderers are Christians?

We need to look at the individual and hold them responsible,

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
An Islamic immigrant might flee regional conditions, like war, terror attacks from others ( usually Muslim too.)

They might want to try and live the American dream. Cause lets face it, most Muslim citizens are not sharing the wealth of those that rule their countries.

Maybe cause their gay. Cause that seem to be a big no-no... in Islamic regions. ( Although there might be exceptions, I don't know. )

Basically when a Muslim immigrates, it is not because of their religion, ( America does not discriminate ones faith.)
So in my opinion, it's pretty normal that people like to live with others who share their way of life, or try to learn their new neighbors about their way of life.

In a perfect world and a lot of mutual tolerance. that would create a perfect multicultural mix of people.

Unfortunately most people suck, or simply didn't learn to appreciate new or other ways of life.

I personally really enjoy my neighbor bringing their left over couscous every Friday. I Mean on Wednesday from 12 to 3 in the afternoon, I even watch their kids, cause school's out earlier that day.

But my view of Islam shaded by pink glasses I guess... Cause I don't no any one that want to cut of body parts of non Muslims.
edit on 6/5/2013 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

top topics

join