It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto 'Zombie Wheat' Baffles Own Creators - Are We Paying Enough Attention?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Interesting story I've been reading today.

Raw Story Source

The company that engineered an herbicide-resistant strain of wheat which was never cleared for commercial use is baffled as to how the genetically modified organism (GMO) came to be growing in an Oregon wheat field. According to New Scientist, Monsanto, which says it abandoned research on the wheat in 2004, claims it has no idea how the wheat got there, but that it is urgently trying to find out.

An Oregon farmer who found the wheat only realized that it was a genetically modified crop when he tried to clear the field where it was growing by using the Monsanto herbicide Roundup. To his amazement, the plants simply refused to die.

Now this isn't supposed to happen. Monsanto claims they stopped production and distribution of that particular wheat back in 2004 due to low demand. Not only that, but with the growing number of countries who are banning GMO crops, specifically Monsanto ones, is getting larger.

Is it shocking to anybody however that GMO's are perhaps, beginning to get out of hand? What happens when invasive species of food start popping up in various parts of the country? What happens if one of those starts to effect soil quality?

What does the bread basket do then?

In short, the agri-business colossus sounds as mystified as everyone else as to how a strain of wheat that was supposed to be completely eradicated in 2004 has spontaneously come back to life in an Oregon field.

Maybe it's because large, multinational companies don't give a damn about the side effects of their behavior?

Maybe it's that because any fear of their product being bad for you, effectively kills their business, they choose to hide things from us and then act 'surprised' when we find out?

Everybody here knows I think Monsanto is part of a death cult in regards to food, so I am quite biased when it comes to this topic. As is my opinion of GMO foods in general, although lately I was made aware of the benefits of GMO's if done properly and with good intent.

What are your thoughts ATS?

Are we paying enough attention to GMO's, or is this an industry that we've let grow out of control by lack of oversight?

~Tenth
edit on 6/4/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/4/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
You do realize that all grains are genetically modified dont you?
The "natural" wheat that you eat today is nothing like the ancient wheat that was consumed by people 5000 years ago. Natural selection, or simple human selection of the most abundant plants from the bunch is Genetic Modification.
In all seriousness I get the point of people being against the hybridization of food plants with unnatural genetic strains. Thats a little scary, but in reality this is less about the purity of the food crops and more about anti-corporation political agenda.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Life will find a way.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Apparently this "Zombie Wheat" is in Mac & Cheese imported from US to UK.

Published on Jun 1, 2013 (Truthstream Media.com) Is there more genetically modified wheat in the U.S. food supply than what we've been told about? After it came to light last week that unapproved, illegal genetically modified wheat from Monsanto had been found growing in a farmer's field in Oregon (truthstreammedia.com...), Japan and South Korea have halted U.S. imports. The Monsanto wheat had been field tested between 1998 and 2005, but Monsanto pulled it when an international outcry arose and many of the biggest wheat importing countries proclaimed they would not buy the biotech giant's GMO strain. Now, a disturbing YouTube video has surfaced from FoodBabe.com sent in from the U.K. showing a box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese imported from the U.S. with a label declaring the product is "made from genetically modified wheat" (foodbabe.com...). With the devastating prevalence of digestive issues and food allergies such as gluten intolerance and Celiac Disease among others proliferating all across America, the implication that illegal GMO wheat is not only turning up randomly in farmers' fields years after Monsanto supposedly stopped testing it, but that unapproved GMO wheat is actually known to be *present* in American processed food products and openly announced in other countries is downright disgusting and disturbing. Even in a best case scenario that the distributor assumed the mac and cheese had genetically modified wheat in it and just slapped a label on to cover the company's butt, it's still a sad testament to the fact that none of this manufactured food can really be trusted. Unfortunately, the odds that this label is telling the truth are pretty high all facts about biotech considered. Although Monsanto claims this is the first time it's GMO wheat strain has turned up in the near decade following its field tests, the wheat had been planted in 16 states and multiple other countries, so there's little reason to trust this is merely an isolated incident.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragoon01
You do realize that all grains are genetically modified dont you?
The "natural" wheat that you eat today is nothing like the ancient wheat that was consumed by people 5000 years ago. Natural selection, or simple human selection of the most abundant plants from the bunch is Genetic Modification.
In all seriousness I get the point of people being against the hybridization of food plants with unnatural genetic strains. Thats a little scary, but in reality this is less about the purity of the food crops and more about anti-corporation political agenda.

However, Monsanto has been breeding seeds to resist specific "anti-weed" chemicals . . . that they so happen to sell.

So if 5000 years of wheat has modified on it's own, do we really need a Corporation to alter it?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragoon01

"QUOTE:
'You do realize that all grains are genetically modified dont you?
The "natural" wheat that you eat today is nothing like the ancient wheat that was consumed by people 5000 years ago. Natural selection, or simple human selection of the most abundant plants from the bunch is Genetic Modification."

Genetically modified organisms are not just hybrids caused by cross fertilization of different strains or species that are close enough that they can produce living descendants.

GMO means that genes from entirely different species have been grafted into the DNA of the organism. In other words genes for resistance to Roundup taken from certain weeds are isolated, then introduced into the nucleus of different plants' seeds to provide that same resistance to Roundup. It is not a cross, but a single gene transfer.

All the current thrombolytic drugs used to treat Stroke and Heart Attacks are dna-recombinant drugs.
The thrombolytic called Activase was first found being produced by a culture of human melanoma cells. It was dissolving the clot in the culture medium. The scientists isolated the gene they suspected was coding for it, transferred it to a culture of Hamster ovary cells--and the same substance was produced--so they knew they had the correct gene. This gene was then introduced into the nuclei of certain bacteria, and now these bacteria produce the wonder-drug.

edit on 4-6-2013 by MuzzleBreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Man! Too late to the dance.

Jurassic Park reference: check

Counter for industry talking point obscuring hybridization and GMO: check

How about this: In the first X-Files movie weren't they using a secluded agricultural site to further the "agenda"?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Now this isn't supposed to happen. Monsanto claims they stopped production and distribution of that particular wheat back in 2004 due to low demand. Not only that, but with the growing number of countries who are banning GMO crops, specifically Monsanto ones, is getting larger.

Is it shocking to anybody however that GMO's are perhaps, beginning to get out of hand? What happens when invasive species of food start popping up in various parts of the country? What happens if one of those starts to effect soil quality?

What Happens we ask ?

Watch for Monsanto to offer a "SOLUTION" to the problem.

When they do, it will satisfy all the buyers and everybody will feel comfortable again !!

The whole "release by accident" may have been planned.

Create the problem to make more money from the solution.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ABNARTY
How about this: In the first X-Files movie weren't they using a secluded agricultural site to further the "agenda"?

I'm a late-comer to The X-Files. I was so shocked when I saw that scene that I had to check the year of the movie's release!

I think that franchise was doing more than just writing creative science fiction/ horror...I think, in part, they were explaining the "agenda" and how it is kept covert.
edit on 5-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

No doubt, eh?

top topics

join