It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Never-Before-Seen Alien Planet Imaged Directly in New Photo

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatpastyhead
Reply to post by spacedoubt

there could be another civilization out there now looking straight at us with their bubble telescope saying "yup, we have a potentially habitable planet and we have named it XC4677DKD573-b"

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

It's not called earth anymore?

Ha! I finally got to use that line. I thought of it years ago together with an image of a New Yorker cartoon. In the cartoon an older woman would be on the phone - one of the olde-timey phones, with a cord attached to a wall (remember those?) - in a luxury apartment, standing up holding the phone, with a quizical look on her face, and the caption would read "It's not called Earth anymore?"

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Definition of Alien

Adjective: Belonging to a foreign country or nation.

Noun: A foreigner, esp. one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where they are living.

Synonyms

adjective. foreign - strange - extraneous - outlandish

noun. foreigner - stranger - outlander

Hope this clears up the context of the word Alien pretainint to this thread.

Star and Flag for this mate.

edit on 4-6-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
reply to post by Krakatoa

dont get ur panties in an up-roar. I have no complaints to any one i was just hoping to see a alien

...panties in an uproar?...... In vino veritas???

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadMax7
There are 890 already identified planets in the Milky Way.

Whats the significance with this one ball of gas?

edit on 4-6-2013 by MadMax7 because: (no reason given)

890 may have been detected, but only a handful of those have ever been "seen" (about 5% of known exoplanets)

The first few extrasolar planets discovered back in the 1990s were discovered via the "wobble method" ("Radial Velocity method"). This method of planet finding relied on finding stars that wobbled slightly. This wobble indicated that there are planets orbiting them. Certain physical characteristics of the planet (size and orbit) could be determined by the amount of wobble, period and frequency of wobble, and variations in the wobble.

A later method used to find planets (and the method currently being used to find the vast majority of known planets) is the "transit method". The Kepler Planet Finding telescope, which is in space, uses this method. The transit method relies on a planet passing directly between the line of sight of its star and the Earth/Kepler Telescope (which is known as the planet "transiting its star"). When a planet transits its star as seen from telescopes on Earth or from the Kepler Telescope, there is a very slight dimming of the star as seen from the telescopes. The amount of this dimming and frequency of dimming can give some information on the planet. The European Space agency's "CoRoT" space telescope also employs the transit method of planet finding.

One drawback of this transit method is that the planets need to be in line with the earth in such a way that it does in fact transit its star. Even with this limitation greatly reducing the number of planets Kepler could find using this method, Kepler has confirmed 114 planets and has a list of almost 3,000 more candidates that are potentially planets. One reason for the 3,000 "potential" planets not being confirmed is that Kepler would like to confirm a planet by watching it transit its star more than once.

The bottom line is that it is very, very difficult to see a planet directly, due to the relative brightness of its star compared to that of the planet (i.e., the brightness of the star obscures the planets). Therefore, 95% of all exoplanets ever detected have never actually been seen.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Amazing Picture of Pandora

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by fatpastyhead

i glad you have such a keen mind, I would think that such a keen mind would understand that one word can have many meanings.

anyway to the op what if there were gaseous beings that acted as parasites, and they were able to prey on carbon beings. Ghosts, demons, paranormal activity, exorcisms, possessions, what if aliens have been here the whole time but in gas form?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

is that a tombstone reference? i cant remember what they said during there latin back and forth, but "in wine there is truth" would seem to fit the conversation they were having.

can you please embellish?
edit on 4-6-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

im not and english prof or anything so i ask you this, If we did know were aliens lived would we say the term alien planet or aliens planet or could we say both?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

wait were is the aliens?

Here's an interesting mind game for you. I'm not having a dig at you, just presenting you with something fun that I enjoy doing sometimes. Look at this image:

I have provided a link to the higher resolution version at the bottom. I'm sure you are familiar with this image, it is the Hubble Deep Field observation from 1995. But think, really THINK about this image. You are looking at some 3,000 galaxies, each with hundreds of billions of stars. You may be looking at millions, perhaps billions of civilisations in this image. Where are the aliens, right there in that image if you use your imagination :-)

High res HDT Image

I have this image as my desktop so every time I turn on my computer, I get a little reminder about how big a Universe we live in.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

reply to post by fatpastyhead

i glad you have such a keen mind, I would think that such a keen mind would understand that one word can have many meanings.

anyway to the op what if there were gaseous beings that acted as parasites, and they were able to prey on carbon beings. Ghosts, demons, paranormal activity, exorcisms, possessions, what if aliens have been here the whole time but in gas form?

Sometimes, in a crowded room, I swear there is a gaseous being around....I know because I can smell it.

More seriously, the gaseous being, if here, would need to live in our atmo...and be ruled by the physical laws of nature still, including gravity, would it not?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Yep, Tombstone reference.

It means when I'm drunk truth comes out, or I speak my mind...ala "..panties in an uproar"

Ummm...no biggie but the saying goes "...don't get your panties in a wad."

I was just ribbing you there huckleberry

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

wait were is the aliens?

They said alien planet, not aliens. The aliens left that planet long ago. That's why you can't see them.

Perhaps they came to earth. Look around.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

wait were is the aliens?

Can't help but picture this guy sitting at US/Mexico border, "Wait, were is the aliens....?"

Oh and to answer your brilliant question; THEY'D CALL IT AN ALIEN INHABITED PLANET. I'd hate to see your comprehension of,"There, their, and they're." Haha

Okay back to topic! Thanks for posting OP! We have made a lot of ground being able to look directly at these planets. I'd love to live to see the day that our takes on space in 2013 seem as ludacris as when the world believed Earth was flat! Hopefully with funding, we can keep mapping space.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
retracted... I'm a idiot and didn't read the post entirely...
edit on 5-6-2013 by ByteChanger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krakatoa
Searched and didn't find it...so, here it is.

A newly discovered gaseous planet has been directly photographed orbiting a star about 300 light-years from Earth. Imaging alien planets is difficult, and this world may be the least massive planet directly observed outside of the solar system, scientists say. A sharp new photo released by the European Southern Observatory (ESO) today (June 3) depicts the suspected gas giant (called HD 95086 b) circling its young star (named HD 95086) in infrared light. The star has been removed from the image to allow the planet — shown as a bright blue dot at the bottom left of the picture — to shine through

Never-Before-Seen Alien Planet Imaged Directly in New Photo

This is a great advance in long-range imaging. I wonder how much better it will be of the Terrestrial Planet Finder is ever launched?

edit on 3-6-2013 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

Am I missing something here?

I got your gaseous planet right here.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sefhinny

yeah cause every one uses proper english these days. Im not saying improper English is the way to go, but 9 out of 10 times if some one were to refer to an alien inhabited planet they would shorten the phrase to alien planet assuming there was no name to the planet and the aliens did not have names themselves.

thanks prof

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

yeah cause every one uses proper english these days. Im not saying improper English is the way to go, but 9 out of 10 times if some one were to refer to an alien inhabited planet they would shorten the phrase to alien planet assuming there was no name to the planet and the aliens did not have names themselves.

thanks prof

If I was your "prof" or even criticizing your lack of proper English, I would have attacked you for misspelling, "Where" and your lack of punctuation after, "wait". These are the flaws I noticed in JUST your first post. Which is just 5 words. Because of my lack of time, and interest, I won't go through the rest of your uneducated comments in this thread.

I commented because I found your logic(or lack of) to this subject amusing.

I'm very aware that both of our comments will most likely be deleted due to being off topic. Ehh... I still have a feeling that this post won't go unseen by your eyes. I honestly thought after you embarrassed yourself with the lack of intelligence, you would laugh it off, and move on. Yet you seem to amaze me again..

By the way, I use my phone to scan and post at ATS. Yet I still muster the intelligence to communicate properly. Amazing how that works...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

your obviosly a better person than i. im just glad i could make you feel that way.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

your obviosly a better person than i. im just glad i could make you feel that way.

Hey! Look at the glass half full here buddy! At least you learned something today.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

and i made someone feed someones ego, im on a roll, if i score twin geisha's tonight i can die a happy man.

<< 1    3 >>

join