It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now required to ask patients of suicidal thoughts??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

some are pleas for help as you say but you don't go hang yourself in a plea for help or stab yourself in the heart.

its true that there are probably a few accidental OD's that were really suicide attempts but after a while you can spot them. Seem a few older people who have taken to may drugs by mistake but when you see a 25 year old claiming to have taken too many paracetamol it raises some questions.

you are going to ask him if he ever feels suicidal

even if he say's no your still not going to send him home with a whole box of meds
edit on 31-5-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I have emailed the patient relations dept. of my hospital asking why i was asked this question and what organization requires them to ask this question to every patient during their pre-history exam.

Yes guys im all for helping people that need help but its not gonna work like that when you are asking every si gle person if they need help.

ABC: study says over 50% of college students have suicidal thoughts at some point in life.
abcnews.go.com... 2Bhave%2Breported%2Bsuicidal%2Bthoughts%26spell%3D1%26sa%3DX%26ei%3DKPCoUY7gJJSE9QStyYDYCQ%26ved%3D0CCgQvwUoAA%26biw%3D320%26bih%3D416

And that only to college age. Not counting the older people so basicly at some point in our lives over 50% of us will answer yes to that question? Wow. Considering how a yes answer disqualifies you from gun ownership that would basicly equate to 50% or more gun reduction over the next maybe 2 decades. Thats huge!! And that a rough and conservative number based on the ABC report.

Maybe a few of you see the significance here. Even if this is not by design to reduce guns, in the end it is fact that it will.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sway33

you emailed them?

dude you are taking this way too seriously.

1 in 4 people will have some mental health issue at some point in their lives, that does not mean that 1 in 4 people will automatically be refused a gun.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Considering that the U.S is the mother of all lawsuits, I guess the relatives to any suicide-victim will blame the hospital for "not detecting" this condition, had he/she been to one recently.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sway33
I have emailed the patient relations dept. of my hospital asking why i was asked this question and what organization requires them to ask this question to every patient during their pre-history exam.
Yes guys im all for helping people that need help but its not gonna work like that when you are asking every si gle person if they need help.

So this really isn't about a clinician doing a normal and logical thing in a medical location.
This is actually a gun owner being paranoid that the IlluminatiHAARP are coming to take your guns.
ok..good luck with emailing them.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Hell yes i email them. Too seriously or not i have the right know. And i dont really think im taking it to seriously. Its documented fact that Its happening. If my goverment is requiring my doctor to ask these question that have real life impact. You sacrifice rights when you become any kind of mental case in this country. That includes gun rights, and yes that means there will be a reduction in legal firearm ownership. If 1 in 4 people answer yes that means they instanly lose gun rights and they are subject to a doctors treatment. Mental health is literally the only thing that prevents gun ownership besides a felony arrest in the US. So yeah it should be an alarm bell the govt is trying some shenanigans. You cant tell me that after 28 yrs the govt is so concerned with my health that now they require me to answer this question every visit. So for 28yrs all my medications could have nearly killed me becuase my govt didnt ask that question? Lol seems illogical, especially since a hospital would require that kind of preventative medicine and lawsuit prevention before the govt would.

I just see a different agenda here. Asking someone this is still wrong. Its the kind of question that shouldnt be answered without a lawyer.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA

So this really isn't about a clinician doing a normal and logical thing in a medical location.
This is actually a gun owner being paranoid that the IlluminatiHAARP are coming to take your guns.
ok..good luck with emailing them.

First off, know of no haarp or illuminati you speak of. Im talking about the United States Government and the Obama Administration. This is not conspiracy. It is fact that the Obama administration wants the answer to this question and can get the answer along with other now that Obama care is taking over. Once you are diagnosed a threat to yourself or others a doctor cam ask you about any firearma i your household wheather they are yours or no. This will be documented. Essentially the info could be used to compile a gun database and gun owners. This is not fiction so why am i paranoid gun owner. Im not parnoid at all im just reporting my experience today and how i see it. Its not about guns, its about having the right not to incriminate yourself, the 5th amendment i believe. Sure your not a criminal as a suicidal person but you are a danger and an outcast and once your in that place your voice will barely be heard so i rather speak now.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Found this: i know its a glen beck article
but it explains pretty well the overall ramifications of admitting to any kind of phyciatric disorder or suicidal tendancies.

www.glennbeck.com...

The article is focused on guns obviously but this info can be used in many unsettling ways. In the article it brings up an important point that its not just a person that can be stripped of their right to own a gun but an entire household.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Last time I ook my son in to the doctor, I was infomed that due to federal law they now had to ask certain questions. They then proceeed to ask my 6 yo if he felt like hurting himslf or others, did he feel safe with the person that brought him, did he feel safe at home, would he rather speak to the doctor privately... That is where this country is going. One wrong answer and i am sure the state sould have taken custody of him and arrested me. For adults, you can bet that saying the wrong thing will cost you your gun rights, and more. Welcome to the land of the free.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen more assumptions in a single thread.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by borracho

Exactly what im talking about. Pathetic they will even stoop to this with kids that young. They will all say they are doing it for the kids best interest to make sure abuse wasnt taking place. However, its all about information, what better way to spy on amd control the american periple than through the health system, and now that obama has its dirty scandal hands on it its going to be a downward spiral.

I hope others are seeing the major problem with this.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

and your referring to what assumptions?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Boy, the liars really come out of the woodwork around here. It's not a competition you know.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by suz62

Who is lying about what? Am I missing something here?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The paranoia in this thread is quite entertaining, to say the least.

The whole point of asking if you're suicidal at the Dr is to A)prevent prescribing medications that may increase the risk of a suicide attempt B) attempt to help those who feel like hurting themselves or others and C) to protect the Dr's nurses and other patients from a suicidal/homicidal lunatic who now has access to a whole slew of dangerous objects and chemicals inside the hospital/office. If the Dr leaves the room and you grab a scalpel from a drawer and open your artery, guess who's responsible? The Dr that left you alone with access to a sharp object/syringe etc. If you are suicidal you should have your guns taken, at least temporarily. And before you go calling me some liberal communist I'm a registered Republican and hold a FFL Class 3 and own over 250 firearms as well as assorted other weapons. The government isn't coming for your guns, they're not trying to strip the second amendment, they are trying to prevent over or under medicated nuts from having access to dangerous tools. The second amendment says no where in it that guns should be a freely accessible as candy, nor does it say anything about the mentally deranged having the right to bear arms. This should be common sense but most of the right wing has gone off the deep end lately and seriously make me ashamed to be associated with them by party affiliation. Some people really need to get a grip on reality.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Sway33

As someone mentioned above, they are also asking if you feel safe in your home, which is one I have heard them ask recently. Now while you could argue that asking about suicidal thoughts could conflict with medication prescriptions, you simply cannot say the same about asking if you feel safe in your home. Feeling safe is a completely unscientific question and has no basis being asking medically.

They're screening for 'abuse' or 'neglect'. And the possibility of 'danger to self or others.'
It is NOT a conspiracy!

"Feeling safe" means - you are NOT being intimidated, abused, oppressed, hurt, neglected, or threatened at home.
Perhaps you are unaware of the scope of domestic abuse....It's huge.

Veterans right now have outrageous rates of suicide.

You want just for no one to give a crap? Whatever.

I was just trying to answer your question and concerns.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by EViLKoNCEPTz

The govt is already taking guns unless you havnt heard about californias recent legislation. I say this again this is not conspiracy theory, this is beginning to happen.

www.newsmax.com...

California is seizing 15,000 weapons from convicts and persons deamed as having serious mental health issues. Serious mental health issues is a very broad definition and could really be interpreted wildly. As who gets the say on whats person is a danger and whos not. It is ripe for abuse just as the patriot act is and california is only the start.

So theses serious mental persons are deemed dangerous by who, how, and on what medical evidence are you going to strip away someones right? We are not going to be disarmed by the govt overnight it will be a process.

This in gun control under the guise of mental health. Since it is already law that a person with a mental health issue can not posses/own a firearm all they have to do is legally take guns from anyone under this label. Labeling them mentally ill is the part that is being snuck it. Mentally ill is a broad definitions and they could soon sign laws that would prevent a household from owning a gun with a household member having a mental health issue.

The problem is that they have the power to label you mentally ill and there is really nothing you can do to dispute it especially in terms of reclaiming a firearm once that right is taken away.

Yes there may be some paranoia but i think its mostly based of facts on whats currently happening. Ive provided a couple links to media sources reporting on this issue as i have discovered. Am i a mental health case because im a member of ATS? Or perhaps becuase own a gun? Or perhaps becuase i contribute to political sounding organizations or tea party groups? Im mean were do you draw the line. Its an enormous loophole that will slowly and steadily be expanded to affect more and more people.

But hey call me crazy right? Thats how it will progress.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Here is a post from another site of a guy being asked similar but even more disturbing questions in the name of Health.

Read more at www.snopes.com...

The Snopes article proves this is false! The story is a lie. It did not happen and it is not true.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
It's called upselling. Psych-outing the population is big business. Remember that a hospital is a place where they sell services to people. You come in with a broken thing, they're going to go down the list. If you have insurance, they will milk it.

Personally I think that nurse was lying when she said it was a mandatory question, unless in the same line of questioning she asked you if you were dizzy or nauseous or had any other pains. In all non-mental emergencies I've been to, that emotion question has never been on the list. Oddly, in all the mental emergencies I've volunteered for, nobody ever asked me if I had aches or pains or cancer, except after the institutionalization stage. Psych industry is kidnapping and slavery sometimes.

Here is the ultimate hook on that upsell if you should even hint that maybe you felt a little down last week but only for fifteen minutes. If you say yes, they have a legal obligation to keep you at the hospital, and a legal obligation to call for police enforcement if you decide to go home and the hospital decides to process you. It is so legally slippery that they have courts for this sort of thing to do the legalized variety of human trafficking over that question. So it's practically a criminal offense to say yes to a suicide question, even if it's just an ideation or a philosophical musing about it.

Then meanwhile, in the same state but in another scenario, the suicide hotlines are hanging up on crisis callers citing that they are under staffed but it's because the caller isn't paying for the service through insurances.

Roughly I think it's a bait question for unsolicited medical advice, in the variety of a psychiatrist or psychologist, which I think ought to be illegal in the future to bring unsolicited medical advice. In other words, you go asking for a broken bone treatment, you get treated for one, and you don't get mental checkups during your visit, the same as when they don't do a cancer screening while you're there.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sway33

That's the state of California, not the federal government, big difference there. And no the legislation isn't taking anyone's guns away. It only requires that NEWLY manufactured handguns have a S/N stamped into the firing pin so shell casings can be traced back to a specific weapon without the weapon needing to be found. It has no bearing on anyone other than manufacturers and criminals. It doesn't even have any real effect on the manufacturers other than the added step of micro engraving the firing pin, which all manufacturers are already capable of doing since they already have micro laser engravers in the factory's which they use to cut and detail precision parts. So no the government isn't taking anyone's guns away.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join