It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some 100,000 Christians killed per year over faith, Vatican says

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

A staggering 100,000 Christians are killed annually because of their faith, according to the Vatican -- and several human rights groups claim such anti-Christian violence is on the rise in countries like Pakistan, Nigeria and Egypt.

This report is quite disturbing in and of itself, just in terms of the sheer numbers of Christians who currently face persecution and death around the world for the simple profession of their beliefs.

But, in addition, what strikes me in particular is what seems to be an on-going Christian genocide that is going on at the hands of the authorities (and those who are supported by the authorities) in Islamic countries across the planet. Over and over, on ATS, when individual attacks by Muslims are discussed...we get the auto-response that this is just the work of some maniac/fringe group/non-representative of Islam.

But the facts increasingly seem to indicate that this is very far from the truth. The facts more seem to align with the idea that Islam, as a whole, is involved in a steady campaign to drive all other religions out from their midst in countries where they already have control - and to slowly but surely infiltrate and influence all other nations on Earth, and then wipe out all non-Muslims in those countries.

"Other Christians and other believers are subjected to forced displacement, to the destruction of their places of worship, to rape and to the abduction of their leaders, as it recently happened in the case of Bishops Yohanna Ibrahim and Boulos Yaziji, in Aleppo [Syria]," Tomassi said.

Persecution.Org, said the persecutions of Christians have been on the rise in places like Africa and the Middle East over the last decade. "Two-hundred million Christians currently live under persecution. It’s absolutely on the rise," Jeff King, the group's president, told FoxNews.com.

King said that the first major killing spree in recent years happened between 1998 and 2003, when he claims 10,000 Christians were murdered in Indonesia alone during those years.

John Eibner, CEO of Christian Solidarity International, has raised grave concerns over what he calls "religious cleansing" in Syria. "Religious minorities are under constant threat in Syria," Eibner told FoxNews.com. "If things continue as they have been for the past two years in Syria, with an increase in religious cleansing, it's reasonable to think that there will be no more Christian communities or other religious minorities in the near future".

www.foxnews.com...

What say the apologists to all of this?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

Get a few facts for yourself, try reading;
en.wikipedia.com jihadist in Nigeria, and then try other parts of Africa - Pakistan and of course the M.E.

It is all somewhat disturbing, but then that's for you to decide - ater all who am I (amere aged Christian )??

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I do not at all doubt the numbers in this post but what else do you expect when christian fronted wars are slowly destroying the home countrys of Muslims. Basically poke a snake ...it will bite back. I feel sorry for the many innocent deaths that Christianity has brought upon the minority populations of this world.
edit on 29-5-2013 by willydude89 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by willydude89

I do not at all doubt the numbers in this post but what else do you expect when christian fronted wars are slowly destroying the home country of Muslims. Basically poke a snake ...it will bite back. I feel sorry for the many innocent deaths that Christianity has brought upon the minority populations of this world.

Well there you go...it is somehow our fault that, for example, in Syria they are systematically trying to wipe out all Christian communities inside of their Country.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with "Christian front wars". Syrian Muslims have taken it upon themselves to kill and/or displace their own citizens simply because they are Christian (or anything else non-Muslim).

What this thread is attempting to illuminate and discuss, is the systematic persecution of non-Muslims in countries around the world. For that matter, we should add to the list the tens of thousands of Muslims that are killed every year by other Muslims simply because they don't subscribe to the "correct" brand of Islam (according to another brand).

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I do not at all doubt the numbers in this post but what else do you expect when christian fronted wars are slowly destroying the home countrys of Muslims. Basically poke a snake ...it will bite back. I feel sorry for the many innocent deaths that Christianity has brought upon the minority populations of this world.

It's somewhat disturbing that in a thread about the persecution and death of Christians you express no sympathy for those Christians and instead express sympathy for those killed (supposedly) by Christianity.

Eric

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Reports from Fox news and the Vatican are not trustworthy . They Lie

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Sounds like we might need a ban against religion. Only 11,078 firearms deaths a year. looks like religion is the big Elephant in the room.

www.cdc.gov...
Firearm homicides
Number of deaths: 11,078
edit on 29-5-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I don't believe that any death based on someones religion it just does not feel right to mention christian deaths without also respecting the deaths of other religions winch are unfortunately tied

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicQuest

Fact of life - Everyone lies.

Who can you trust?

Take the evidence and see for yourself...that's the most efficient way of doing ANYTHING....No reason at all to trust another individuals word on the matter....If you would like to gather the information yourself(recommended), my first suggestion would be researching blasphemy laws....

A2D

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Deuteronomy 20
10 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. 11 If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. 12 If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. 13 When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. 14 As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the Lord your God gives you from your enemies. 15 This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby.

--------------------------------------------------------------

19 When you lay siege to a city for a long time, fighting against it to capture it, do not destroy its trees by putting an ax to them, because you can eat their fruit. Do not cut them down. Are the trees people, that you should besiege them? 20 However, you may cut down trees that you know are not fruit trees and use them to build siege works until the city at war with you falls.

Three different religions all following the same God, attacking each other.

First, it was the Jews who carried the murderous torch of their god, then the Christians grabbed the lit baton to spread the "Word of God." Now, it's the Muslims claiming to have the flame of truth.

The truth is that all the religions have been used to promote the will of greed, power and superiority. Not one of them own the way, the truth or the light!

edit on 29-5-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Have we forgotten the organized violence against the non-christians by the Catholics? It is called the Inquisition. Torture and burn at the stake.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by EricD

It's somewhat disturbing that in a thread about the persecution and death of Christians you express no sympathy for those Christians and instead express sympathy for those killed (supposedly) by Christianity.

Eric

What's even more messed up is.. Somehow they turn this from "Christians being murdered" to "How Christians deserved it because of what the Catholics did way back in history".

No one gives a damn for loss of human life anymore. They justify it with their own idiocy.

People on this site amaize me. How far we have come into the world where the childisness of killing and war still prevail. I figured at some point, we would stop but I guess I was wrong.

I can maybe understand war and killing a thousand years ago.. even a few hundred years ago, because, well... people were dumb.. But today.. I thought we were smarter than this... too smart for this.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Go to www.persecution.org. The figure is closer to 150,000 per year.

It is really nice to hear the Vatican refer to Protestants as "Christians" on a side note.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicQuest
Reports from Fox news and the Vatican are not trustworthy . They Lie

Circumstantial ad hominem fallacy.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

I can maybe understand war and killing a thousand years ago.. even a few hundred years ago, because, well... people were dumb.. But today.. I thought we were smarter than this... too smart for this.
reply to post by theRhenn

History proves that it is human nature to propagate war and violence. The future will be just like the past.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

christian fronted wars are slowly destroying the home countrys of Muslims

No, they're not.

Additionally, I'd like to remind you that the most recent wars on 'home countries of Muslims' were not 'Christian fronted', and were supported by other Muslims.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by leostokes

Dear leostokes,

I admit it, I'm prejudiced. But we've talked before and you've always seemed reasonable, so I hope you won't mind if I bring up a little more information on the Inquisition.

Philip Jenkins, Distinguished Professor of History and Religious Studies at Pennsylvania State University and a self-professed Episcopalian, remarked on the Inquisition in his book, The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice (2003).

"The main problem about speaking of 'the Inquisition' is that it suggests that religious repression of this sort was a Catholic prerogative. In fact, before the Enlightenment, virtually all religious traditions on occasion acted similarly when they had the power to do so..This indictment of religious savagery and intolerance applies to all the Protestant nations, even relatively liberal ones such as England and the Netherlands.

Equally blameworthy would be Muslims, Hindus, and even Buddhists. After all, in the seventeenth century, when Catholic inquisitions were at their height, the Buddhist/Shinto nation of Japan was engaged in a ferocious attempt to stamp out the deviant faith of Christianity through torture and massacre. In just forty years, these Japanese religious persecutions killed far more victims than the Spanish Inquisition would in all the centuries of its existence."

www.catholicbridge.com...

My understanding is that the Inquisition sentenced about 6,000 people to death, primarily heretical Christians. This tragedy and horror has been acknowledged and apologized for by the Popes.

Just thought you'd want a different slant.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   

As per usual its obvious how stupid it is to let religious beliefs anywhere near your government. Those poor idiots, dying and killing for such delusional reasons.

Joke: Seeing as how the American government isn't anywhere close to murdering christians for their faith... the job, like always, was sent abroad.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I cannot fathom why it surprises somebody when a group of people who make it their business to trample all over the customs, beliefs, values, and faith of another, get all upset when those whom they have offended stand up and say "enough is enough!"

If you want Christian persecution to stop, then leave the Muslims alone.

Don't proselytize to them, don't invade their countries, don't try to convert them, or threaten them with promises of going to Hell. Keep your faith to yourself, and everybody will get along much better.

Look at America. We have Christians, and Muslims, AND we've got Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, atheists, pagans of all stripes, and even practitioners of folk-religion like Shinto. Yet, on a day-to-day basis, the Muslims in America aren't out there killing the Jews; the Hindus aren't slaughtering the practitioners of Shinto, and the pagans aren't murdering the atheists.

Why? Because everyone minds their own god danged business in America.

The real problems start when one group of people try to make themselves more important than the others.

When Christians feared Communism they started a witch hunt which lead to our pledge of allegiance being modified to include a reference to God, and many innocent, talented, wonderful people were kicked out of the country based on hearsay.

When the propaganda machine swayed America's opinion on WWII, then all Japanese-Americans suffered. Many were thrown into American-made concentration camps. I don't remember seeing any big Christian movement to take care of THOSE innocent people.

When Christians like the Westboro Baptists do their thing, protesting funerals, praising natural disasters which kill hundreds, and condemning America for supporting those who are weaker than us, it angers almost everybody in the whole country.

When Evangelicals complain that their religion isn't mandatory in public schools, and that belief isn't taught in science classes, they throw a fits and have tantrums, which just annoy those of us who understand that America is a country where religious expression is open and free to all.

So, you see, if someone is attacking you for a belief, it would be wise to look at the entire situation first. Maybe it's not your belief alone which is making them attack you. Maybe it's how you use that belief, try to force it on them, or ignore their own belief, which is causing such hostilities.

If it was really a case of "all Muslims are evil!" then American-Muslims would be attacking you all the time. But they're not. So drop the persecution fantasy, and just go about your business. Keep your faith to yourself, like any other normal believer in anything, and that "persecution" complex will go away eventually.

~ Wandering Scribe

edit on 30/5/13 by Wandering Scribe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by leostokes

reply to post by theRhenn

History proves that it is human nature to propagate war and violence. The future will be just like the past.

Only if you keep telling yourself that and keep reelecting people that also believe it.

Killing and war is a pointless thing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join