It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud Explosion Heard After Cargo Train Derails Near Baltimore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

A train has derailed in the White Marsh area near Baltimore, the Baltimore Sun reports.

The train has been engulfed by a huge fire and there are reports of a loud explosion that could be heard in downtown Baltimore. Buidings near the scene appear to be damaged.

Rob Base of 92Q.com tweets that the train stuck a truck and that the driver is trapped. It isn't clear exactly what the train was carrying, but CNBC reports that a Hazmat team is on location.

www.businessinsider.com...

Another bad day for trains. Sounds like a truck may have caused it.
edit on 5/28/2013 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/28/2013 by roadgravel because: image

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

The train did not appear to have made contact with the buildings, aerial images from television news showed. The train cars were flipped, with thick black smoke continuing to billow as a fire burned. Emergency crews did not appear to be engaging the fire.

On Twitter, scores of people reported feeling a "shockwave" as far away as Canton and Pasadena. "Dogs and I all jumped. Neighbor said her curtains blew in!" one Patterson Parkresident wrote.

Two employees at S. DiPaula and Sons Seafood, across Pulaski Highway from the scene of the explosion, said the explosion was strong enough to knock off pieces of a ceiling furnace and pictures from the walls.

Read more: www.baltimoresun.com...

Sounds like the building may have been damaged by the shock from the explosion.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Hopefully no hazardous materials were dumped. I have a relative that worked for the railroad. When a hazmat car dumps, it has the potential for lots of pollution, and possibly death to lots of people-depending on what gets dumped. I hope for the best outcome in this situation. Hopefully it was just grain or automobiles!

Edit: Obviously it wasn't grain or automobiles. I hope no toxins were released and nobody was injured.
edit on 5/28/2013 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This vid shows a guy in the vicinity who chooses to grab a closer look, then decides to head in a safer direction. beware of cursing...

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

If one really wanted to go out there on the "paranoid fringe"..or if you grew up in South Africa in the 80's-this reminds of the tactic known as guerilla warfare.Allmost all African children are used to it,in some form or the other,some time or the other..

I have'nt made up my mind,just tossing it out there, for one perspective.
Maybe being a child and young person living in a country traumatised by vicious and deadly acts of terrorism by the then banned ANC has forever left me with a more suspicious mind?

edit on 28-5-2013 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Day by day we are starting to see the crumbling of the American infrastructure. How many patch jobs are they going to continue, especially with the nuclear reactors? America needs industries at home to rebuild the crumbling infrastructure, but wait....they don't have the budget for that. Things like this may become more common as time goes on.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by InFriNiTee

Also here.I'm always surprised though,every time i read of it being the case in America.As an American,when would you say the rot set in,there in the US?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

Ba-Jesus! That was crazy! That explosion was huge..what was on that train? That dudes pretty slick saying "roll up the windows...close the sunroof!" I would have freaked out...on a side note was that a baby in back seat?

Crazy.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

I would say that the crumbling of American infrastructure has been an ongoing thing. They really like to patch things up here. It does save lots of money to do it that way. I think this incident was related to track not being maintained properly. At the very least, I do know that there are lots of problems with the tracks that sometimes cause derailments. This is most likely related to the railroad trying to cut corners to maintain profitability. Just look up the threads about bridges collapsing and other infrastructure problems around the USA! Hopefully the government starts monitoring the maintenance crews more thoroughly.

edit on 5/28/2013 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Windows blown out at business near derailment.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by InFriNiTee
Day by day we are starting to see the crumbling of the American infrastructure. How many patch jobs are they going to continue, especially with the nuclear reactors? America needs industries at home to rebuild the crumbling infrastructure, but wait....they don't have the budget for that. Things like this may become more common as time goes on.

So what you are saying is without knowing the facts yet you have jumped to it being the failing American infrastructure vs say something else?

Something else like ,"A CSX freight train collided with a tractor-trailer and derailed in the Baltimore area Tuesday"
edit on 28-5-2013 by opethPA because: Updated info.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
FYI trains and trash trucks do not mix...

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
reply to post by loveguy

Ba-Jesus! That was crazy! That explosion was huge..what was on that train? That dudes pretty slick saying "roll up the windows...close the sunroof!" I would have freaked out...on a side note was that a baby in back seat?

Crazy.

Yeah!

I'm still waiting for word on the hazmat end.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Baltimore County spokeswoman Elise Armacost said the train was carrying unknown chemicals but said the smoke did not include toxic inhalants. Still, a 20-block area around the accident was evacuated.

"The evacuation would be much more significant if there were toxic chemicals," said Baltimore County Fire Chief John J. Hohman. He said he expected the fire to burn into the night, and firefighters were huddling with CSX officials about how best to attack the blaze.

Only two people were aboard the train, and they were uninjured, Armacost said.

They seem to sure there are no toxic chemicals.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
reply to post by loveguy

Crazy.

I thought I seen a baby in the backseat too.....watching the footage on hln news now.....a lot of damage on a near by building, looks like......

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel

Baltimore County spokeswoman Elise Armacost said the train was carrying unknown chemicals but said the smoke did not include toxic inhalants. Still, a 20-block area around the accident was evacuated.

"The evacuation would be much more significant if there were toxic chemicals," said Baltimore County Fire Chief John J. Hohman. He said he expected the fire to burn into the night, and firefighters were huddling with CSX officials about how best to attack the blaze.

Only two people were aboard the train, and they were uninjured, Armacost said.

They seem to sure there are no toxic chemicals.

According to this site, it was a coal train.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Isn't this like the 3rd train wreck this week?

Doesn't seem to be looking good to take the train these days.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by InFriNiTee

Thanks for your reply.I'm sorry to hear that.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

That might be a different wreck.

"A CSX freight train derailed Tuesday afternoon in the Rosedale area,"

and

"Police and fire department personnel responded to an emergency call at about 11:45 p.m. Monday and reported that 21 of the train’s 80 cars flipped over and fell from a bridge in Ellicott City, Md, a city just 14 miles from Baltimore."

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy
This vid shows a guy in the vicinity who chooses to grab a closer look, then decides to head in a safer direction. beware of cursing...

I had to quit watching that without sound.

"We from the hood bro"

Reminds me of "lil Wayne"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join