It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple question re: homosexuality

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
OK then....I didn't read all of the posted replies to the OP but from a far right, southern bred(not inbred mind you)

Christian
Marriage has always been, since the beginning of time recorded as between a man and woman..The only time in recorded history that "gays" and their lifestyle have come to the forefront is in the later stages of a civilizations decline..

NOW get ready...I don't care what anyone does in the privacy of their own world. I don't care who sleeps with who. I don't care if you want same sex relationships. What I do care about is YOU expecting me to accept, condone, celebrate, acknowledge, and give an okay or thumbs up to YOUR lifestyle choice. I am accepting of the fact that your choice is exactly that....your choice(If you are "gay") just don't ask me to celebrate your choice...It is not my choice.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

This argument is something that comes up a lot. Can you please explain exactly what you mean by sanctity of marriage?

Gladly…the term has obvious religious connotations as I’ve said numerous times. Our country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles. “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness..."

Sanctity is the quality or condition of being considered sacred; inviolability. Christians believe marriage is sacred as defined by the Bible (one man – one woman). Therefore, anything that strays from that standard is Unsanctimonious.

Most Christians put their personal religious beliefs aside, in the spirit of the constitution, and support the rights of gays to form a civil union. The OP and some gays want to make the issue about intolerance against the gay union but the only thing NOT TOLLERATED is the use of the term marriage, which is has religious meaning to Christians.

Is it really too much to ask that gays use a word for their union besides marriage.

Who is being unreasonable here….really??

edit on 27-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by dakota1s2
OK then....I didn't read all of the posted replies to the OP but from a far right, southern bred(not inbred mind you)

Christian Marriage has always been, since the beginning of time recorded as between a man and woman.

But "Christian" marriage is not the only kind of wedding.

You are all hung up on this illusion that marriage is a Christian religious institution, and gays would have to go to church and be married by a priest with the traditional Christian vows. I don't see any reason why they couldn't do that, but I would guess most gays wouldn't.

Marriage is not just about a religious ceremony, it's about the legal rights of partners. Religion has no right to claim a monopoly on marriage, and use it to try to deny others of their rights.

It's not up to us to judge now is it? Do Christians actually read the Bible, or do they let other people tell them what is says, I mean most people do that with politics...

Matthew 7:1 (NKJV) "Judge not, that you be not judged".

edit on 5/27/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

link   

Christian
Marriage has always been, since the beginning of time recorded as between a man and woman..The only time in recorded history that "gays" and their lifestyle have come to the forefront is in the later stages of a civilizations decline..

NOW get ready...I don't care what anyone does in the privacy of their own world. I don't care who sleeps with who. I don't care if you want same sex relationships. What I do care about is YOU expecting me to accept, condone, celebrate, acknowledge, and give an okay or thumbs up to YOUR lifestyle choice. I am accepting of the fact that your choice is exactly that....your choice(If you are "gay") just don't ask me to celebrate your choice...It is not my choice.

And this kind of honesty is perfectly okay. No-one in the gay community could, would or should expect every single person on the planet to be happy for them being gay.

They are just asking for people to accept them, let them have the same rights as everyone else and to let them live their lives peacefully. Gay people have things other than their own civil rights that they disagree with and their opinions are as diverse as the rest of the community on all sorts of issues after all.
edit on 27-5-2013 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

What I do care about is YOU expecting me to accept, condone, celebrate, acknowledge, and give an okay or thumbs up to YOUR lifestyle choice.

Great. You don't have to; it's not a choice.

The incredible arrogance it takes to say it is a choice is as unchristian as it is idiotic. You honestly think teenaged boys wake up one day and ponder "Hmmmm, now how in the hell can I get beat up more in school?"

I don't accept your choice to not develop any critical thinking skills and apply them in any basic fashion to show the slightest bit of perspective to a human being. Why? Because you claim to be Christian. christians are not the judges of people. You have no god-given right to not accept anyone. It's against your faith.

Also, I sure hope you don't eat figs.

God hates figs.
edit on 27-5-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by markosity1973

This argument is something that comes up a lot. Can you please explain exactly what you mean by sanctity of marriage?

Gladly…the term has obvious religious connotations as I’ve said numerous times. Our country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles. “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness..."

Sanctity is the quality or condition of being considered sacred; inviolability. Christians believe marriage is sacred as defined by the Bible (one man – one woman). Therefore, anything that strays from that standard is Unsanctimonious.

Most Christians put their personal religious beliefs aside, in the spirit of the constitution, and support the rights of gays to form a civil union. The OP and some gays want to make the issue about intolerance against the gay union but the only thing NOT TOLLERATED is the use of the term marriage, which is has religious meaning to Christians.

Is it really too much to ask that gays use a word for their union besides marriage.

edit on 27-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

Two things I would pick up on here; If the word marriage has religious connotations, then what are your opinions on say Muslims. Buddhists and Atheists marrying? The first two are religious, but not Christian, and the last one is not religious at all.

Secondly. I would agree with you, civil union is a very good place to start. To 'test the waters' if it were. Same rights, just different name. I would agree with you that religion has a special place in the hearts of a lot of people. But denying rights to another group because of religion goes against the very foundation of a truly free society.

Maybe you might be interested to read my post on my take on Christian theology to see my 'way' around it for Christian thinkers.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness..."

Wow, that Higgs Boson particle thought of everything.

Sanctity is the quality or condition of being considered sacred; inviolability. Christians believe marriage is sacred as defined by the Bible (one man – one woman).

Which changed according to the times, shocking no one I'm sure. Polygamy was just as common and just as valid under the eyes of the Church during biblical times. This is why I can't take people seriously about the "definition of marriage" ridiculum. The definition of marriage has changed thousands of times over the course of history. Saying it's a finite definition is strictly asinine.

And that won't change for them. If that's their definition of marriage then it's their definition of marriage. Doesn't matter at all. what the state recognizes as marriage and what a religious person recognizes as marriage are completely detatched from eachother. It's not even remotely related anymore.

The same person using adjectives as nouns and telling people that obsessing about the definition fo marriage is ridiculous as he goes on, himself, obsessing about the definition of marriage. Megalomania.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

And that won't change for them. If that's their definition of marriage then it's their definition of marriage. Doesn't matter at all. what the state recognizes as marriage and what a religious person recognizes as marriage are completely detatched from eachother. It's not even remotely related anymore.
This right here.

The best part about this thread, so far, is the people that are arguing that "it isnt about fear, its about being afraid of losing our christian heritage".

And, yet, the hypocrisy doesnt even cross their minds.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

So, God is perfectly okay with Satanists and atheists getting a marriage license? It's okay to hate God or to not follow/believe/worship God -- you can get a marriage license and call it a marriage; it doesn't hurt the sanctity of marriage? I thought non-believers go to hell. So, all the non-believing heathens who are bound for hell can go ahead and call their unions a marriage and it doesn't hurt the sanctity of marriage? What about people who do bad things like scam people out of money, or who commit one or more of the seven deadly sins in their daily lives? Can they get a marriage license and call their unions a marriage? Wouldn't it hurt the sanctity of marriage for evil people to call their unions a marriage?

See, this has nothing really to do with the sanctity of marriage. It has to do with people's irrational fears. Fear of something that is very different than themselves. Fear of change in society. Once gay marriage is legal everywhere, people will eventually get over their fears when they realize that nothing will change in their personal lives. It is this way with all major changes we've had to deal with in our society.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
You've already made them clear, but you didnt answer the question.

Maybe you should read your own question again and you would understand that I did and more.

Also....

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
It is simple logic that gay marriage cannot and will not effect any person outside of that particular relationship. It cannot effect my marriage. It cannot effect yours.

It is ignorant logic to presume you know what other people think, and to say a gay marriage will not effect anyone else and ONLY limit that effect to "marriage" is totally blinkered. The effects of any marriage go beyond a ceremony or union and the two individuals.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

So are you implying that I will be judged because I endorse two individuals to be happy?

What about God's will? He didn't create them to be what they are now?

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
It is ignorant logic to presume you know what other people think, and to say a gay marriage will not effect anyone else and ONLY limit that effect to "marriage" is totally blinkered. The effects of any marriage go beyond a ceremony or union and the two individuals.

Hmm so how will it effect you exactly?

What would be different from a same sex couple living together in a relationship, or living together as a legally married couple?

How would that effect you, or anyone outside of that relationship? I'd really like to know.

edit on 5/27/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
The effects of any marriage go beyond a ceremony or union and the two individuals.

Finite claims demand finite evidence. Feel free to share.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

So, God is perfectly okay with Satanists and atheists getting a marriage license?

I guess the church has an issue with Satanists and atheists if they walk in looking like this.

Or this…

There is nothing subtle about being gay…you do know that, right?

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

The best part about this thread, so far, is the people that are arguing that "it isnt about fear, its about being afraid of losing our christian heritage".

The funniest part about this thread is that you don’t want to know what others think. You want to get on your soapbox, pat each other on the back for your thoughts, and ridicule everyone else.

Nobody is afraid of gay marriage!

Nobody cares!!

In the end, you’re going do what you want and you still won’t have universal acceptance…even when it’s legal!

Enjoy!!

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
I very much agree with seabag and i disagree with the op somewhat because i have found the spiritual reason for all the problems with it. GOD created homosexuality as a form of punishment from past life going against him. I have been having visions of my pre life and i seen that on a spiritual level all soul mates were male and female but we are at the culmination of our human existence before GOD'S return and most vessels were already taken. So many soul mates went into same sex vessels. That does not take away from the fact that is is a form of punishment that many have to suffer and no pride should be taken in that but what do i know.

The scary part you refer to has been programmed into some humans just like the other has been.
edit on 27-5-2013 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

Look guy, i am NOT being punished for anything, and since i'm 'Bi-sexual' am i being half punished? or is my "'Choice"" the wrong one?, god did not create me, nor 'Gay' as a punishment, and since i don't believe in god how does that work?

i have tons of Pride, i feel sad for anyone who has not the open mind to accept everything in life

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Some people are dicks and want everyone to think the same as them and aren't capable of understanding that people can have different perspectives.

It's not just with gay marriage. It can be with anything from how you drive, to what you eat, to whatever. And they like to punish those who don't think the same as them to make it look like those people are failures, when it is themselves who are. And of course this is perpetuated by peer pressure from other men who will attack their own friends when they have a positive idea.

I don't think the phenomenon is gender exclusive or philosophically exclusive.

So... some people don't like gay marriage because they make poor life choices themselves?
edit on 27-5-2013 by darkbake because: To make more applicable

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Yep, just like I said - irrational fears. If they don't look like us, they don't deserve the same as us.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Where did you get "religion" or anything else that you think I might have said--- other than I choose not to accept or believe. that the lifestyle celebrated in this OP is good, wholesome, and or advancing humanity on any level. I am not a judge of any person. Why do I have to be judgmental just because I choose something different. Because I don't agree with the majority of the thread doesn't mean I don't or can't think critically..

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I love figs....God doesn't hate figs or fig trees....just non productive ones...See how you twist things that you really don't know... And what right do you have to tell me not to judge....You just judged me..

My whole post had to do with "I am not your judge and you aren't mine" so if I don't agree with the(your)(Gay) lifestyle....don't try and make me...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join