It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's all take a minute to honor America's true heroes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
On this memorial day I ask that we all take a minute away from the politically divisive threads to honor America's true heroes: dissenters who aren't afraid to speak out against unjust wars and foreign interventionism, whistleblowers who demand accountability and transparency in government, and conscientious objectors whose conscience trumps obeying out of fear. It is fact that civil libertarians have done more to secure the freedom of human beings in both the US and abroad than any other group. To those I say: thank you for your continued service to this country and to the world. Land of the free because of the brave!

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'll give you a flag for that

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
You are quite right my friend. It takes much more courage to stand up and do what is right than it does to break the law or do what is wrong. The wrong way is much easier most of the time, and it confers much more personal benefits. I cannot be the only one who has stopped to wonder why the government and police would infiltrate and attempt to bring down such groups as the OWS protesters. We know this occurred, it is fact. But why?

Could it be because the government does not want people speaking the truth, or standing up to them? Everyone must realize that our founding fathers passed down some wisdom to us of this generation. They said that when a government is not doing what they are supposed to be doing, and are breaking the law, (NDAA, indefinite detention, Patriot Act, etc.), we as the citizens of the USA MUST stand up to them. So by opposing the government, we are actually standing up for the true government. The true government being what was passed down to us, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights...We have an obligation, no matter how difficult it may be, to oppose tyranny.

People talk about how bad fascism is, but they fail to realize that the US is a fascist country at this point. We are run by corporations and corrupt officials. We do not elect leaders with the same views as us. They pretend to have the same views, but really they stand up for the interests of those who give them money, those who help them get elected. It is no wonder we only have two political parties. And for those who say anyone can run for president, when is the last time someone not a dem or rep actually won an election? Exactly. This country IS NOT FREE anymore.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I thought you were going to say scientists. They are the true heroes of humanity, who have delivered us from drudgery, disease and early death. At least some of us.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
If dissent is the highest from of patriotism, and treason is the highest form of dissent, is treason the highest form of patriotism?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
We don't give a @#$% about our heroes.

Ask anyone whose been/worked at a VA hospital.
Or the vets on some kind of watchlist, simply for being a vet,

Symbolism over substance.

No offense, but the hypocrisy of memorial day just pisses me off, I'm sure you meant well.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by schadenfreude

I believe you meant to say " the government doesn't honor heroes, and puts them on watch lists out of the fear they will back the people against them"

The people do honor Vets, I know, I am one, and have been thanked many times by complete strangers for my service.

It is the government that has life messed up right now, the people have their hearts where they belong, in the right place.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I thank the men and women who served during WW1 & WW2, however to call modern day service men/women "heroes" doesnt half wind me up. There is nothing heroic about occupying someone else's country, terrorising their civilian population while killing a few rebels and then returning home expecting people to lick your ass because your part of a big gang known as the army.

Its sad that if i said this outside of my own house, i'd be put down by my peers

I washed up today, guess im a hero.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

I was getting ready to blast you for blatant jingoism, but was pleasantly surprised. Thanks for reminding us.

Originally posted by justiyt
If dissent is the highest from of patriotism, and treason is the highest form of dissent, is treason the highest form of patriotism?

If it's true patriotism, it's likely to fall under the umbrella of "treason" in colorable law. But true treason (selling out your family, essentially) is not and never will be patriotism.

Obama is guilty of treason in signing the Monsanto Protection Act. Bush is guilty of treason for his complicity in 9/11. Clinton is guilty of treason in using the US Military to prosecute an unlawful war in the balkans. Bush Sr. is guilty of treason in his headship of the CIA (he knows about the drugs and criminals the CIA use). Reagan.... need I go on?
edit on 28-5-2013 by seamus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

I agree.

Currently, when we say "thank you for your service", what is the service we are receiving other than being able to pay huge taxes so that the military can go fight for the global banks?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
It is fact that civil libertarians have done more to secure the freedom of human beings in both the US and abroad than any other group. To those I say: thank you for your continued service to this country and to the world. Land of the free because of the brave!

You were almost right until you said "civil libertarianism"...

ACLU is the most prominent "civil libertarian group"...

Let me give you an example of how ACLU and it's "civil libertarians" are not always fighting for "individual rights"...

ACLU POSITION
Given the reference to "a well regulated Militia" and "the security of a free State," the ACLU has long taken the position that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right.

www.aclu.org...

ACLU, and it's civil libertarians couldn't be more wrong and go against the ideas, principles and rights that the founding fathers agreed were meant for EACH INDIVIDUAL, and not "THE COLLECTIVE"...

edit on 29-5-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

The ACLU isn't representative of all civil libertarians.

new topics

top topics

join