It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bono, Richard Branson, and Olivia Wilde Make Fun of "Illuminati Conspiracies" in Ad for Clean Wate

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

"Illuminati", in the modern context, is a complete joke...it has been for a while and they're definitely working that angle to full effect - meanwhile, completely downplaying the serious issue they're suppossedly trying to illuminate to the world.

Bad form, as far as raising awareness of a serious real world issue...more people are going to fixate on the conspiracy angle than the actual real world problem.

This is not an organization I'd give a single dime to.
If the promoters and spokespersons can't take it seriously, why should we?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
When I saw this video I was completely dumbfounded.Seemed to me that they are using a serious issue as a platform to make jokes about illuminati conspiracies.It totally overshadowed the supposed objective.And the the jokes about "not using the bathroom",I did not find that at all humorous.In fact,at the very least,it was in very poor taste.I can't understand how this video was even put out.It is arrogant,offensive and completely idiotic.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

I recently learned that this particular form of popular culture (the illuminati myth) is popular with a great deal
of youngsters/teenagers (at least here in the uk). It's quite likely that this video will go viral.
This could be nothing more than clever marketing, aimed at gaining that particular age groups interest
where it would not normally exist. The use of comedy week is a dead give away.

They dont even have to look up from their phones to get the msg

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Conspiracy or not this type of humor is in bad taste. What are they going to make fun of next? Child brides?

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Its genius marketing.

We are talking about it in this thread, regardless of whether or not you think it is in bad taste you are now aware of the problem.

That is the only point of the video.

Awareness.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

to you: A few hundred people will see this thread max. And many are people they are mocking.

to everyone: It's a weird commercial. And I wouldn't doubt it if everything they say is true....They love to put stuff in the open like this.

They are probably just slaves to the real "illuminati" though.
edit on 27-5-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

People are totally missing the point, and its kind of sad. Its about viral marketing.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

to you: A few hundred people will see this thread max. And many are people they are mocking.

So what? I saw it here first, and now I've posted it to my facebook and twitter.

A few hundred more people will see the information, and if even one person reposts it, then that is a few hundred more people. That is how this stuff spreads.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee

Originally posted by Ghost375

So what? I saw it here first, and now I've posted it to my facebook and twitter.

A few hundred more people will see the information, and if even one person reposts it, then that is a few hundred more people. That is how this stuff spreads.

Dont bother. I tried to point out how smart this marketing strategy was to people when a made a thread about it a week ago. People are too caught on the "oooohhhhh, theyre taunting us" mindset to realize what these people did here.

Glad to see some get it, though

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Jezz, how many times is this video going to be posted on ATS

Viral marketing or not, no one is paying attention to what it's about and only focusing on these celebs and the conspiracy they are making fun of while trying to be funny.

The video is complete fail and people are only gonna watch it for the fail, kinda like a car wreck on the side of the highway. Did you read the comments on the YT page? This video is not a winner.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

How do you know only a few hundred will see this thread? None of us know how many people view a thread, and stars and flags are not a very good indicator. I often wonder why ATS disabled the view feature.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Wow,really?So a few people on here actually think this is some new standard in advertising?You really consider this intelligent?To me it sets a new low of celebrity arrogance.We may be talking about it,but not because we are all concerned with any water-storage.The reason we are all talking about it is because the ad is so unbelievably condescending.You really think this ad shows any heart felt concern for the plight of people who do not have clean drinking water?

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
On a side note, in the YT description the opening sentence is, "Millions of celebrities have joined Matt Damon's "Toilet Strike" protesting the lack of access to safe water and adequate sanitation for billions.".

Millions? Really?

It definitely has to be said this is an honorable undertaking, its just too bad the video advertising it is so bad and is receiving a lot of negative attention.
edit on 27-5-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jammer2012
Wow,really?So a few people on here actually think this is some new standard in advertising?You really consider this intelligent?To me it sets a new low of celebrity arrogance.We may be talking about it,but not because we are all concerned with any water-storage.The reason we are all talking about it is because the ad is so unbelievably condescending.You really think this ad shows any heart felt concern for the plight of people who do not have clean drinking water?
New standard? No, not whatsoever.

Which is why it is so sad that people still dont get it.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

What I don't get is how you can refer to this as "smart marketing".You say clever,I say condescending.And any thinking person would consider how they are coming across as "taunting".Do you really think that the appeoach they took has people saying "Wow,that is such smart marketing,I'm going to stop using the toilet and start donating to poor people with unsanitary water conditions"?That was not my response to the ad at all,and clearly,judging by most posts,I am not alone.Seems to me that maybe you are the one who "doesn't get it" lol.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

The campaign itself was a reboot of the traditional public service announcement, designed from the start to take advantage of new media, niche audiences, and the reinforcing loops of distribution that are challenging the hegemony of the one-to-many model of television messaging.

Potty humor seems like a no-brainer for a web video campaign, but not necessarily for a nonprofit. “We’ve been 11experimenting for two years now on how to get people to care--literally give a #,” Damon told me. “Statistics like 'every 20 seconds a child dies from a preventable water-borne illness’ are shocking and true. But people aren’t shocked by statistics. And they don’t want to share them with their friends.” But the team has had good luck with humor in the past. Last Christmas, "Damon Claus for a Cause" got over a million views and gave the team confidence. And for the last two years, McCamon has been tapping popular, and sweetly funny YouTube talent, like Craig Benzine’s WheezyWaiter (Benzine was a waiter and he has asthma) and the Vlog Brothers--Hank and John Green--and bringing them to tour Water.org projects in India and Haiti

For Water.org, the risk has paid off. The day of the launch, traffic to Water.org doubled from its previous all-time high. “The ‘press conference’ video is just about one million views on YouTube,” McCamon says. “The other YouTube creators and PSAs added another 1.6 million views and 250,000 visitors to the campaign website.” For the organization, the engagement was meaningful. “Over 90,000 visitors took some sort of action--watching the press conference, signed up as a supporter, subscribed to our YouTube channel, made a gift or sought more information from our main site.” Though the team is still crunching the numbers, it currently appears to be a healthy 35% conversion rate.

McCamon is happiest about their automated social-media posting mechanism, which lets supporters “donate” their tweets or Facebook statuses to Water.org for occasional updates. (It’s software that Water.org developed and has just made open source.) “We’ve had around 8,250 people “support the strike,” which enabled us to post content on their social media channels. By adding some 22,000 visitors via the donated tweets and multiplying that by the additional posts, McCamon estimates that the aggregate social reach of those posts may exceed 16 million people.

www.fastcocreate.com...

So far the marketing campaign has worked quite well. As they said well-enough you may tell the facts, people just dont give a sh*t. You have to try alternative methods in order to raise awareness.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jammer2012

What I don't get is how you can refer to this as "smart marketing".You say clever,I say condescending.And any thinking person would consider how they are coming across as "taunting".Do you really think that the appeoach they took has people saying "Wow,that is such smart marketing,I'm going to stop using the toilet and start donating to poor people with unsanitary water conditions"?That was not my response to the ad at all,and clearly,judging by most posts,I am not alone.Seems to me that maybe you are the one who "doesn't get it" lol.
Its smart marketing because it is getting people to talk about it. It really is that simple.

If its clever, condescending, rude, sexual....IT DOESNT MATTER. The point is attention, and this, quite obviously is garnering attention.

But you're right, it must be me who doesnt get it.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

So...there's no such thing as bad publicity?

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

So...there's no such thing as bad publicity?

That you dont like it doesnt change the fact. These things are about AWARENESS. Even if you all are bad mouthing it, you are still AWARE of the campaign.

Thus, it is working.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
People with this much money ,are part of it. Richard is doing private men's club in space,with all the trimmings.
People with that much money,all go to those billionaires events,where they discuss how to kill the rest of us,making it a better world for them .
That being said,I'm not sure if Richard goes to any of those meetings . But Bloomberg,Gates and Oprah go . Those three have about as much in common as an ardvark,a herring,and a cobra .

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join