It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consumers Will Soon Have Devices In Their Hands To Detect GMO and Toxic Foods

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jinni73

I know about a lot of the things you have posted. We grow our own veg. We try to buy local or organic. We do everything we possibly can to eat what is best for our bodies. We have a microwave but never use it. We have fluoride free toothpaste. I am not sure whether our water has fluoride in it. But I can certainly taste something in it.

I posted this in the thinking that if such a device was readily available ad affordable to your average world citizen. Then it would open their eyes and show them first hand that a lot of food is pumped full of who knows what.

But it seems that such a device may still be a while off and that it is not a real device as of yet..

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

So in your pic, I guess they're piercing the apple?

Will grocers allow this? I mean, what if folks come in with these "testers" and start pricking everything?

I do not think the device pierces the food. From what the article in the link says it will use wavelengths of light to determine the biological make up of the food. But as another member posted. This is maybe not how it works..

Please see post linked below...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The problem with this is that food may have different origins in the same display in the supermarket. Say you test one apple, the apple next to it may have come from a different farm. The same thing is possible with frozen veggies, many farmers supply the packer. It will be almost impossible to properly utilize this detector.

Buy from a local grower that grows quality products. In a local retail environment, the person won't be able to make it if they start cheating, they will tell someone and it will spread like wildfire most times. I know people who are deceptive and they often brag about their deceit. Don't automatically believe a competitor though, they have motive to undermine their competition.

I try to buy local if possible and I do not mind paying a little extra for fresh food. No added preservation chemicals need to be added to the veggies. Some people add these chemicals, often organic, to their foods thinking the customer should have his produce looking good for longer. Let the customer wash them in these chemicals if they want, don't add them but inform them that they exist. Some people are allergic to these chemicals even though they are organic. Often organic chemistry has more allergens to it.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jinni73

Although that all sounds like conspiracy rubbish after doing some research you quickly find out how true it all is. There is still hope though, they might be able to slow and hamper progress but not stop it. The human spirit and greater good will always prevail. Just like you say, the best defense against all of it is your mind, in particular your belief system, expectations, will power and awareness.
edit on 28-5-2013 by Eonnn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
The problem with this is that food may have different origins in the same display in the supermarket. Say you test one apple, the apple next to it may have come from a different farm. The same thing is possible with frozen veggies, many farmers supply the packer. It will be almost impossible to properly utilize this detector.

Which is exactly one of the reasons why labelling for GMO foods is meaningless.

Because food manufacturers and supermarkets source ingredients and materials from anywhere they can get them at the cheapest prices, changing suppliers on a whim, its going to end up in the distant future that everything is going to have a "May contain GMO" label, even if it doesnt.

Thats not giving consumers *knowledge* about whats in the product. The result is just a lawyer imposed warning to avoid lawsuits, like all those "Warning: Hot when heated" nonsense labels.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

An outright ban on GMO food is in order. Just like many countries around the world that want to wait and see what happens to the people eating GMO food. Within a couple of generations the evidence will appear. At that time, the other countries will be able to just walk into the USA and take over it's military and assets.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

This is an excellent device/idea. Kind of like a tricorder.

They need to make one that can detect rubbing alcohol or cheap alcohol. This should be used at bars to oppose the practice of filling top shelf bottles with rubbish or rubbing alcohol.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I don't know, at this point the uncertainty of long term health effects(if any) may warrant labeling. It is not certain that there are no ill effects absolutely, so labeling is a good idea if for nothing else but to inform. Granted the mixture of ingredients assures gmo in so many products, but the ones that are all gmo, I personally would like to know beforehand.

Thats not giving consumers *knowledge* about whats in the product. The result is just a lawyer imposed warning to avoid lawsuits, like all those "Warning: Hot when heated" nonsense labels.

Could it not serve both purposes? And if it is a lawyer imposed notion, what is the reason and there must be some concern, even in the slightest degree. Also, the warning when hot is for some idiot that would try to sue, but could actually get hurt, so what is the premise of fear in addressing a label for gmos? Just in case someone develops allergic reaction maybe? Unless there is enough evidence, no one will be able to prove a direct link to gmo as a culprit. I think the labeling is more a demand from consumers for choices.

its going to end up in the distant future that everything is going to have a "May contain GMO" label, even if it doesnt.

That makes sense, but yea the ambiguity makes it kind of worthless. Maybe instead there can be products that tout no Gmo's, and we can pay the difference if desired. I realize there is much hype associated with this topic, but I just feel that messing with mother nature in such a fashion as mixing genes of various species, including animal and insects with plants, could create some detrimental reactions either within us or the natural world. It is one thing to twaek a plant and it's own genes, but crossing them with entirely different species is subject to scrutiny me thinks.

As to the device, yea it will probably move to the form of an app at some point, but years ahead? Who knows with tech evolving as fast as it does. And if there is a strong demand for such product, it will move faster to the forefront, imo.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
Which is exactly one of the reasons why labelling for GMO foods is meaningless.

Because food manufacturers and supermarkets source ingredients and materials from anywhere they can get them at the cheapest prices, changing suppliers on a whim, its going to end up in the distant future that everything is going to have a "May contain GMO" label, even if it doesnt.

Just to illustrate this point I made here, I see a news item today about labelling of foods that may or may not contain peanuts...

More than 65 per cent of packaged food and even more of snack food has some form of allergy caution, such as 'made in the same factory as products containing peanuts'
'There are so many forms of precautionary labelling statements that consumers have no idea which to take seriously,'

skynews

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jinni73

The part where you said fluoride affects your brain in such a way to make you submissive to authority - that doesn't sound right. A lot of your post was good but some seemed a bit too much. I grew up in California where fluoride was put into the drinking water. It seems they are the least likely people (at least back then) to be submissive to authority. In fact, I've never lived anywhere where that is less true.

I also believe there is still healthy food on this planet. I buy non GMO bread and other products labeled as such. No pesticides, etc. it's 3-6x more than any other loaf of bread but its out there. Sadly, your scenario could come to pass.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This is pretty cool if it works well. Monsanto wont have to worry about labeling GMO's; the people will create huge lists using this tool and put them on the internet.

Widespread use of this tool could force companies to create healthier foods. That would rock. This could change the whole industry.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join