It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schumer (D), Franken (D) urged IRS to Target Tea Party in 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Chuck Schumer (D), Al Franken (D), Max Baucus (D), directly stated to the IRS that it should target the Tea Party. Add to those three - Michael Bennet, Sheldon Whitehouse, Jeff Merkley, Tom Udall, Jeanne Shaheen ... all Democrats .... who also tried to manipulate the situation. At this point it is unclear if the 2nd group of Democrats specifically said 'Tea Party' or if they were just backdooring that intent with their manipulations. (still checking that out)

Chuck Schumer (D) and Al Franken (D) urged IRS to Target Tea Party in 2012

Long before the Internal Revenue Service revealed it had improperly targeted conservative 501(c)(4) groups, a group of Democratic senators led by New York Sen. Chuck Schumer urged the IRS to do just that.

The IRS’s admission last Friday that it had singled out tea party and other groups for extra audits and delays has raised concerns that President Barack Obama’s administration quietly attempted to stymy opponents through intimidation. But many prominent Democrats — including Montana Sen. Max Baucus, Americans United for the Separation of Church and State and the New York Times editorial board — had been publicly calling for tighter restrictions on 501(c)(4) groups affiliated with the tea party and conservatives.

Last year, Schumer, along with Democratic Sens. Michael Bennet, Sheldon Whitehouse, Jeff Merkley, Tom Udall, Jeanne Shaheen and Al Franken, penned a letter calling on the agency to cap the amount of the political spending by groups masquerading as “social welfare organizations.”

If far right Republican weenies ....like say Michelle Bachmann .. had urged the IRS to target any group that had the word 'Progressive' in their title ... would these same democrats be okay with it? I'm thinking ... NOT.

This should be headlining in the news with the rest of the scandal. It should be highlighted. Someone at the IRS is going to be the fall guy but the problem is much more wide spread than that. This needs A LOT of investigation and coverage by the press. Lets hope the press can do their job with this and not be harassed like James Rosen was and the AP was ....

Side note - Al Franken ... NBCs Saturday Night Live actor ... did anyone ever find out for sure if the pictures of him in an adult sized baby diaper and stuffed animal were authentic or not? I've heard that it was ... and I also heard the opposite, that it was all fabricated. Just curious ...

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Let's face it. There has been a lot of "targetting" going on from both sides in one way or another. I'm of the opinion we should get rid of PACs period no matter who they are. PACs are also guilty of "targetting".

Playing once side against the other is getting very old.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The privilege of political power in action. Even democrats are having a hard time excusing this, although some are trying, which I enjoy because it exposes them that much more to people seeing the light for the first time. I'm an American, not a Democrat, Republican or whatever else.

Favorite techniques are comparing it to something the "right" did in the past, as if this is somehow a legitimate excuse. Posing it as a question that "it's unclear if any laws were actually broken", to somehow postpone you from making the proper judgement. My favorite, actual justification.

This is exposing our current government for exactly what it really is, an out of control, bloated, greedy bully that cares little about laws, ethics and least of all the people they "serve", correction control.

The only reason we're hearing about this in the "news media" is because it serves yet another political agenda, the balance of power is simply swinging from one corrupt team to another.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Al Franken questions racial profiling.

In the Judiciary Committee Sen. Franken questioned witnesses about the anti-muslim racial profiling that was recently reported.

www.franken.senate.gov...

Hillary Clinton on disagreeing with administrations.

“I'm sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We need to stand up and say we're Americans, and we have the right to debate and disagree with any administration.”

Yet Franken pushed for profiling of Tea Party groups?

If we are firing IRS officials for profiling, why aren't we firing the politicians who encouraged profiling?

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
They didn't target the "Tea Party", they targeted 501(c)4 groups, who may be masquerading as "social welfare organizations", but were really political groups. If the Tea Party groups were doing that, then that's on them. If they were cheating and lying, then they SHOULD be caught in this net.

If I'm wrong, please show me where these Senators named the "Tea Party" groups.

And... the Daily Caller, FF? You have to know they lie.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

If that were the only problem here, I might agree with you, it's disappointing people don't realize just how disturbing this really is.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
They didn't target the "Tea Party", they targeted 501(c)4 groups, who may be masquerading as "social welfare organizations", but were really political groups. If the Tea Party groups were doing that, then that's on them. If they were cheating and lying, then they SHOULD be caught in this net.

They targeted Tea Party groups using the excuse that they were just targeting 501(c)4 groups.

They can't just say, "Hey! Let's isolate and target our political enemies!"

We actually had to wait and see who they did target.

It would have been real nice of them to actually say, "Let's break the law and target groups so it would benefit us in a political way because we are lying weenies."

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Wait for it. They'll be declaring themselves the victims before to long. They excel at that.

The old, "You took what I said out of context" will be bandied about.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
A loose knit group that espouses THEMSELVES AS AN ANTITAXATION AND SOME EVEN SAY "DONT PAY YOUR TAXES CUZ YOU DON'T HAVE TO is targeted by the people who COLLECT TAXES?
Huh? Seems like common sense to me. Like targeting a group of chimps next door if your banana tree is bare...just saying.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Just a wee commentary.

Often, we talk about bills being presented in the American political arena. The "Save The Children and Puppies and Baskets of Kittens Act", for example.

Many of us look at the bill and see not how it will be used, but how it can abuse. Defenders say, "But you must hate children and puppies and baskets of kittens if you are against it!"
Opponents will say, "Sure children and puppies and kittens are fine, but this bill also enables the government to attack unicorns and faeries, and angels and sunshine!"

Defenders will say, "It does not say anything about attacking unicorns or faeries or angels or sunshine!"

So we wait.
The bill passes.
Becomes a law.

And all of a sudden, unicorns and faeries and angels and sunshine are attacked. Defenders will say, "Wow. We didn't know. We had no idea. Because we only wanted to protect children and puppies and kittens."

Yet all along, we knew that the real target was unicorns, faeries, angels and sunshine.

American politics 101.

edit on 26-5-2013 by beezzer because: The letter "k"

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

They didn't target the "Tea Party", they targeted 501(c)4 groups,.. .

yeah right. They wanted to go after all the political groups that had 'progressive' in their name too, right? No. Most of us aren't buying that spin. These far left weenies are just as partisan as the far right Michelle Bachmann weenie ... Its the M.O. of all of them ... right or left ... and Al Franken is far left.

From you left wing buddies at Huffington Post - IRS Scandal Puts Dems Who Called For Investigation Of Conservative Group In A Bind

Dems are now changing their tune ... saying that everyone should be investigated across the board evenly.
gee ... better late than never I suppose.

edit on 5/26/2013 by FlyersFan because: fixed link

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
anyone who takes the side of republican or democrat should find themselves living in a sad version of their own imposing reality on people who really get frustrated by thier back and forth humping motion upon eachother ruining lives by making laws that swoop up people into poverty or prison for their own image and gain, they should feel nothing but shame.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Don't forget the hack Senator from the great state of Michigan. He was right in the middle of it as well.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

The Tea Party isn't Democrat or Republican. They oppose people pissing on the Constitution from BOTH parties. The establishment big-government Republicans attack the Tea Party with as much ferocity as Progressive Democrats.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthermantwo
anyone who takes the side of republican or democrat should find themselves living in a sad version of their own imposing reality on people who really get frustrated by thier back and forth humping motion upon eachother ruining lives by making laws that swoop up people into poverty or prison for their own image and gain, they should feel nothing but shame.

I was watching 20-30 year old videos of George Carlin with the girlfriend last night...he was saying the same thing back then...the message falls on deaf ears, my friend. Everything he said back then held true today...ALL the politicians want us to do is get us to argue and fight amongst ourselves while they and their crony corporate and banking buddies steal us blind. I always respected the man, but considering what has occurred since he took the stage and said this, I now consider him a prophet.
edit on 26-5-2013 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Schumer and Franken!!!!

Oh this gets better and better by the day.

The deliberate targeting of political groups by the left, and yet they don't see they did nothing 'wrong'..

Corrupt politicians a corrupt administration, and a government agency corrupted because of petty politics.

They all need fired.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Correction: they all need to go to jail.
I would laugh my arse off if Franken went to jail.

How does that feel, funny man?

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by neo96

Correction: they all need to go to jail.
I would laugh my arse off if Franken went to jail.

How does that feel, funny man?

Have you ever been to jail? I would assume not or you would not take the topic so lightly. I spent some time in county...they were in the process of moving a lot of rapists and murderers there at the time because the prison system IS. FOR PROFIT. so until you spend thanksgiving dinner with Detroit Metal and Black Steve...you have no right to judge. Ha ha ha. Happy faces...turned out I was wrongly convicted but still had to pay the state $7 a day for their mistake.

edit on 27-5-2013 by the owlbear because: ha ha ha...you are not funny

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Schumer and Franken!!!!

Oh this gets better and better by the day.

The deliberate targeting of political groups by the left, and yet they don't see they did nothing 'wrong'..

Corrupt politicians a corrupt administration, and a government agency corrupted because of petty politics.

They all need fired.

Missed you neo...been a while...read my previous post above yours...watch what the man has to say and get back with me...im curious as to your reaction. Love and peace as always
The ever loving owlbear

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

Nope.
Never been to jail. But I understand the law well enough to know these shart stains broke it.

So, I dismiss your emotive appeal and stand by my opinion that these folks need to go to jail.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join