It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global march challenges Monsanto's dominance: LIVE UPDATES

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
While I support Monsanto in no way whatsoever, the issue is systemic and they are merely playing along.

The mass majority of humans put personal greed before the needs of others. I suppose Monsanto provides a clear and defined scapegoat, but it seems to me that it is done to completely skirt personal responsibility on many levels.

Obviously I cant support this statement, but I would venture a guess that a large percentage of the population would be doing exactly the same thing if they were calling the shots at a global bank, or Monsanto, or in any positions of power.

Very few will actually admit to this, but thats indicative of the issue I am presenting. "No, I would never do that!" is declared until the individual gets into a position where they actually have the option to put their own greed over others needs.

This problem will persist until our cultural story changes. Until then, we will continue to conveniently overlook our own transgressions while pointing the finger elsewhere.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serdgiam
While I support Monsanto in no way whatsoever, the issue is systemic and they are merely playing along.

The mass majority of humans put personal greed before the needs of others. I suppose Monsanto provides a clear and defined scapegoat, but it seems to me that it is done to completely skirt personal responsibility on many levels.

Obviously I cant support this statement, but I would venture a guess that a large percentage of the population would be doing exactly the same thing if they were calling the shots at a global bank, or Monsanto, or in any positions of power.

Very few will actually admit to this, but thats indicative of the issue I am presenting. "No, I would never do that!" is declared until the individual gets into a position where they actually have the option to put their own greed over others needs.

This problem will persist until our cultural story changes. Until then, we will continue to conveniently overlook our own transgressions while pointing the finger elsewhere.

I would really have to agree with this. Monsanto serves the purpose to bring this collective issue to public consciousness which we then get to battle our SELVES and judge ourselves by judging Monsanto. I see it the same with political leaders - they represent US and that's why we love them or hate them. Same with the tobacco issue. Tobacco has become THE health scapegoat, going to ridiculous lengths to prevent ANY tobacco smoke from making its way anywhere. Meanwhile people get to poison every city with exhaust from cars (which is worse by the way), so tobacco is the scapegoat in that case.

Still, I do think many people, were they Monsanto overnight, really would NOT do what they're doing, but that Monsanto still serves to represent some part of themselves that they refuse to acknowledge. That's why I didn't march yesterday. I figure if I hate GMOs, don't eat them, support local farmers, etc., but spewing anger towards the GMO makers doesn't help. On some level, we have to do something to stop it and we are, but everyone who is militant for some cause, should read your post.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Maybe this video can contribute to this thread ...

Then one will understand why......!

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebtheb

I would really have to agree with this. Monsanto serves the purpose to bring this collective issue to public consciousness which we then get to battle our SELVES and judge ourselves by judging Monsanto. I see it the same with political leaders - they represent US and that's why we love them or hate them. Same with the tobacco issue. Tobacco has become THE health scapegoat, going to ridiculous lengths to prevent ANY tobacco smoke from making its way anywhere. Meanwhile people get to poison every city with exhaust from cars (which is worse by the way), so tobacco is the scapegoat in that case.

Still, I do think many people, were they Monsanto overnight, really would NOT do what they're doing, but that Monsanto still serves to represent some part of themselves that they refuse to acknowledge. That's why I didn't march yesterday. I figure if I hate GMOs, don't eat them, support local farmers, etc., but spewing anger towards the GMO makers doesn't help. On some level, we have to do something to stop it and we are, but everyone who is militant for some cause, should read your post.

It was definitely directed towards a certain mindset!

This is a human problem, and as scary as it may sound, it goes far, far beyond Monsanto. We have some serious problems here, and as technology and destructive capability increase, it only points towards one end for all of us.

I completely agree that someone put in that position overnight would not make such decision the next day. However, it is a process. One which we are *all* susceptible to. It is the basis of the cultural story that we all write unconsciously that drives us towards these things.

I think we are at a stage in development where we should start choosing which story to write. As we do that, these issues with banks, GMO, and so many other things will sort themselves out since we have addressed the root of the problem. Until then, much like a weed, they will continue to sprout season after season.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
reply to post by purplemer

My wife and daughter marched today (I had to work). If I can get their photos uploaded at some point, I'll post them up here.

As promised. Here's my daughter fighting the corporate greed machine -

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serdgiam

It was definitely directed towards a certain mindset!

This is a human problem, and as scary as it may sound, it goes far, far beyond Monsanto. We have some serious problems here, and as technology and destructive capability increase, it only points towards one end for all of us.

I completely agree that someone put in that position overnight would not make such decision the next day. However, it is a process. One which we are *all* susceptible to. It is the basis of the cultural story that we all write unconsciously that drives us towards these things.

I think we are at a stage in development where we should start choosing which story to write. As we do that, these issues with banks, GMO, and so many other things will sort themselves out since we have addressed the root of the problem. Until then, much like a weed, they will continue to sprout season after season.

Well I do see it as a process, but it depends on how exactly you see it. I kind of see society as a whole being played out on a grand stage. Collectively, en masse, humanity is projecting its own image of itself out there and then reacting to it. So as a race, we slowly move forward and one of the elements of the whole "corporations are evil" thing is definitely about humanity's inherent selfishness.

So for me, I actually see progress taking place right before our eyes - indeed, the selfishness issue IS on the table and is being worked out as we speak. I don't think it's necessary for anyone to understand the mechanics of this conversation for humanity to grapple with these issues and move forward. And as far as I can tell, it is moving forward. It's just that it happens very gradually. But on the whole, I personally see that things ARE being sorted out.

Eventually people shine the light back on themselves and that step follows naturally. I know for myself, if there's something about people that consistently gets on my nerves, I eventually stop and say, "Okay, so clearly I am actually displaying this characteristic somewhere or it wouldn't bug me so much."

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Terminator seeds WERE invented by Monsanto,
were employed for a very short time

Got a reference for those two assertions?

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

www.nature.com...

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Monsanto goes "Sustainable"

What can I tell ya, they are in thick with the Agenda 21 Sustainable Development crowd...

www.thenewamerican.com...

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by FyreByrd

Originally posted by alfa1

www.nature.com...

No, you misunderstand.
I was asking have you got a reference for the two assertions of:
- Terminator seeds WERE invented by Monsanto,
- were employed for a very short time

The nature article, while a bit philosophical and pondering a few maybe possibilities for future outcomes, doesnt really address either of those questions.

And I also find it surprising that in a Monsanto hate thread, you'd post a link that says:

In a strange twist of fate, terminator technology has begun to look more appealing to environmentalists. Organic farmers want ways to keep genetically engineered crops from contaminating their fields, and food-safety groups are concerned about contamination of food crops with products from a new generation of crops engineered to produce chemicals or pharmaceuticals.
By ensuring that genetically modified plants survive for only one planting, “that technology would have alleviated a lot of environmental concerns"

...or maybe you just didnt read your own link.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Eventually people shine the light back on themselves and that step follows naturally. I know for myself, if there's something about people that consistently gets on my nerves, I eventually stop and say, "Okay, so clearly I am actually displaying this characteristic somewhere or it wouldn't bug me so much."

That's not really a logical statement. If you find out someone is poisoning you, you are angry because your existence is being threatened, not because of perceived similarities on some level between yourself and the poisoner.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elostone
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

There is a new app for your phone called "buycott" and I highly recommend all that wish to support companies that do not support GMOs to get it. You simply scan the UPC code on products in your market and it will tell you if you are supporting a pro GMO/Monsanto corp.by purchasing the product.
I say let your purchases/money do the talking.

Thanks and yes, I'd heard of that app. The talking to the clerks part is to get the chatter started if it hasn't already. The look of recognition on the clerk's face when I gave the long form of gmo-- unless she forgot about it, she's sure to tell at least one other employee besides her manager, perhaps to someone at home... the lady looking at the cakes who heard me ask may think about it, and so on.

To be frank, I don't want to have to get an app and scan it to see if its good or not.
I want a GMO-free section in the grocery store.
I understand some US states are progressive in their labelling, as well as all those EU countries who BANNED it - but in Canada we are very much owned. Canada sure ain't what she used to be.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join