It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

29 New Jersey Resteraunts caught selling rubbing alcohol

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Beartracker16

It's pure capitalism and worshiping at the alter of profit. It's what happens when you allow huge uncaring corporations displace the mom and pop restaurants.

It's a brave new world!!!

This will affect every TGIF.....GOOD!!!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skada
Or going to your favorite restaurant and having to go to the hospital and ending up blind. Really! That stuff is poison, and people should be going to jail.

Agreed! Sounds like somebody needed a lesson in the differences between isopropyl and ethanol. Stupid people are so dangerous. Usually becasue they're too dumb to realize how stupid they are.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Sal Bompencero (can't write his well known name....but Big "P") from the Soprano's loved TGIFridays. At least, when they paid the ad fee to the writers.

TGIFirdays, as a franchised product, certainly has everything to gain by investigating this fully and putting a stop to it. Franchised companies tend to arm twist their franchise owners as a way to incrementally improve their brand position. Holiday Inn...used to be run of the mill. Now the Expresses are in the same comp set as Hampton Inn (although still not at the same value/rate....getting very close). They have incrementally improved their product by requiring owners to make minor improvements every few years, and increasing brand standards in new builds.

All that aside, however....what has happened in criminal. But in Jersey, criminal tends to rule the roost. LOL, the Soprano's were a Jersey family.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Sounds more and more like John Titor's story about not knowing whats in the food and if you didn't make it yourself don't eat/drink it is becoming more real then we want to admit.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 24-5-2013 by Reevster because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Reevster

why does that have to be a John Titor story. It's just common sense.

Thing is, you can't serve rubbing alcohol. That's gotta be so harsh. And during the distillation process the "heart" is the part you want. Otherwise you could go blind. I admit I didn't read the article, but surely they were cutting the premium stuff with rubbing alcohol and not just serving it straight, right?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beartracker16

The depths that some people will stoop to to bilk a trusting public has reached a new low.
Imagine going to your favorite restaurant and discovering they have been cheating you all along.
I hope those involved are dealt with harshly.
Link:
news.ca.msn.com...

news.ca.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Cheated?

Try POISONED.

These people should have criminal charges filed against them. If they don't, I think we should write some letters. They should not be able to get away with something this horrible. Might as well let them put a little cyanide in the steaks.

Now, to be fair-- if I recall correctly, the antidote for isopropyl alcohol poisoning is actually to administer ethyl alcohol-- aka ethanol, aka plain-old drinking alcohol. So theoretically, if this fake booze contained 25% isopropyl to 75% ethyl, it might have not actually been that bad for you. (Not sure the exact ratio necessary-- this is just an example.)

But still... that's pretty messed up...

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Rubbing alcohol is not methanol, it's isopropanol, so you're not going to go blind drinking it.

It will, however, make you sick, since it metabolizes to acetone on the first pass. Enough of it is lethal, but you'll be sick as a dog before that.

I can see how they got away with putting it in scotch, though, I think I'd have a hard time distinguishing scotch from rubbing alcohol.
edit on 24-5-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

nonsense, the closest popular spirit to rubbing alcohol is definitely vodka.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
All 29 of the establishments were not selling rubbing alcohol, just some. The rest were using dirty water, and putting cheap liquor in premium bottles. Still the ones that were using rubbing alcohol should be charged as its a health risk. Personally I think all of them should have their liquor licenses snatched. I have ate at a few f these places but I don't order alcohol when i'm out. I barely like to eat food that isn't prepared by me lol. As hard as liquor licenses are to get here in jersey and as much as they cost, you would figure that you would do everything to keep them smh

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It's interesting the way the discovery was made. They ordered the drinks neat and covertly took samples. How on earth did they take a sample? Did the sampler take a drink and dump it into a bag in his pants? Did he take a swig and spit it back into a vial? Did he pour some into a pocket flask and say he was keeping it for later?

So for all the rip off drinks, what happened to the authentic booze?

That restaurant management group is rotten. What is sad is that they run more than just the restaurants that got into trouble. Cheaters.
edit on 24-5-2013 by Sandalphon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Wow I read that isopropyl or rubbing alcohol can be lethal in just 8 ounces!

Isopropyl is called a toxic alcohol (along with methanol, and ethylene glycol), although any alcohol can be toxic in large amounts. Isopropyl is twice as toxic as the alcohol in alcoholic beverages. It also has a greater effect on the central nervous system. Isopropyl irritates the GI tract. The lethal dose of isopropyl in humans is estimated as 8.5 oz.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
Wow I read that isopropyl or rubbing alcohol can be lethal in just 8 ounces!

Isopropyl is called a toxic alcohol (along with methanol, and ethylene glycol), although any alcohol can be toxic in large amounts. Isopropyl is twice as toxic as the alcohol in alcoholic beverages. It also has a greater effect on the central nervous system. Isopropyl irritates the GI tract. The lethal dose of isopropyl in humans is estimated as 8.5 oz.

Eight ounces of absolute ethanol is pretty close to lethal as well. We're not talking about an eight ounce drink, we're talking eight ounces of absolute isopropyl alcohol.

That's 16 mixed drinks worth of 100 proof booze, if it was ethanol.

Now, I have done close to that in my yoot, and it was an appalling sight, leading to the theft of a police car on one occasion. But it was a real effort.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beartracker16

The depths that some people will stoop to to bilk a trusting public has reached a new low.
Imagine going to your favorite restaurant and discovering they have been cheating you all along.
I hope those involved are dealt with harshly.
Link:
news.ca.msn.com...

news.ca.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

This is more than cheating, if isopropyl alcohol was found in the samples. I can't see how someone thought they could get away with it, as there are many side effects associated with its consumption. I am curious if this was an outright act where they mixed it in to bottles, or perhaps they were buying incorrectly distilled booze from bootleggers who didn't properly distil it, leaving only trace amounts.

In any case, there are major health implications.

The part where they found restaurants watering down, and/or selling pure water as booze... Doesn't surprise me. I've been to bars before and I drink all my spirits mixed with water, so there's been times where I order, and I can barely taste the booze. Or, I'll buy a premium spirit which is distilled 5-8 times. If you drink that neat, or mixed only with water, you can tell when a regular has been substituted.

Needless to say I've never gone back to the establishments where I taste something funny with their drinks...

The owners here are idiots, they saw green in a short term gain, not realizing the long term consequences will cost them far greater than what they could have hoped to've made in the short term.
edit on 24-5-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLACKOWT
All 29 of the establishments were not selling rubbing alcohol, just some. The rest were using dirty water, and putting cheap liquor in premium bottles.
I've got some news for you about putting cheap liquor in premium bottles.

One of the business school case studies reveals a marketing plan by the makers/bottlers of spirits to increase profits.

They took the same liquor they put in the cheaper bottles, put it in a fancier bottle with a fancier label, and sold both versions side by side at vastly different prices. So even if the restaurant isn't doing this, don't be surprised if the manufacturer is. It's supposed to be a secret, but this is abovetopsecret after all. I'm not saying they all do this, but at least one company did.

But I'm really surprised at the rubbing alcohol. I thought everybody knew that was poisonous, and the penalties for giving people poison should be more serious than what we're seeing.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Beartracker16

Wow! Imagine if you walked out of the place and lit up a cigarette. You could spontaneously combust or something!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I can't believe what some people will do for the almighty dollar. Somebody did a terrible job raising these people. How do you have a good upbringing and resort to this?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The moral of the story is:

If you poison masses of people with an intent to kill, then they will put you underneath the jail.

If you poison masses of people just to make some extra ends it's good business, just don't get caught or we may be forced to up and slap your Rolex-girded wrists.

Now that we've got that cleared up, I'm off to open my own lemonade stand.

Who wants the first glass?

edit on 24-5-2013 by KyrieEleison because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeenAlot
Attempted Murder
Wreckless Endangerment
Conspiracy (13! Franchises?)

Has anyone noticed that what we are ingesting isn't remotely digestable? Horses. Pink Stuff. Rubbing Alcohol. Mmmmmmm

Nonono. Horses are delicious!

Skip to 2:30 and you will hear how good horse is.
See that black convertible? That's my car. I had some of that horse and it was NOMS. Especially when you consider it was 32 years old. Almost as good as elk!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Along that same line I read somewhere where someone ran cheap junk vodka through a brita filter and after 3 or 4 passes it was indistinguishable from top shelf vodka. The filter took out impurities and greatly improved the "quality" of the vodka.

Regardless I always thought vodka tastes like tape head cleaner, but it was a cool study.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Skada

Jail or be forced to consume it themselves. Really
Anyone in a management position in any of these locations should be under indictment.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join