It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

About Avatar Thread Sorry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Ok I wrote a thread a few days ago titled Peoples Annoying Avatars.

I just wanted to say it was not my intention to offend anyone, I did not single any one out to my knowledge, and if I did I am truly sorry for that.
The root cause for me writing that thread, was because an Avatar was so hard on my eyes the night before I could not continue to read, and there have been other times where the Avatar was moving so fast I couldn't read at all.It gave me the exact same difficulty as reading a text wall. Having Attention Deficit Disorder may intensify this for me and I have heard others mention some Avatars have caused them difficulty as well. It is a very low percentage of moving Avatars and non moving Avatars that cause me problems.

Apparently some people took great offence to this, that was not my intention. What was my intention you might ask, my intention was to make people aware that their choice for avatars may cause some people with disabilities such as Attention Deficit Disorder and epilepsy difficulty reading there posts and maybe other disabilities as well that this may affect. It has for me and it is a real problem.

So what you choose for an Avatar may affect a certain percentage of the ATS community in a negative way.It is sad because there are posts I would like to read but can't. But apparently in Firefox if you hit escape before scrolling down disables the moving Avatars and in Google Chrome you need a plug-in to do the same.

So to all those offended sorry you misunderstood my intentions and in no way was it meant as a personal attack on you personalty or your character.

My apology's Enament

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Oops this was suppose to go into general chitchat not rant sorry please move mods thank you.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by enament

I want to apologize to you as well.

I enjoyed the thread and had some fun there but, somewhere along the way, my attempts at friendly teasing moved into the are of becoming a jerky A-hole.

You have the right to express your opinions on ATS and we have the right to disagree but, we should always try to be civil in our discussions and I failed in that respect in that thread and for that, I am sorry.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

If I could give you a row of stars for that I would.

I am in my life a very misunderstood person and I should be use to that by now. I have a tendency to be moody and looking back at how I started that thread I would have toned it down a bit I guess I was ranting a bit.
Thank you and I now have more respect for you now than ever, very admirable of you thanks.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Oh and yes especially sorry to you as well it made me feel bad to have offended you especially.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
While I sympathize with your disability, I think part of the problem was requesting people to stop using annoying (to you) avatars. People shouldn't have to check with someone to see if their avatar is too annoying. Everyone should be able to use whatever avatar they like so long as it falls within the ATS T&C.

Having said that, it would've been far easier to utilize the many options available to you on your end to help you cope with your disability instead of requesting others to change their avatars to suit you.

Originally posted by enament
It is sad because there are posts I would like to read but can't.

But actually, you can. There are several options available to you. Including the ones you mentioned here and in your thread, you can also resize your browser window and scroll the avatars to the left so that you only see the post.

With the many options available to you on your end, there should be no reason to not be able to read and enjoy everyone's posts. There are always going to be people with annoying avatars and there's nothing that will ever change that. And there are those few that deliberately use annoying avatars to do just that: annoy others. Utilizing the options on your end will enable you to read whatever you want without distraction or annoyance.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Everything you said I agree with. I do now have more tools at my disposal since the original thread to aid me.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
No worries here friend. Life is full of things we dont want to see, want to watch, listen to, talk to or deal with. Its life, and certainly...Im sure we all understand your point.

Dont worry....Im sure no offense was taken. And I was going to put a moving GIF image Avatar up....but I will hold off for now! Thanks!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

I wouldn't worry too much. There's a new thread about annoying moving avatars each new month it seems. I admit, sometimes they do garner your attention moreso than they should, but there are means around it, such as using escape to stall them, or disabling avatars altogether. Personally I like to see people's avatars, as myself and others have had a hand in creating many of the avatars on the board today. You see someone's av and think "hey that's my work!" It's kinda cool.

Another way (if you are a little tech savvy) is to go into internet options and disable animations. I do this sometimes with sites that have those annoying flashing "100,000th visitor!" banners that are just irritating.
edit on 24/5/2013 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

edit on 24-5-2013 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

top topics

join