It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"This Is Your Warning", From NOAA Administrator

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah
Let's not get excited or freaked yet, we still don't know precisely how the Bermuda High is going to look, it just depends on where it parks itself & how strong it is.

Generally centered over the Western Atlantic, the Bermuda High is one of the main reasons Florida has enjoyed a record seven seasons without any hurricane strikes, either bouncing storms to the south or allowing them to curve north.

On the other hand, it was the major force that pushed Hurricanes Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne toward Florida in 2004 and Hurricanes Dennis, Katrina and Rita toward the state in 2005.

When it’s strong, the Bermuda High creates an enormous clockwise wind circulation over the ocean, which pushes storms to the west or northwest in this general direction. But where it’s centered has a crucial bearing on where, specifically, storms go, as they tend to churn along the system’s outer edges.

For instance, last year Hurricane Leslie hugged the system’s western perimeter, curved north and hit Newfoundland, Canada. Hurricane Isaac, meanwhile, followed the edge into the Gulf of Mexico and ultimately into Louisiana.

www.orlandosentinel.com...
More info on the Bermuda High: www.wunderground.com...

Couple that with the inability to predict long-term what the lows and atmospheric winds are going to do & how they'll effect storms, it could be a season of a lot of storms, but few, if any, landfalls. Or, it could be another Charley year with one landfall after another, after another, after another.

Just get your hurricane supplies in order, and assume the wait & see approach like normal

Remember....... a BERMUDA LOW IS NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH a MEXICAN HIGH

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Thanks for the info. While I live in a state where I won't have to worry, I now have one more thing to worry about in July!!!
A) First time flying
B) Traveling to Florida, where I will have to worry about a hurricane!
Yes, I'm a big chicken.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
While extremely unlikely, I hope the ocean surface temperature never reaches 122 degrees fahrenheit in my lifetime, because then we'd be in for a whole world of hurt if that ever happens.

I just hope they all stay out in the ocean this season. I've already been through Irene and Sandy.
edit on 24-5-2013 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Junkheap

OMG!! Bless your heart! I hope they miss you, if we get any more hitting land.

I would be interested in hearing your experience with these monster storms, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Thanks for the info. While I live in a state where I won't have to worry, I now have one more thing to worry about in July!!!
A) First time flying
B) Traveling to Florida, where I will have to worry about a hurricane!
Yes, I'm a big chicken.

You're coming to FL in July? Ouch. It's not the hurricanes you have to worry about then, it's the horrific heat & humidity. Pack breathable clothes, light colors, and don't do too much outdoors stuff in one shot. It's easy to overdo it & call it a day sick as a dog. Our heat eats tourists & new transplants for lunch in summer.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I can vouch for that! I moved in with my Aunt for the summer back in the late seventies, and I couldn't bare to step outside! I have never been so miserable in my life! And those flies that bite! OMG, I was so happy to get back home to my Tennessee mountains! :-)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Double Post.
edit on 5/24/2013 by sled735 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuch4another
reply to post by sulaw

"Barry" scares me...

The name Barry reminds me of, "Barry the Chopper" from Fullmetal Alchemist.

Barry scares the crap out of me.

Lets hope this year won't be as bad as they say.

All we can do is hope.

Love and Light

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I'm bumping this thread because I think that it's important that people understand what has the potential to happen this season. Thank you for the thread...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
Who the heck comes up with these ridiculous names...
They gotta pull'm out of a hat... Right?

They use a medley of names that are identifiable in the areas where the storms affect. In this case the Atlantic basin, so while Humberto might not be so popular of a name in North America, it probably is in eastern South America.

I'm sure someone in South America is saying the same thing, "Wendy, what kind of name is that?!"

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join