It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

gun etiquette

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

tragic accident? mistake?
seems careless to me, i'm still trying to picture how this could happen.

Unfamiliarity. A double barrel shotgun is loaded from a "cracked open" position. The stock is under your arm and the barrels pointing at the ground. You drop in two shells, reach forward and grab the fore grip, swinging the barrels up until the gun locks. At that point the barrels come up level. If one's finger is on one of the triggers inside the trigger guard, only a slight bit of pressure will be needed to pull the trigger when the breech locks. The trigger finger should be nowhere near the guard when locking the breech. If you own one try it, just don't use live shells. Put your finger on the trigger as you close the breech.

Keep your finger outside the trigger guard when working any action. Otherwise you are asking for trouble. Always keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction when chambering.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Keep your finger outside the trigger guard when working any action

I simply ALWAYS do this until I am ready to actually take a shot at something.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by intrptr

Keep your finger outside the trigger guard when working any action

I simply ALWAYS do this until I am ready to actually take a shot at something.

Well yah. I think I was directing that as to how that particular accident occurred.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by shuck
From the UK and it appears to me there are few people that should have guns. Guns are very dangerous and from what I understand of the good ole USA any lunatic can have one.

There should be for anyone that wants a gun a psychological test and profiling, then training in firearms and use.
Thereafter yearly of the above.

Gun etiquete? What the hell is that? The safe use of a firearm is more appropriate.

Civilians should not have firearms they are downright dangerous and accidents happen. Guns should be banned.
I know this may upset the Yanks but we in the UK haven't done that bad with regards to firearms in comparison.

Trained in the use of firearms and don't like them.

Is this really the venue for your off topic posts? You will never understand just how important the right to defend yourself is until it is really needed.

TPTB have really done a great job with fear and propaganda on the European mind. I could list off all the infringements on your personal rights in the UK but whats the point. Apathy and the progressive mindset are to deeply rooted in the soul of what was I believe some of the strongest minded people on the planet.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Seeing as there are so many rules here and a lot of stupid people it would be far more sensible for people to have to pass some sort of test of using a gun before being allowed to own one. Similarly another test for owning a rifle. in other words be licensed.

Why do you need a driving license to drive a car but not a license to shoot someone?

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ispyed
Seeing as there are so many rules here and a lot of stupid people it would be far more sensible for people to have to pass some sort of test of using a gun before being allowed to own one. Similarly another test for owning a rifle. in other words be licensed.

Why do you need a driving license to drive a car but not a license to shoot someone?

All of the training and testing in the world doesn't equal an effective person. Many friendly fire incidents occur in the military and yet they have all of the training in the world. Military personel have also turned their weapons on their own intentionally. The military has some of the most stringent laws when it comes to background checks, weapon storage, and even individual qualifications for use of different weapons as well as only being able to carry a weapon loaded or not during very specific times. Yet for some reason people keep thinking that everyone needs more laws and stiffer background checks and thorough training and now some calling for licensure... It doesn't work. People with malintent will always find a way. People will make mistakes that may or may not affect others. We can only hope for the best as long as there is a human element involved.

You refference drivers licenses but yet you seem to fail to make the part of the equation of automobile accidents which far outweigh firearm deaths accidental or not every year....

You people have got to start thinking more critically and less emotionally. Emotional thinking equals irational thinking, it clouds your mind and frees it from logic.
edit on 25-5-2013 by LeaderOfProgress because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
There are ONLY four simple rules, no biggie:

1 Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
2 Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
3 Keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to fire.
4 Know your target and what lies beyond.

Forget the safety: some pistols don't have safeties, like Sig P229. Finger control is your ultimate safety, available on all weapons

I will add to that my personal rule: even if I am alone, and have just cleared the weapon, if that gun leaves my sight for even a moment like going to the head, I assume evil gremlins have reloaded and cocked it and clear it again before proceeding with cleaning or maintenance.
edit on 27-5-2013 by setibuddies because: spelling

edit on 27-5-2013 by setibuddies because: added

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by setibuddies

My shotgun, and my revolvers don't have safeties on them. Only my clipped weapons do. (and even then, best to assume the safety isn't on, as there are a myriad of ways it could get turned off).

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Fossil creek canyon was a neat place and beautiful. It's closed off now and although you may hike down there you can no longer drive down.

I live roughly 15 miles from there.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
  1. Always treat a gun as though it is loaded.
  2. Never point a gun towards anything you do not intend to kill.
  3. Only kill for food or self-protection.

I control 90 acres of land here (part of it is my sister's, but we treat it as one place since she lives out of town), about 80 acres of which is prime hunting land. Three people have permission to hunt on it: myself, my brother-in-law, and my cousin. It's not because we don't want people to have the deer or squirrels; it's because people today can't be trusted with a gun.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Never ever use your riflescope as binoculars.

Some years back, while stillhunting, I slowly moved out of a stand of scrubpine, looked to my left, and saw another hunter aiming down his sights, right at me. I dropped, he thankfully lifted. I let him know I didn't appreciate being targeted.

Also, never ever aim, or worse, shoot, at a sound.

As well as all the previous rules, already stated.

I'd like to say it's all common sense. Yet there is a severe lack of common sense among gunowners, as the accident stats attest to.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Are you saying they SHOULD issue a license to shoot someone?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

This is actually one of my pet peeves. You do not, in any state of the union, need a license to buy, own, or operate a car.
You only need a license to operate a car on publicly owned or operated roadways laned for traffic.
A seven year old can, assuming he can afford it, drive his own mustang GT around his front yard all day without breaking any laws.
There are many arguments against private ownership of weapons to be made, and I'll disagree with them on their own merits, but this one is demonstrably false.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join