It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just One Thing That's Wrong With Our Schools Today

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

ATS….this is what’s wrong with our society today, IMO. When I was in school, in the 80s-early 90s, you had to EARN your grades, certificates, prizes. They weren’t handed out like candy. There were no rewards for just showing up…and you know what? When you actually got an award, it meant something. You knew it was because you worked your butt off, that you outperformed everyone else….it was special. And it made you more determined than ever to strive for that award next year.

You do realise that many folks are cynical and sceptical of the education system itself just like they are about everything else in world some of us actually believe in the nwo thing (seriously) so maybe their parents do not even trust the system thus why some go to the extreme of home schooling.
Teachers tutors and lecturers also fallible they not all dedicated hardworking mentors that you & your institution would have us all believe. I have had some shocking teachers and university lecturers in my time also.
It is also highly possible for teacher to show favouritism toward some students over others for a whole variety of reasons.Are you trying to say this never clouds their judgement.
Many things depend on the curriculum of the said school or college for example obviously a religious private school will rate bible studies as an important of their curricula whereas most secular schools colleges will not is the best example of what I mean.

Some studies,courses and their content are not worth getting up tight about because they are completely impractical in the world of industry anyway. So my point maybe its no big deal if the student is lazy or flunked them because maybe it is merely important to the college curricula going through its routine motions than any Industrial application.
Some colleges and universities very slow to adapt or adopt accredited standards inline with education accreditation authorities some of the teachers even slower to implement them.
My point this not a perfect world and this is a complexed problem their two sides to this issue.
The whole idea of meritocracy in our system has always been rigged anyway those the most $$ and best social networks never use merit.
They use who they know to take shortcuts this becomes most obvious at University level where group think is encouraged via group work assignments rather insisting every student simply do their own assignment. In my view the idea of group work is for the lazy & weak & only leads to distraction and cheating yet so many colleges and universities encourage just that.
I mean when one does an exam they do so on their own so should assignments be any different.
Group work is for the mentally weak in my view would be best off not encouraged.

edit on 28-5-2013 by Theprimordialocker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Welcome to the future of the United States of America. Where the dumbest goofballs and yahoos can become heroes and celebrated. While hard working people and average Joe's are frowned upon. Crazy world we live in today.

The way its always been those families with a good trust fund reward their lazy sons and daughters those of lesser financial means may not even see the inside of lecture theatre such is capitalism especially the more libertarian varities which americans seem to love.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Every parent (especially of kindergartners) is SO convinced their child is somehow SO SPECIAL to the whole world. 10 to 1 says it was this parent's first and only kid.

How else should a parent feel about their own flesh and blood? Perhaps you would be happy with eugenics and euthanasia of those you deem unworthy of your master race!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theprimordialocker
reply to post by Gazrok

Every parent (especially of kindergartners) is SO convinced their child is somehow SO SPECIAL to the whole world. 10 to 1 says it was this parent's first and only kid.

How else should a parent feel about their own flesh and blood? Perhaps you would be happy with eugenics and euthanasia of those you deem unworthy of your master race!

I think you might have misunderstood Gazrok's comment. He was simply saying that some parents have an unrealistic expectation that their child is going to always be at the top of the game, always winning, always the best at everything. Believe it or not, there are a lot of parents who do act this way.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

You do realise that many folks are cynical and sceptical of the education system itself just like they are about everything else in world some of us actually believe in the nwo thing (seriously) so maybe their parents do not even trust the system thus why some go to the extreme of home schooling.

Yes, I completely understand this. However, not to be to judgemental, but these parents truly don't seem to care that much about their child's education. They never come to parent-teacher conferences, never make the child do homework, never help their child at home. And I'm only talking about one or two parents, not all the parents. Most parents do care greatly and want to help their kids.

Teachers tutors and lecturers also fallible they not all dedicated hardworking mentors that you & your institution would have us all believe. I have had some shocking teachers and university lecturers in my time also.
It is also highly possible for teacher to show favouritism toward some students over others for a whole variety of reasons.Are you trying to say this never clouds their judgement.

Not at all. There are some horrible teachers out there, just as their are horrible doctors, lawyers, accountants, and Walmart employees. To say otherwise is absurd.

Some studies,courses and their content are not worth getting up tight about because they are completely impractical in the world of industry anyway. So my point maybe its no big deal if the student is lazy or flunked them because maybe it is merely important to the college curricula going through its routine motions than any Industrial application.
Some colleges and universities very slow to adapt or adopt accredited standards inline with education accreditation authorities some of the teachers even slower to implement them.
My point this not a perfect world and this is a complexed problem their two sides to this issue.
The whole idea of meritocracy in our system has always been rigged anyway those the most $$ and best social networks never use merit.
They use who they know to take shortcuts this becomes most obvious at University level where group think is encouraged via group work assignments rather insisting every student simply do their own assignment. In my view the idea of group work is for the lazy & weak & only leads to distraction and cheating yet so many colleges and universities encourage just that.
I mean when one does an exam they do so on their own so should assignments be any different.
Group work is for the mentally weak in my view would be best off not encouraged.

While all this may be true, I teach first grade. Its a little different in an elementary school.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

I think you might have misunderstood Gazrok's comment. He was simply saying that some parents have an unrealistic expectation that their child is going to always be at the top of the game, always winning, always the best at everything. Believe it or not, there are a lot of parents who do act this way.

The way both of you are coming across is that you are both against equality of oppertunity & pocking fun at those with a few problems, e.g. learning disabilities, ADHD, aspergers, dyslexia whatever very callous.
While i would agree it is impossible to guarantee equality of outcome in education it is
is completely possible to aim for equality of oppertunity and a noble ideal worth aiming for those with any sense of social justice.
However it is possible you are both rabid ivy league right wingers in that case pay no heed.
Both of you would be an example of why the US has such inequality problems.
I simply wish you,re multinat corps and merchant banks wouldnt spread their ultra capitalist ideological poison to the rest of the world=GFC we were going very well until your economic rationalist crap hit down under.

edit on 30-5-2013 by Theprimordialocker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theprimordialocker

The way both of you are coming across is that you are both against equality of oppertunity & pocking fun at those with a few problems, e.g. learning disabilities, ADHD, aspergers, dyslexia whatever very callous.
While i would agree it is impossible to guarantee equality of outcome in education it is
is completely possible to aim for equality of oppertunity and a noble ideal worth aiming for those with any sense of social justice.
However it is possible you are both rabid ivy league right wingers in that case pay no heed.
Both of you would be an example of why the US has such inequality problems.
I simply wish you,re multinat corps and merchant banks wouldnt spread their ultra capitalist ideological poison to the rest of the world=GFC we were going very well until your economic rationalist crap hit down under.

edit on 30-5-2013 by Theprimordialocker because: (no reason given)

With respect, you are way off base.

My son is a special needs child, with multiple issues. I'm not poking fun at anyone who deals with special needs, whether the individual or the parent. And I've taught special education classes....it is my FIRM belief that all children are capable of learning. No one here is denying anyone the right to a fair and fulfilling education. Where did you get that idea?

What I'm complaining about is the mindset that everyone deserves a medal just for showing up. This mindset is absurd. People get ahead in life by hard work and determination, and rewarding mediocrity just fools people into believing they're doing their best. Then they get in the real world and suddenly realize that mediocre doesn't cut it.

What this has to do with the rest of your spiel concerning corporate banks is beyond me.
edit on 30-5-2013 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

What I'm complaining about is the mindset that everyone deserves a medal just for showing up. This mindset is absurd. People get ahead in life by hard work and determination, and rewarding mediocrity just fools people into believing they're doing their best. Then they get in the real world and suddenly realize that mediocre doesn't cut it.

I have news for you mediocrity does cut it and is in fact what the education system is about learning like parrot. At present the parrots in the west are told to spend the majority of their lives apologising for their hetrosexuality, and just for being white & male one apologises for the whole idea of their existence many pple will make good cogs in rainbow colored liberal machine but few will break any molds and be anything more than medicore and yes mediocre therefore cuts it in every way.
Very few pple come with innovations in western nations any more this has shifted to asia where they do not care for political correctness and minority quotas in education e.g japan for example is a very racially homogenous nations plus traditional(not much care for gay rights or feminism there). Colleges also encourage group think(more of an issue for typical young students & on campus study)
By the way who do you think endorses school and college curricula? As far as left brain subjects goes e.g maths, science, engineering etc what the hell does pro gay rights and feminism, agenda in so many unis have to do with anything.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Theprimordialocker

Don't you want to change this? I do....and I'm trying my damnedest to do so.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I think the problem is that schools give out rewards at all. If a kid got all A's and B's...that is their reward. If a kid came to school everyday, they got more instruction than other kids...that is their reward. If a kid has improved a lot over the school year...that is their reward.

I actually disagree with reward programs like this in school, because education shouldn't be a competition. Rewards, medals, trophies in sports...I'm all for. But to bring rewards into an education setting, you are not helping the kids that get the rewards...they have already recieved their reward by doing good and learning something...but you are damaging kids who didn't win a reward for not being able to understand a concept or may have a weak immune system. I personally would like to see no rewards in school, especially for younger grades which it sounds like you are in.

Don't get me started on attendance...that reward is soley for the school and their funding.

EDIT: You just said you teach first grade...I think public "awards" at this age is quite frankly disgusting. So now, not only does the kid who struggle to read or can't grasp a math concept quite yet already feel bad because they know their friends understand it...but now they get to watch their teacher, who at that age they look to as a role model, single out kids for being better than them. Save the awards for sports and for older kids who have the mental maturity to understand that someone getting an award doesn't mean they are less of a person.
edit on 10-6-2013 by firemonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Don't you want to change this? I do....and I'm trying my damnedest to do so.

You wont do so from within the education system, you are part of! Seems you made your choice!
btw i feel you are big on womens rights i care little for too much feminism women have all the rights they need right now!.

edit on 14-6-2013 by Theprimordialocker because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join