It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Forum Icons? Really? They're All Grey.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I dont get it because at the recent posts section they are color grouped but on the main forum section they are grey ? I'm guessing some script work did go wrong

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
These folks don't look like they're about to chit chat... generally or otherwise

Oh.. i thought that was the dating section

edit on 23-5-2013 by Dutcheagle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I don't like it.

Please change it back.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Yeah, these absolutely blow. And there's a whole lot more that should be done with this site before fiddling with things as trivial as the board icons.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

And there's a whole lot more that should be done with this site before fiddling with things as trivial as the board icons.
Resizing an entire page while live it is not an easy task.

For certain reasons.

I mean for the future.

For a beautiful future.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I think there's too much grey having the icons and forum names all in the same color on this page.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If changing the color of the icons is increasing the file size too much, how about playing with the text color?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Why not just create a different style for mobile users? Detect their settings and use stylesheets accordingly? That way you get best of both worlds, your mobile users are happy, your computer users who larger display sizes are happy...?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
They're not all grey, and they are far better than the last set that was used! lol
I like this much better.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I noticed a massive improvement on my smartphone (android, generation old) in the time to render the recent posts page.

I appreciate it. ATS was damn near useless due to load time in a less than 3G network area (which is where I am 90% of the time). I can actually keep up with ATS at work again.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The change is nice.... for a change.

What I really wanted to say was 2 of the icons are.... odd?

Diseases and Pandemics, Is that a blob? Maybe instead a syringe or a stethoscope, or a medical cross?

And what is the General Conspiracies icon? A grumpy old man face? It is just a bit too squiggly to make out, and juxtaposed against the more realistic New World Order face below, it just doesn't pop. Maybe a tinfoil hat guy, or a trio (or more) of question marks fanning from one center dot.

I thought you might appreciate some ideas instead of just criticism, even if my ideas stink.

That said, someone worked their tail off on this and it shows. Good, job! I particularly love the Survival icon, and the 2012 US Elections icon. Awesomeness. Pure awesomeness

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by amarenell

Some of the icons are placeholders until I come up with something better, General Conspiracies (Nixon) being one of those.

Also, they were all originally designed to be dark on a light background. Some don't look as nice as they should in the current color scheme. Oops... a hint at the new site style/design.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
And it sucks that they're all grey. Who came up with that!? Color would help. Why fix it if it's not broken.

edit on 5/23/2013 by this_is_who_we_are because: morons

edit on 5/23/2013 by this_is_who_we_are because: (no reason given)

Well, I think the fields for the threads got bigger maybe. Lots of websites are gettin' bigger.

Probably for tablets. They're slowly taking over the market. Same thing is happening with games, but on consoles. Pretty soon there won't be any games exclusively made for PC's. This wouldn't be so bad if the overall design of the games wasn't so heavily impacted by it, but it's.

Any software maker wanting a large audience will shoot for the biggest bang.

Let me just clarify... The tabletization of the web and popular software is not without its consequences and annoyances. I am starting to get more than a little irritated.

Bigger buttons and bigger fonts, more whitespace, more colors and more (large-ish) images. Bleh.
edit on 23-5-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jefwane
I noticed a massive improvement on my smartphone (android, generation old) in the time to render the recent posts page.

I appreciate it. ATS was damn near useless due to load time in a less than 3G network area (which is where I am 90% of the time). I can actually keep up with ATS at work again.

Why was it so slow???

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
Why was it so slow???

There are two factors that slow down page loading:
1) file sizes
2) the number of unique HTTP requests

While each icon shown in Recent Posts was only about 3k, there could be as many as 90+ unique icons (270k total) each with a unique HTTP request. For broadband desktop users, not such a big deal -- but still often noticeable. For mobile users, and those on slower connections, a huge difference.

Because now, all those icons are in one file -- one HTTP request -- which is 110k for all 110+ icons. We use a CSS technique to show only one icon in the Recent Posts listing. Here's the file...

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dutcheagle

Oh.. i thought that was the dating section

General Chit Chat is the dating section.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
reply to post by amarenell

Some of the icons are placeholders until I come up with something better, General Conspiracies (Nixon) being one of those.

Also, they were all originally designed to be dark on a light background. Some don't look as nice as they should in the current color scheme. Oops... a hint at the new site style/design.

Oh crap....

Please don't say you're going with a brighter lighter background with black text. I love that ATS has a dark background with white text. It's a thousand times easier on the eyes than those other crappy sites (*cough* GLP *cough*) with retina burning backgrounds.

Keep ATS unique in all her dark glory !

Pretty please ?

[insert batting eyelashes here]

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I love it ! the Icons I could not care less about but the formatting is better.
I don't know what you did but I don't have overlapping icons & text anymore on the forum page

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by jonnywhite
Why was it so slow???

There are two factors that slow down page loading:
1) file sizes
2) the number of unique HTTP requests

While each icon shown in Recent Posts was only about 3k, there could be as many as 90+ unique icons (270k total) each with a unique HTTP request. For broadband desktop users, not such a big deal -- but still often noticeable. For mobile users, and those on slower connections, a huge difference.

Because now, all those icons are in one file -- one HTTP request -- which is 110k for all 110+ icons. We use a CSS technique to show only one icon in the Recent Posts listing. Here's the file...

Isn't it a idea to resize those icons so they use less file size, if u have around 90 icons and you resize them that could save allot.If you don't have the tools i would love to help.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I amm really disappointed in the new icon layout.
spacing
There are a few issues at play that make me really dislike the choice;

~ 1 ~

It is very generic in nature. It takes away the refinement provided by the former icon design. The color icons served as a visual aid, helping to identify the various forums with just a glance.
The biggest downside of the generic nature, in my opinion, is the fact that ATS now looks like many other forums/proboards.
The site design/layout is what separated ATS from all the other forums/proboards. ATS had the feel of a really professional website. It was way above and beyond the design/layout of the other 'Alternative Topic' websites, like GLP, and various other amatuer 'proboards' forums.
I can honestly say, without question or doubt, that the unique ATS design is the #1 reason I opened an account here and visit daily. I don't always have a lot of 'me time' and, because I am a fan of conspiracy theory and alternative debate, I chose ATS as the primary outlet to learn about and discuss those things.
Although ATS remains unique, it is now much more comparable to the other 'Alternative News Media' outlets mentioned above.

~ 2 ~

I have poor vision, compounded by mild color blindness. The fact that the icons are now the same color and relatively the same size makes it much much more difficult for me to navigate the site and the 'Forum Table of Contents' page.

~ 3 ~

Lastly, in order and of importance, the icons are simply just bad looking in general.

Is there anyway to install a colored line under each icon, to help differntiate them, instead of coloring the whole icon [Color=orange]?

*(Go Vols!!!) ...

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I gotta ask, why is breaking news white? should breaking be the most bright color of them all? Really, the new icons are firstly very American oriented for a site that gets visited by Europeans and Asians also. And the lack of contrast is disturbing.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The new icons suck.
And they suck really bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join