It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Independent Scotland?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
the mind games of the goverment have been in full swing according to my mother .

our local rag was saying that we will no longer get t.v from england w.t.f .

and phone calls etc will cost much more ? it just shows how scared they are by all this .

the population of scotland is about 5.5 million people but take away all the people that were not born or have not localised which is by local tradition about 10 years .

that 5 million now goes to about 3 million if that only people who have been in the country for 10 years should get a vote on this .

on such a important point why not let the whole of the u.k have a vote on it as there are as many scots in england as in scotland

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by geobro
the mind games of the goverment have been in full swing according to my mother .

and phone calls etc will cost much more ? it just shows how scared they are by all this .

the population of scotland is about 5.5 million people but take away all the people that were not born or have not localised which is by local tradition about 10 years .

that 5 million now goes to about 3 million if that only people who have been in the country for 10 years should get a vote on this .

on such a important point why not let the whole of the u.k have a vote on it as there are as many scots in england as in scotland

Why would you get British TV? You wont be British any more and would therefore have no entitlement to the British Broadcasting Corporation content. There would be no terrestrial BBC in an independent Scotland and no I-player either. Although there would be some transitional period I'd imagine where the broadcasts continued while a smaller budgeted Scottish only station was organised, probably lasting a few years.

Although I don't see it affecting Satellite channel availability.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Yeah, I've heard all the scare stories....
Vote yes in 2014 and you can kiss goodbye to Yorkshire pudding etc..

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shiloh7
What would Scotland do about the Scottish MP's that have seats in the London Parliament?

Eh, they will become Unemployed....no great loss really.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

Originally posted by geobro

Why would you get British TV? You wont be British any more and would therefore have no entitlement to the British Broadcasting Corporation content. There would be no terrestrial BBC in an independent Scotland and no I-player either. Although there would be some transitional period I'd imagine where the broadcasts continued while a smaller budgeted Scottish only station was organised, probably lasting a few years.

Thank god. I detest paying roughly £150 a year for complete crap that the BBC calls television. Satellite TV is the way forward. I would love to see a Scottish broadcaster establish themselves with Scottish TV and Scottish News.

The "Better Together" campaign is flat on its face and the vote will go to YES and i will be glad of it. I want the best for my children and in 10-15 years time once we are a solid independent country that has bedded into itself, we will have a world leading economy and oil and energy sectors.

People in Scotland need to embrace change and get their heads out of the Westminster fear grip that is British politics. Scotland deserves better, your children deserve better.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Here, Here JRMcLeod......

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

The "Better Together" campaign is flat on its face and the vote will go to YES and i will be glad of it. I want the best for my children and in 10-15 years time once we are a solid independent country that has bedded into itself, we will have a world leading economy and oil and energy sectors. People in Scotland need to embrace change and get their heads out of the Westminster fear grip that is British politics. Scotland deserves better, your children deserve better.

Be careful what you wish for, all you YES voters.

I predict a strong 'no' vote due to the sheer uncertainty of how much and what change will occur following independence.

I do hope Scotland gets what the majority of its citizens want but I fear people are dreaming of a fantasy that could turn into a nightmare.

I'm certainly no economist, those that are have conflicting projections of how Scotland will do economically.

Just one point, if the people of England demanded a vote to eject Scotland out of the UK due to Scottish MP's meddling in English matters or based on economic advantages following a separation for the English from the Scottish, how would that make you feel towards the English? A little bitter and greedy perhaps?

We are 'better off together' imo.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I am still firmly in the "Better Together" camp but ultimately, whatever Scotland decides, good look to them.

I do find the results interesting from serving Scottish soldiers when asked about independence though. Over 2 thirds stated they would not want to be part of an Independent Scottish Armed Forces. Basically, they believe it would be a glorified Border Agency and don't want to be part of it, stating they would either leave the military entirely or they would transfer to UK Armed Forces instead.

I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing (after all, why would Scotland need an aggressive Armed Forces). I did find it interesting though..........

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This cant be true now can it...I mean it's a positive thing for Scotland so surely the media wouldn't print this...

Say YES in 2014 and reap the rewards of a Onwards and Upwards Independent Scotland.

www.eveningtimes.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
This cant be true now can it...I mean it's a positive thing for Scotland so surely the media wouldn't print this...

Say YES in 2014 and reap the rewards of a Onwards and Upwards Independent Scotland.

www.eveningtimes.co.uk...

On a point of balance for the international viewers, should make it clear the article was written by the 2nd in command of the Scottish National Party Nicola Sturgeon presenting a one sided guest column in that newspaper.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

Ha Ha starred you for that wink.

I find Cameron a laugh over this. He is so busy telling the Scots that we all have something special etc and going on about unity and all the things that Scotland will notice AND he forgets he is actually the English PM sitting in the parliament some of us English would like to have as our own assembly. Yet another sign of the way he ignores the English, as though the biggest landmass and population that make up the UK doesn't exist.

He is so far out of touch with the English public he might as well be sitting on Pluto.

I will also repeat a point I made earlier, that the Queen will never give up her Scottish castles etc so I would be amazed if Scotloand will ever get free all the time there is a crown in England - unless, guess what, perhaps you would like a Scottish Royalty and would like our Coberg whatevers for your Royalty. They have just been given 47million sterling so they come well heeled but not with the Crown jewels and all the other goodies they hold (of course just protecting the wealth of the nation as they do).

I think its an excellent idea because think of the saving on the EU bill without the Scottish included, our crippling contributations would go right down. Seriously if the Scots want to leave then good luck.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I think both sides are guilty of exaggerating and looking at things through rose tinted glasses.

What I will say is that Alex Salmond is the best possible advertisement for the 'No' campaign, and Nicola Sturgeon is not much better.
I literally cringe every time I see or hear him.

I have nothing but contempt and disgust for Cameron, Miliband, Clegg et al but Salmond is the worst possible representative Scotland could possibly have - his desperate attention seeking and increasingly erratic and baffling explanations of his policies are truly embarrassing.

I recognise that a 'Yes' vote is not a vote for SNP - but many people don't see that and Salmond is very much the public face of the independence movement.

Anyone who believes that an independent Scotland is going to be some sort of idyllic land of milk and honey and free from the same set of amoral and corrupt scumbags who govern the UK at present really is either incredibly naïve or just plain dumb.

I have no idea how successful an independent Scotland would be, but of one thing I am certain; there will be a lot of hard years ahead with many uncomfortable and unsavoury decisions to make, and all without the convenient scapegoat of England and the rest of the UK.

Conversely those who predict failure for a fledgling independent nature seem to ignore the many unquestionable attributes that the Scottish people have in abundance and the opportunity a 'Yes' vote may offer for a 'new beginning'.

And Cameron is possibly the best advertisement for the 'Yes' campaign.
He's a pompous arsehole who has nothing in common with the vast majority of the Scottish people, (nor with the other constituent parts of the UK but I guess that's another discussion), and certainly doesn't have their best interests at heart.

A cautionary word to the English people who state they would be glad to see the back of Scotland; you do realise that it would consign the rest of the UK to an almost guaranteed permanent Tory government - imagine the policies they would impose on us if they know that they will be re-elected every single time.
I dread to think what they would do the North East.

Personally I feel we have a better chance of effecting positive change standing together and concentrating on the many things that unite us rather than the few things that divide.

Scotland will vote as Scotland see's fit - as is only right.

But the one thing that is as clear as day to me is that no matter what the vote we need to recognise that simply maintaining the status quo is unacceptable.
We need to recognise that all the nations and regions that constitute the UK need to have an increased say and influence over the matters that affect them directly.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Well said Freeborn...well, nearly...Alex might be an embarrassment, but he's a bloody good speaker and a good Politician and a Good person with Scotland's future at heart....
I have been waiting for the Yes Campaign to up the anti for a while now...Alex must be keeping his powder dry for nearer the time and when that time comes the Scottish and English public will sit up and take notice what this and Previous UK governments have been up to.

The Main stream Media have hidden too much for too long and it's time the real Facts and figures came out,
Our welfare state, our NHS...remember them, are being systematically sold off to private enterprise, (600 parts of the NHS already privatised, stealthily, behind our backs) and it's being done in the sneakiest manner possible...with a Independent Scotland at least we have a chance to stop them in there tracks.

8/10 Million Unemployed.....that's the real Numbers, and it's growing and will continue to grow.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

1.They have this its called STV.
2.If Scottish people want to watch the BBC who's going to stop them? T.V police?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by EA006

No, the BBC channels just wont be terrestrially broadcast north of the border.

Although as I said there would no doubt be some period of overlap until the new independent Scottish equivalent took over and I dont see satellite availability being affected.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

No Great loss...if we wanted we could always watch it on the tinternet for free.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

People will be able to pick it some-how.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
No need to rally the clan just yet

Can wait before we start burning crosses on the royal doorstop

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join