It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA funds 3-D printed pizza project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
www.space.com...

This is way cool. It seems that NASA is funding research into 3-D printed food for its Astronauts for extended stays and journeys into Space; such as MARS. The idea is to have dry ingredients in cartridges then mix them with water from another cartridge to create the food(s). Having dry ingredients vastly increases the shelf life of food(s) and makes sustaining humans in Space or on other planets more of a possibility.

Beyond that, I think 3-D printing can be a real game changer and it could change the way things are done in this world. Beyond guns, cars, and food, the applications are limitless as there can be a move to start printing prosthetic limbs for athletes or veterans, 3-D print simple housing for the homeless, and on and on. It could completely change manufacturing. What other applications can be thought of by the ATS community? Let's see what we can come up with.

edit on 22-5-2013 by lostbook because: forgot to post link

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

WHere is the article?

I find it a bit funny that they would try to 3D copy pizza before healthy food!!

An apple would have been nice also, and probably easier to copy imo!

It does show promise for other things as you said though.
edit on 22-5-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

Added link to article.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

thanks for the link!

S+F for a nice find!!

I still think that pizza isn't the ideal for a first attempt with food, but who knows? It might actually work and save a few starving people on this earth!

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

A solution to world hunger is listed as one of the possibilities for this new development. I keep thinking of Artificial Intelligence, once someone figures out how to 3-D print sensors/ nodes for electronics we'll be on the way to printing robots or cyborgs; think real life Terminator(s). This could be a real game changer.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

put water into 1 cartridge,bisquick in another,tomato sauce..you got the pizza.Forgot the cheese whiz.Its not a star trek replicator,sorry

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostbook
reply to post by Teye22

A solution to world hunger is listed as one of the possibilities for this new development. I keep thinking of Artificial Intelligence, once someone figures out how to 3-D print sensors/ nodes for electronics we'll be on the way to printing robots or cyborgs; think real life Terminator(s). This could be a real game changer.

OMG!

I didn't think of that option! that is a bit scary I must say. But maybe I watch to many movies!

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

I think that it would be harder with an apple. You might be able to do apple sauce. But to remake and apple that been dry? That would be hard.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
They have already started 3d printing bionic hands and I think ears that function very well, however I don't think we are at the point where we can start printing houses. I think it would take too long to fabricate to be useful.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

I still think that pizza isn't the ideal for a first attempt with food, but who knows?

It is not uncommon for a boxer to binge on something unhealthy like cookies and ice cream after a fight because he has been denying himself that simple pleasure during his training. I would guess that NASA has at least a little bit of data on what foods astronauts miss the most after a long mission based on post-mission interviews. They probably have some dietary restrictions leading up to the mission as well, so they could be denied their favorite foods for some time before the mission even starts. If this is the case, the most common stuff from the astronaut's home culture is what they crave the most. For Americans it would probably be things like pizza, hamburgers, french fries, soup, ice cream, steak, fried chicken, beer etc. NASA seems very interested in studying and addressing the potential psychological burdens of long-term space flight, so it makes sense that they would want a way to provide something that resembles that sort of common comfort food.
edit on 5/22/2013 by Slugworth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join