It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Semper's Search for the Perfect Survival Knife Series

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Thanks Mr. Semper..for.. starting this thread.

Knives have always struck a chord with me. Have always since I was a kid, even had a business at one time selling them and swords. I am somewhat of an aficionado. I like steel!

So these are my favorites of the collection.

You are very apt on 'systems', so this is the one I never leave home without...puny I know but it could save your buttocks (PG). I use it daily when I need 'something'.

The Leatherman Blast

Next is my personal favorite because it just fits my hand the best. I have small hands. (Dont believe the hype
). It is definitely heavy enough to chop but agile. AUS-8

The Cold Steel Recon Tanto

3/16"!

Next is The KA-BAR Big Brother. No holds barred this is a bad mofo. I tend to take preference to the Recon Tanto only because it fits so good. But in a SHTF scenario, I think I would probably grab this hunk o steel. I like the chopping power of this one and the serrated top edge. 1095 Cro-Van.

Blade length 9-3/8", Overall length 14-3/8"...BIG BROTHER!

Next is the Old School (ORIGINAL) Western. Western Knife Co.. This one has been handed down throught the family. Patina, Pits, rotted leather and all. Carbon and is sharp as a razor!

So I cant choose just one and would grab them all.

Very Helpful....List Of Blade Materials

And.... Nuff Said!

That is all. Have a nice day!
edit on 22-5-2013 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Also, a good knife and good shoes/boots are worth every penny. Don't Skimp! Buy some today.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
If the SHTF scenario included likelihood of armed combat, I would choose a dagger--Linder, Boker, Gerber, etc, and a regular sized Leatherman multi-tool.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I would like to chime in and express my love for the Blind Horse Knives 'Pathfinder' knife.

02 Carbon steel.

3/16" Thick.

Scandi grind.

5 1/2" Blade, 10" Overall length.

Canvas micarta scales, with fish-eye pins.

Leather-Kydex hybrid sheath.

Squared spine for ferro-rod striking.

This is a hefty chunk of steel. I would class it more as a survival knife than a bushcraft knife due to its size. It's thick enough and long enough to batton with. The scandinavian grind and steel choice means you can keep it razor sharp with relative ease. The design of the sheath with it's retention system means that unless your belt gets ripped off your person the knife is not going anywhere.

It is a bit pricey though, and that would deter many people.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

while I agree with bemjiz that a titanium blade would meet or surpass all of the criteria except for the steel criteria, I have been kind of obsessed right now with the thought of highly aesthetic knives with visible metal "grain" some of which go for 12 grand

edit on 23-5-2013 by reject because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I purchased a Mora Clipper about a year ago, for under $15.
Don't think there is such a thing as the "perfect" knife- but this comes very close- everything listed as a requirement, this has it (one drawback, the sheath is sorta flimsy, and doesn't float).

For a fixed-blade knife, I would highly recommend this

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Some of my favorites:

Leatherman pulse, Linder skinner, Schrade Uncle Henry, Linder dagger, Gerber dagger, Cold Steel

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join