It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traveling with firearms

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DC434L2A

That is definitely worth consideration thank you but gotta ask. Why did you favor people who carry as "good guys" if they are american citizens and do not carry are they not just as good being innocent until proven guilty and all?

Second. If that was the case, why do you suggest officer #1 gave me such a hard time when I told him I wasn't carrying?
edit on 21-5-2013 by txinfidel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by txinfidel

1) its not really a matter of "oh, he's carrying, he must be a good guy"* but ' I'm walking into an tense situation that could, potentially go very, very badly for all involved, but this guy is taking every step available to him to let me know, right up front, that he dosent intend on killing me.' That sort of reassurance just makes me feel a bit nicer and warm and fuzzy, and more understanding overall.

2) That officer, in that particular case, might have just been a example of male genitalia.

*I will admit, anyone who goes through the training, discipline, and dedication to competently carry a side arm to defend themselves, their loved ones, and those members of the public around them if need be, are, intact, one of the good guys in my book.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

That's why you travel with a copy of the "Act"..

I'll have to recommend that to him, if he doesn't already. (he just might after that NYC bit, hehe...)

Thanks.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by txinfidel

I direct your attention to a little known law passed in 2007:House Bill 1815. This bill allows for the loaded and concealed carry of a firearm without license in any vehicle or any home. There is no “traveling” law anymore; meaning you don’t have to be going to or from home to carry in your vehicle. The law also allows for the carry of larger fixed blade knives that were previously illegal.

There really is no need for a Texas CHL anymore.

SECTION 1. Section 46.02, Penal Code, is amended by amending Subsection (a) and adding Subsections (a-1) and (a-2) to read as follows:

(a) A person commits an offense if the person [he] intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view; or

(2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;

(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or

(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.
www.capitol.state.tx.us...

So my question is (and it may very depending on states) When I am carrying and I am pulled over and asked the dreaded question, be it either a routine stop or for speeding. What is the correct answer to the officer who pulled you over without probable cause?

Tell the truth. It’s not illegal to carry in your vehicle in Texas. Unless you’re in the commission of a crime there is no weapon violation.

Also, as a welcomed side topic. What are the rules about carrying when traveling by airline?

I have a friend in LE and he regularly travels home to Florida with his pistol. It must be checked separately in a gun box/bag with your regular baggage. The airline puts a bright red tape on the bag to identify it as a firearm. He says it’s not a big deal. Personally, I would be too worried about it disappearing.

edit on 22-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Personally, I would be too worried about it disappearing.

Me too, I'd just Fed Ex it, if really needed.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I will take your advice my friend. It is my goal to avoid a conflict in all cases. I guess honesty is the best policy.
My nervousness is perhaps a stigma from officer #1 but I will try not to let it get to me.

Thanks to all the informative replies, to everyone!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by txinfidel
reply to post by seabag

I will take your advice my friend. It is my goal to avoid a conflict in all cases. I guess honesty is the best policy.
My nervousness is perhaps a stigma from officer #1 but I will try not to let it get to me.

Thanks to all the informative replies, to everyone!

It might not be a bad Idea to keep a printed copy of HB1815 in your glove box....

I do! Just in case!

If the law changes I'll hear about it and let you know. My brother-in-law and also a close friend of mine are both LE in Texas. LE wasn't real fond of HB1815 when it passed....for obvious reasons (they'd prefer nobody was armed but them)!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join