It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crazy Weather -National Radar (05/20/13) - And TORNADOES IN NY? - (05/21/13) *EDIT*

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Crazy Weather... I edited the Original Post to include this as well...

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED TORNADO WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY 531 PM EDT TUE MAY 21 2013 THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A * TORNADO WARNING FOR... NORTHERN LITCHFIELD COUNTY IN NORTHERN CONNECTICUT... SOUTHWESTERN BERKSHIRE COUNTY IN WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS... NORTHEASTERN DUTCHESS COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK... SOUTH CENTRAL COLUMBIA COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK... * UNTIL 600 PM EDT * AT 529 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 6 MILES SOUTHEAST OF COPAKE...OR 12 MILES SOUTHWEST OF GREAT BARRINGTON... MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 15 MPH. * THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR... SHEFFIELD BY 545 PM EDT... ASHLEY FALLS BY 550 PM EDT... CANAAN...EDDY FIELD AND FALLS VILLAGE BY 555 PM EDT... NORFOLK BY 600 PM EDT... PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
www.erh.noaa.gov...

Random and spurattic weather going on lately... Tornadoes, although they do happen, are somewhat rare in the Northeast. After yesterday, it proves just how strange the weather can be.

The rotation of the atmosphere above the Central U.S. was ridiculous yesterday.
The line of storms that spawned the destructive EF-5 tornado in Oklahoma, comes from seemingly nowhere. It literally just EXPLODES into view. Amazing stuff.
(quality is minimal - due to upload size restrictions)

Link

It just goes to show you...
You never know what can happen. The worst things tend to happen suddenly. And it's always best to stay prepared. Nature does not discriminate.

edit on 21-5-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
(EDIT): 05/21/13

A tornado was reported near Copake, NY moving E at 35 mph.

Storms capable of producing tornadoes moving into Columbia & Dutchess Counties, NY. Be alert for changing weather conditions.

twitter.com...

I first heard this locally, from Albany, NY (Capital Region)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
We have breaking news down south too, with the spawning of tornados.

Wonder what the rest of the summer will bring...

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I am in upstate NY - it has been very warm and humid. The sky has turned from sunny to sudden pop-up thunderstorms on and off throughout the day. They are appearing quickly in various spots throughout the state and some are severe. They seem to be intensifying from west to east but this is the first I have heard of a possible tornado! They do occur in NY although rarely.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Your gif looks like an inland Hurricane that covers half the nation.

I have been observing these things for the past two years and I have never found a clear answer for why they happen....

We live at the bottom of Lake Huron and I can say with certainty that with that rotation some weather systems take 2-5 days just to clear.

You get wind and rain that you got 3 days earlier it just goes around and around.

If there are Tornadoes developing in NY you folks have our prayers and hopefully will come out unscathed.

Crazy times indeed.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491
Crazy Weather... I edited the Original Post to include this as well...

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED TORNADO WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY 531 PM EDT TUE MAY 21 2013 THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A * TORNADO WARNING FOR... NORTHERN LITCHFIELD COUNTY IN NORTHERN CONNECTICUT... SOUTHWESTERN BERKSHIRE COUNTY IN WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS... NORTHEASTERN DUTCHESS COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK... SOUTH CENTRAL COLUMBIA COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK... * UNTIL 600 PM EDT * AT 529 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 6 MILES SOUTHEAST OF COPAKE...OR 12 MILES SOUTHWEST OF GREAT BARRINGTON... MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 15 MPH. * THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR... SHEFFIELD BY 545 PM EDT... ASHLEY FALLS BY 550 PM EDT... CANAAN...EDDY FIELD AND FALLS VILLAGE BY 555 PM EDT... NORFOLK BY 600 PM EDT... PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
www.erh.noaa.gov...

Random and spurattic weather going on lately... Tornadoes, all though they do happen, are somewhat rare in the Northeast. After yesterday, it proves just how strange weather can be.

The rotation of the atmosphere above the Central U.S. was ridiculous yesterday.
The line of storms that spawned the destructive EF-5 tornado in Oklahoma, comes from seemingly nowhere. It literally just EXPLODES into view. Amazing stuff.
(quality is minimal - due to upload size restrictions)

Link

It just goes to show you...
You never know what can happen. The worst things tend to happen suddenly. And it's always best to stay prepared. Nature does not discriminate.

Regarding your above edit can I assume that Tornadoes are rare out there in your area?

If so do people know what to do if this twister touches down?

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
Regarding your above edit can I assume that Tornadoes are rare out there in your area?

Yes, for the most part. Especially when compared to other places, like the great-plains.

Originally posted by Iwinder
If so do people know what to do if this twister touches down?

I would certainly hope so.

I can remember the EF3-EF4 Tornado that hit Mechanicville, NY in May, of 1998. And while I wasn't directly in the twister myself, I do know that 0-1 deaths occurred, due to a possible heart-attack... I cannot confirm that, however

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Thank you all for the replies.

This video gives a more detailed account on some of the worst tornadoes to hit the Capital District. And a summary of how/why they occur.

Taking a look at some of the worst tornadoes to hit the Capital District (NY, MA, VT)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

After watching the video you so kindly provided I can't believe my own ignorance regarding Tornadoes in the NY area...
Heck you guys have had some good ones/ bad ones, you know what I mean.

Thanks for the knowledge learned.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
So does this mean that God is not only targeting republican's he is targeting democrats as well?
I guess turn about is fair play.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
All these people thinking the weather is crazy. Let me know when a big tornado hits Phoenix, or LA. That would be crazy.

What we see now is just weather that has always happened in those areas. Yes tornadoes in NY are rare but they do happen there.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diisenchanted
So does this mean that God is not only targeting republican's he is targeting democrats as well?
I guess turn about is fair play.

Rofl! (o_O") ??

Thanks for contributing.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azdraik
All these people thinking the weather is crazy. Let me know when a big tornado hits Phoenix, or LA. That would be crazy.

What we see now is just weather that has always happened in those areas. Yes tornadoes in NY are rare but they do happen there.

You're missing the point.
50+ people were killed yesterday in Oklahoma.

NY wasn't even projected to experience a signifigent threat from tornadic activity today...
Let alone a confirmed touchdown, and wide-spread warnings. Especially to the East.
Including MA. and CT.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
More about the OK. EF-5 tornado...

Here is an Eye-opening set of Radar Images via TWC.

Absolutely Chilling: Telltale Radar Images

As one of the above posters said, it's reminiscent of a full-blown Hurricane.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
We have a few touch down in Michigan every year. It's not so unusual. But they are definitely less common up here than down in the south.

When I was young, I would say between 9 or 11 - we had a twister touch down in the rural area in which I lived. We took shelter downstairs and held up underneath a pool table in the basement. When it was over, like literally 5 minutes later - we went outside to view the damage. The neighbors on the same side of the road as us had the roof taken off, I guess it jumped back up, then touched back down again on the neighbors to the other side of us! Their roof was gone to. But the twister never touched down on our house. It was bizarre. I'll never forget the way the sky looked, or that sound it made. It almost felt like time slowed down and five minutes turned into a very long time.

It was a truly terrifying experience.

Stay safe everyone.

Blessings,
Cirque
edit on 21-5-2013 by CirqueDeTruth because: corrections

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I'm not trying to be stupid here, I legitimately want to know...

Could any of this weather have anything to do with the Gulf of Mexico? Just wondering if the damage done there could have in any way affected anything?

It seems here on Long Island, ever since that whole incident, we get ridiculous amounts of wind following any type of weather front. I'm talking two or three days worth of 25-30mph winds, and we never got that before. I know that is nothing in comparison to these storms popping up. I was just curious.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Grew up in the mountains in NY. Tornadoes, though rare, are not unheard of there.I remember a couple from when I was little bouncing around the valley between the mountains as if it was an the ball in an old-school pinball machine.Not arguing that weather patterns aren't changing...they definitely are. Just saying it's not as rare as some might think to have a tornado in NY. .
edit on 5/21/2013 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
During the Mechanicville tornado, I remember the entire area being under a substantial weather threat... I grew up in Upstate, NY and I have witnessed plenty of tornado watches and warnings around the Capital Region... But never anything like that...

I was just a kid then, but I can still remember the entire sky turning a pitch-green... and the vibe in the air being calm, yet unsettling. That day was the only time I was ever forced to seek shelter in the basement. And I can still recall my Dad insisting my Mother and I, follow him downstairs... until we got down there, and my mom opted to venture up to an empty apartment on the 3rd floor, to get a better view of the storm. And being the storm enthusiast that I am today, and much older now... I probably would have done the same thing.

May 31st, 1998 Northeast US tornado outbreak. This outbreak spawned many tornadoes, one of them an F4 tornado that struck the towns of Mechanicville & Stillwater, NY north of Albany.

In the morning hours Sunday May 31, 1998 a warm front moved rapidly north across New York and Western New England. During the day upper level divergence rapidly increased, the 850 hPa jet increased to over 50 kts, helicity values increased to 500 to 800 m2 sec-2 in the highly sheared environment. Low level moisture increased rapidly as dew points rose from 8C to 22C during the day, resulting in rapid atmospheric destabilization.

During the morning Sunday May 31, 1998 a Derecho moved across southern Ontario and decayed as it moved into the Adirondacks. It established boundaries which focused later convection. During the afternoon a cold front pressed south into western New York and a series of lines of thunderstorms formed ahead of it.

Thunderstorms developed explosively as they moved east across the region. Several of these storms became tornadic. The most long lived tornadic thunderstorm produced a series of tornadoes starting with an F3 tornado that moved across the Saratoga County Communities of Stillwater and Mechanicville, and moved into the Rensselear County town of Schaghticoke. The tornado continued east across Hoosic Falls into the Washington County town of White Creek and into Bennington County Vermont. It was mainly an F2 and skipped occasionally from Rensselaer county into Vermont.

An F2 tornado occurred in East Schodack, while an F1 tornado occurred across the Albany International Airport.

The tornados of May 31, 1998 were caused by scattered supercell thunderstorms along a squall line in a highly sheared environment. Most of the other severe thunderstorm wind damage was associated a series of squall lines which moved across the region at speeds of 40 to 60 mph.
Source

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321
I'm not trying to be stupid here, I legitimately want to know...

Could any of this weather have anything to do with the Gulf of Mexico? Just wondering if the damage done there could have in any way affected anything?

It seems here on Long Island, ever since that whole incident, we get ridiculous amounts of wind following any type of weather front. I'm talking two or three days worth of 25-30mph winds, and we never got that before. I know that is nothing in comparison to these storms popping up. I was just curious.

For the southern plains (Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas esp.) the Gulf of Mexico is one of the two main factors for the power of the storms we get here. The other factor is the Rocky Mountains to our west. Warm moist air is just warm moist air....but when it collides with the cold air streaming down the eastern slope of the Rockies we get monster super cells. You need two things for these large super cells to form; Warm moisture laden air (Gulf of Mexico) and cold air (Rocky Mountains). Without one or the other you get no wind shear....the cold upper level air mass flowing down through the lower level warm, moist air. I'm not a meteorologist...just a Tornado Alley native.

If on the other hand your talking about the BP disaster....then. No.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491

Originally posted by Azdraik

You're missing the point.
50+ people were killed yesterday in Oklahoma.

NY wasn't even projected to experience a signifigent threat from tornadic activity today...
Let alone a confirmed touchdown, and wide-spread warnings. Especially to the East.
Including MA. and CT.

Tornadoes can happen anywhere, as long as you have the right ingredients for it.

As posted above, all it takes is rising warm, moist air and a mass of cold air mixing together, to help form them.

Not to belittle the tragedy that happened yesterday, the fact remains that a large swath of the midwestern US is the perfect place for these storms to form, and for the formation of tornadoes. Where they touch down and how long they stay down is pretty much up to the storm systems. If this EF-5 had touched down out in a very rural farm land area, there would have been little to no deaths at all.

However, the fact remains, people live in this area of the US, and the chances of a tornado touching down are there. Places will be destroyed and people will get hurt or killed.

It's like when hurricane hits, people act all shocked and surprised. But the fact remains, if you live anywhere on the east coast of the US or the Gulf Coast of the US, you have a large chance of having a hurricane landing where you live.

The Midwestern part of the US is not the only "Tornado Alley". Here in the SE where I live, we have our own Tornado Alley.

Here is a image showing tornado activity that has been recorded from 1950 to 1998, and as you can see, yes, NY has had them before:

Image Source

top topics

<<   2 >>

join