It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baltic Sea update: Piece of the object is metal

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum

Originally posted by tinhattribunal
in order to rust, iron needs to be exposed to oxygen (the 'ox' in oxide),
so underwater it shouldn't rust, but might still deteriorate, depending on alloy and conditions.

How in the Hell did you Extrapolate that Conclusion.

H2O Means that there is Oxygen Molecules in Water.

So, .. . Iron in Water is Going to Rust. Period.

Have you ever seen an old shipwreck's cannons after it is been submerged for a hundred years?

Actually he is partly correct.
The reason why iron rusts in the sea is because there is dissolved oxygen in water, not because Oxygen is part of H2O. If you add enough salt to water you drive out all the dissolved O2 and in this state the corrosion rate approaches zero. For corrosion to occur both anodic and cathodic reactions must take place. You can stop corrosion by stifling either one of those reactions.
edit on 22-5-2013 by BullwinkleKicksButt because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-5-2013 by BullwinkleKicksButt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
So little information, so much marketing ... and how long has this been going on? Almost for 2 years now. The first time this came up in various blogs and the yellow press was in June 2011 (link).

And how much more do we know about that formation today? It's such a shame that this is being exploited so blatantly on various channels and news outlets incl. the Ocean-X website. But their marketing is good, given that the story is so poor and trivial in terms of content.

Given the current rate of progress, I don't expect them to find anything meaningful down there in the decades to come. And unless some real professionals go down there and do some serious research, this will forever remain a mystery for the Ocean-X team to exploit.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Could it just be the meteorite that ended the dinosaure age ???

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nuke2013

No.
I didn't see a crater.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

No.
I didn't see a crater.

it's been millions of years and it's under water.....Plus add the millions of years of sea mulch adding up and covering the possible meteorite and the crator being spread out because of the impact being in water......

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

No.
I didn't see a crater.

it's been millions of years and it's under water.....Plus add the millions of years of sea mulch adding up and covering the possible meteorite and the crator being spread out because of the impact being in water......

Life extinguishing meteorite impacts leave huge craters that last for millenia. If the crater has filled with sediment, wouldn't it have covered the meteorite? The crater would be smaller, if the impact was in an ocean... but we don't know if there was water there when the strike (which, IMO didn't happen) occurred.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Themaninwhite

Of course you can't draw any conclusions from anything they have ever said about this Baltic Sea "object". Because it's all a scam, a farce, an attention grabbing money making BS scheme if I've ever seen it. And I fully believe in UFO's and aliens, but not this dive team and their vague descriptions.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
the mainstream-media-discrediting-campaign of this discovery sure worked well. now it is the diver-team that is to blame for discovering this object that happens to look like a flying saucer.the divers never said they think it is an ufo.but yeah "they are hoaxers"....there we have a real mystery and its quickly undone by msm and the sheeples follow the call. i just admire this treasure hunters for having the guts to carry on and solve the riddle.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by glowdog
the mainstream-media-discrediting-campaign of this discovery sure worked well. now it is the diver-team that is to blame for discovering this object that happens to look like a flying saucer.the divers never said they think it is an ufo.but yeah "they are hoaxers"....there we have a real mystery and its quickly undone by msm and the sheeples follow the call. i just admire this treasure hunters for having the guts to carry on and solve the riddle.

Are you sure you want to admit to knowing all the secrets behind this? I mean, aren't you afraid of being "suicided" by "you know who"

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BullwinkleKicksButt

He may be partially correct but I am Fully correct or else those Rocks wouldn't be Covered in Rust.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

reply to post by BullwinkleKicksButt

He may be partially correct but I am Fully correct or else those Rocks wouldn't be Covered in Rust.

Hmm, I'm very surprised you are arguing semantics here. If anyone is fully correct, it's BullwinkleKicksButt*, you are stating that things rust (proper term would be corrode I think), because they are underwater. Only because they are underwater. Suggesting that metal reacts only with h2o. But as Bullwinkle pointed out, it's reacting with dissolved oxygen.

Your idea, this essentially would be the same as putting a metal object in a saturated alkaline solution of h20, but removing all dissolved oxygen and replacing it with some inert gas. If it corroded under these conditions, then you would be "fully correct".

Because though, the corrosion is from dissolved oxygen in solution, and not from oxygen molecules breaking from their hydrogen bonds, you are not "fully correct".

4Fe(s) + 3O2(aq) + 6H2O(l) --> 4Fe(OH)3(s) ..... rust formed under water

The above, still requires dissolved oxygen, for it to react with h2o.

See, non-corrosive boiler water:

corrosion-doctors.org...

edit on 22-5-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Apparently I am or those Rocks wouldn't be Rusty as Hell.

Spare me the Verbiage. It is Actually OXIDIZED and that process causes the Corrosion.

Weather it is Fresh or Salt water there is still Oxygen in it.

Actually my idea was to throw a chunk of Iron in the Ocean and Watch it RUST, which it Will do over a period of time. It had absolutely nothing to do with anything being saturated in an alkaline solution of anything.

If you are looking to show that I am Only Partially Correct then you are going to have to show me pictures of Iron that has been submerged Underwater that has Not been eaten alive ( Corroded ) by Rust.

Thanks for the input.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Welcome to another exciting and revealing hour of "The Wonderful World of Rocks".
Stay in your seats folks, because you won't want to miss this really big rock that lies on the bottom of the Baltic Sea.

We promise you we will get to the bottom of this conspiracy...
Why are major media networks not covering this amazing rock discovery 24x7, instead blabbing about the latest tornado and what not?
Where do metals come from? Is it true that some metals come from rocks?
What can we learn from rocks, who outnumber us on this planet?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bluestreak53

All that and you didn't mention one damn thing about .. . .. RUST.

P.S.. . . we can learn allot from ROCKS. . .. .

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   

reply to post by boncho

Apparently I am or those Rocks wouldn't be Rusty as Hell.

Spare me the Verbiage. It is Actually OXIDIZED and that process causes the Corrosion.

Weather it is Fresh or Salt water there is still Oxygen in it.

Actually my idea was to throw a chunk of Iron in the Ocean and Watch it RUST, which it Will do over a period of time. It had absolutely nothing to do with anything being saturated in an alkaline solution of anything.

If you are looking to show that I am Only Partially Correct then you are going to have to show me pictures of Iron that has been submerged Underwater that has Not been eaten alive ( Corroded ) by Rust.

Thanks for the input.

Did you take basic chemistry in school?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

You stated that the rust comes from oxygen being a part of h2o, as in, the oxygen undergoing chemical reaction and separating the bonds of hydrogen and that oxygen producing the rust.

Another poster was pointing out saturated oxygen levels in water which was causing rust.

The latter is correct.

My point, is that under your reasoning, you would have to put a piece of metal in an alkaline solution (to mimic the ocean) but then de-oxiginate the water (because your claim was that the oxygen creating rust was coming from h2o and not the o saturated in the h20)

The difference, the other poster stating that the dissolved oxygen in water causing rust, and you stating it comes from the bonded oxygen in water, only one is partially right.

The other poster, is the equivalent of throwing a piece of metal in the ocean. Under your premise, you would have to de-oxiginate the water, pump in an inert gas, for the same conditions.

Capiche?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

www.ehow.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
antoine.frostburg.edu...

here is a few links to understand why iron and steel rusts.....

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Does anyone really think that the presence of naturally occurring iron ore indicates that a piece of iron or steel was there originally there?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Your garble means nothing.

I am looking for pictures.

Iron underwater rusts. Period.

Forget all of that reaction crap.

Show me pictures of a piece of iron underwater that has been there for a period of time that has NOT rusted. It is all I am asking. Don't try to explain any further you are only hurting yourself.

Show Pictures.

Thanks.

EDIT:

P.S. .. ..

You said

"My point, is that under your reasoning, you would have to put a piece of metal in an alkaline solution (to mimic the ocean) but then de-oxiginate the water (because your claim was that the oxygen creating rust was coming from h2o and not the o saturated in the h20)".

You better check again because I think you are responding to someone else’s post as I Never said anything like that at all.

edit on 23-5-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join