It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is the EYE of Horus doing on a BOAT in Troy?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ganniccus

no respectable archaeologist dares to deny a multiple and maybe a specific possible conflict that took place there in the late bronze age that may very well been passed on through generations as a single event given birth to a single "trojan war" - search for the hittite connection for further in depth analysis.

Research done for the past 10 to 20 years does reveal that we do have to take homer a bit more seriously.

But we're talking different languages here and theres not point in this. The Illiad turns out to be a mash-up if you will. And there's also things you dont seem to grasp such as history itself, myths, mythology, allegorical mythologies, historical allegories and moral allegories... can you define what exactly the Illiad is?

By what you've replied... I don't think so.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
For the record, there are at least 221 errors in the movie Troy, from visible crew, to continuity errors, to the fact that the sun is seen rising over the sea, which means it is to east, yet the sea around troy is north and south.

www.moviemistakes.com...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
For the record, there are at least 221 errors in the movie Troy, from visible crew, to continuity errors, to the fact that the sun is seen rising over the sea, which means it is to east, yet the sea around troy is north and south.

www.moviemistakes.com...

I'm not even referring to those... I was just focusing on Movie vs Illiad and I just mentioned 2 or 3... if I were to include those, then we'd be here all night. Such a bad movie it hurts. Whoever saw the movie actually thinks that the "trojan war" as depicted in the illiad lasted 17 days or whatever...
that says a lot for the quality of the movie. To all the Troy movie edition fans - it was 10 years. I mean... HOW could they have missed such a basic fact that Achilles was dead by the time the horse was ready? Is it so difficult to be at least somewhat CLOSE to the original?

Nice jumping sequence by achilles at the beginning but it ends there. The illiad is far more gory tho.

But yea well... entertainment... I enjoyed the gladiator too but the historic part also screwed me up... I remember I almost spilled my coke in the theater - "commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions ................ felix legions"... yea right... lots of them... actually only one... legio IV flavia felix. Not to mention that cluster f* of names thrown out and... yea I wont even go there, it would be a thread of its own I guess. Damn you hollywood... thats why people love movies but then kids get to see some real history and they find it to be so boring... its not boring, hollywood just lies!

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
They probably used the Eye because it looked cool in the movie, doesnt matter if its inaccurate, their production people probably said 'it looks cool, put it on the ships'

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
They probably used the Eye because it looked cool in the movie, doesnt matter if its inaccurate, their production people probably said 'it looks cool, put it on the ships'

pretty much "but it doesnt fit" "whos running this? YOU?" "alright sir..."
edit on 21-5-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The boat just wanted some vision.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

Greece and Egypt have a long standing history together.

As we can see during the Hellenistc Period (323BC - 30BC), the Greek people were integrators instead of isolationists. They have a long-held philosophy of absorbing the beneficial cultural aspects of others into their own Greek culture.

Researchers and experts differ on the exact date of the Trojan War, however, it is estimated to have occurred sometime between 1,260BC - 1,184BC.

Here's what we know about Greek and Egyptian contact:

• When Alexander the Great (356BC - 323BC) conquered Egypt in 332BC, it marked a major influx of Egyptian culture into Greece.

• Plato (428BC - 347BC) in his compilation "Timaeus-Critias", Plato mentions Atlantis, as told to Solon by the Egyptian priest Sais.

• Herodotus (484BC - 425BC) visited Egypt in the 4th Century-BC during the 27th Egyptian Dynasty.

• Solon (638BC - 558BC) visited Egypt during the 6th Century-BC, and learned of Atlantean and Greek history from Egyptian priest Sais.

As we can see, the historic period of Greece is still not old enough to account for the Trojan War. Or is it??.....

The Minoans of Crete, Greece flourished from 2,700BC - 1,500BC. There is evidence of Egyptian goods in Crete, and Minoan goods in Egypt as early as the Middle Minoan Eras I and II, which would date to 2,00BC - 1,600BC.

Through the Minoan trade and contact with the Egyptians, the wadjet, Eye Of Ra, and Eye of Horus could have already been brought to Greece prior to the Trojan War.

Peace.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Ever heard of the evil eye? The hamsa? The Hand of Miriam? The Hand of Fatima? A nazar? Let me elaborate...

Belief in the evil eye is strongest in the Middle East, East and West Africa, Central America, South Asia, Central Asia, and Europe, especially the Mediterranean region; it has also spread to areas, including northern Europe, particularly in the Celtic regions, and the Americas, where it was brought by European colonists and Middle Eastern immigrants.

In the Aegean Region and other areas where light-colored eyes are relatively rare, people with green eyes, and especially blue eyes, are thought to bestow the curse, intentionally or unintentionally. This belief may have arisen because people from cultures not used to the evil eye, such as Northern Europe, are likely to transgress local customs against staring or praising the beauty of children. Thus, in Greece and Turkey amulets against the evil eye take the form of blue eyes.

Disks or balls, consisting of concentric blue and white circles (usually, from inside to outside, dark blue, light blue, white, dark blue) representing an evil eye are common apotropaic talismans in the Middle East, found on the prows of Mediterranean boats and elsewhere; in some forms of the folklore, the staring eyes are supposed to bend the malicious gaze back to the sorcerer. Known as nazar (Turkish: nazar boncuğu or nazarlık), this talisman is most frequently seen in Turkey, found in or on houses and vehicles or worn as beads. A blue or green eye can also be found on some forms of the hamsa hand, an apotropaic hand-shaped talisman against the evil eye found in the Middle East. The word hamsa, also spelled khamsa and hamesh, means "five" referring to the fingers of the hand. In Jewish culture, the hamsa is called the Hand of Miriam; in some Muslim populated cultures, the Hand of Fatima. However, it is considered a superstition to practicing or religious Muslims that any symbol or object protects against the evil eye. In Islam, only God can protect against the evil eye.

The practice of painting an eye on the prows of Greek boats in the Mediterranean was commonplace because of the belief in the evil eye. This symbols predates Christianity and is widespread over several cultures and countries in Europe and the Middle East. Read up on it yourself...

en.m.wikipedia.org...
en.m.wikipedia.org...
en.m.wikipedia.org...(amulet)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join