It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large tornado plowing through Moore OK, southern OKC right now

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I35 south bound for S@R ONLY!

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
ALL CALL for first responders to Moore area, if you are able to get there they are asking you respond now.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Remember PUNCTURE wounds and lacerations are the number one effect from tornadoes.

Confirmed 7 in critical from the elementary.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Using axes to break through debris to survivors, Darkness will be coming soon which will make rescue more difficult. Pray for the S@R teams.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Looks like the storm is upon me now, thankfully it has weakened for the most part.. Going to sign off for a bit till it passes. Ya'll stay safe out there.

~OkieDokie

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OkieDokie

Stay safe!

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Children told to Hang onto the walls as tornado hit, Teacher who threw herself over 3 kids in critical condition.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by OkieDokie

We love you OkieDokie, stay safe, check back in.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
If you were very poor and could not afford a tornado shelter, what would you do? It is said that this tornado was so bad you really needed to be underground.

I was thinking that it would be good if people built themselves a sort of spider hole. This would be last resort. The best thing would be to leave the area.

But how would you build one? I would think it would be good to dig a hole as deep as your chest and wide enough to turn around and crouch in. Then get a heavy piece of board and make some sort of handle for it. You will be inside the hole crouching and holding the handle, pulling the board down over the hole. The board should be painted orange with markings indicating someone is inside the hole.
ou
You should not dig in unfamiliar areas and where there may be power lines, gas or water mains. It might not even be legal to dig but maybe you will do it anyway.

If I lived in a trailer park just now and knew that in a day or so a tornado might come, because of very bad weather in surrounding states, I would be trying to find out where I could seek shelter. If not I would build myself and people I loved their own spider hole.

How would you make a spider hole? I wouldn't want to be buried and I would want my spider hole to be visible. I'd want to be able to climb out and not be trapped inside. It would not be good to dig in some areas. If the hole fills with water that is ok if it isn't so bad. You can survive being muddy. You would not want the hole to collapse on you. You would not want ants to sting you while you were in the hole.

How would you make a shelter with little or no money?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
here is a link to live stream of Moore Oklahoma News coverage

live coverage Moore OK news

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
If there were kids down in the basement, so much debris on top of them.

The coordination is going to be a huge challenge.

15 Children from the school are at:

1561 vickie dr, are at this location!

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Talking with people under debris right now.

huge effort to pull people out who are crying out for help.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
4th 5th and 6th graders all accounted for and at a local church!!!

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

Mabye end up being worse than the 1999 twister...which supposedly had the highest winds ever recorded anywhere on earth...ever.

According to the National Weather Service in Norman, Okla., the tornado was on the ground for approximately 40 minutes, and a tornado warning was in effect for 16 minutes before twister developed.

Weather officials estimated the strength of the tornado to be an F4 or F5 on the Fujita scale, the highest rating a tornado can achieve.

On May 3, 1999, a tornado outbreak near Oklahoma City produced 14 tornadoes—including an F5 in Moore—killing 36 people and injuring 295 others. A host on KFOR called Monday's storm "the worst tornado damagewise in the history of the world."

news.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Weakening storm fronts however Ardmore needs to take cover now!

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
My prayers go out to all those affected. My mother in-law teaches at West Moore HS and we finally got in touch with her. Her best freind there is awaiting word on her child that was in one of the schools hit. They are both dazed and confused...she kept saying she didn't know what's going on. Must be too much to process at the moment. I took some pictures today at 2pm...about an hour before the tornado's started tearing apart Moore. Their panoramic pics to show the size of the storm.

The left of the shots is facing NE and the right side of the pictures is straight south.

This picture was taken at 5:10pm....3 hours after the first two. Notice how much the supercell has built back west. These storms are traveling NE....these shots are from the west of the supercell looking easterly.

Again the left of the picture is facing NE and the right is due south....the little road in the shot is a N-S road.

Just to give some of you an idea where this large cell is...in the above picture the storm the large anvil straight south belongs to is dumping hail and high winds west of the Nocona TX area...it's one large cluster from there to the NE.
edit on 20-5-2013 by EdSurly because: last paragraph

edit on 20-5-2013 by EdSurly because: spelling

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
watching live now on cnn and looks terrible. This could be really bad.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

Absolutely amazing pictures!

We are all praying for you, your family and friends.

PLEASE keep us updated. Let us know about your loved ones.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Is this Plaza Towers Elementary school?

At 4:55pm News9 said all the children (people) in that school were accounted for and CNN is still not confirming this via KFOR. Like CNN is pulling their usual stunt to get more viewers and not telling people the kids are okay. It has been an hour since News9 said the kids have been accounted for.

I know a few schools have been hit and i am trying to listen to the live feed and CNN in the other ear. I am confused as to what schools, and if any other children are trapped in other schools and maybe i heard wrong.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

It's not confirmed, they are still searching.
My understanding is that some grades of the school are accounted for, but I think there are still younger students and teachers missing.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join