It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Justice Department Targeted Fox News Reporter!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by HauntWok
[Where's the scandal here?

Take off the partisan sunglasses and take a real look at what is happening.

James Rosen was falsely accused of 'co-conspiracy' to a federal crime. He was falsely accused in order to get a search warrent that was motivated out of partisanship.

He was falsely accused to confirm that NK Intelligence analyst was the leak...which they proved. It wasn't a partisan motivation, it was a "find the leaker" motivation. Please don't muddy the waters on a genuine issue here.

BTW - Rosen did go overboard...he set up aliases for the leaker to use, created special codes/signals etc. General spycraft, but that doesn't make Rosen a "Co-Conspirator" in Espionage...he is immune as long as he is working for "press" purposesvs. NK gov. That is my opinion anyways.

the DOJ was required to notify James Rosen that they broke into his personal EMAILS and they were required to notify FOX News that they broke through their security protocols at servers at work and went through their records. The Obama DOJ did not notify anyone as they were required to do.

Not sure if they are required to notify Rosen during the investigation...and they didn't hack Fox Servers...they served a warrant to Google/Gmail.

The Obama DOJ is leaning on journalists. AP. FOX. Probably more. It's Nazi-esque.

When partisans over-reach in hopes of larger scandal vs. drilling down on a DOJ over-reach...they muddy and dilute a genuine issue that needs to be investigated and addressed.

Otherwise...the rhetoric above will damage what should be a a non-partisan investigation into WTF happened here.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by teamcommander
Does it not seem kind of strange how these are some of the same people who discounted this situation happening when congress passed the "Patriot Act" and then the "NDAA".
This is the kind of legislation whcich gives cover to these searches by the government.
I don't fully agree with what is going on, but it's kind of refreshing to see the chickens come home to roost.

I get you...but even a crook and a liar deserves equal justice. When the justice system itself bends the law, we all suffer.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Well IMO they're really fishing for the mole or insider that might be leaking the information to FOX.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

That all sounds perfectly good to me. I think we both know where a wide open and free ranging investigation that starts here will likely lead by the end of it, too. I'm fine with it, by the way. In the end, it'll necessarily have to jump to what gave this agent the idea this was acceptable. Which leads to ...how many other times has this been done, indeed? What was his training and direct experience with doing it in the past? How many did he do these things with for investigative methods?

Before ya know it.. we'll be covering the Obama years and back into the Bush years....all before even leaving the Department of Justice. Again, I have no problem with that at all. If it really is starting at the bottom and not giving waivers to ANYONE on the basis of politics (Right or Left...either way), then it's over due and badly needed anyway. Little rats in 2001 have become BIG wharf rats by 2013 and it's time to get an exterminator into Justice, as a starting point, and flush out the rat nest.

This case looks as good as any for a place to pull the first threads and see what unravels from there. After all, I think we can agree, no mere FBI agent took it entirely upon himself to pull a dumb move like this. He did it believing it was "acceptable". Now...who and how did he get that impression? Lets hear from him...as he's being forced out of a career slot.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
Well IMO they're really fishing for the mole or insider that might be leaking the information to FOX.

That doesn't require them to list the reporter as a criminal co-conspirator, unless they suspected him of actually being an agent of a foreign government. I don't believe that is the case.

It is a very touchy point with the press, and it is a constitutional one.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Before ya know it.. we'll be covering the Obama years and back into the Bush years....all before even leaving the Department of Justice.

From the warrant...

I am a Special Agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigation ("FBI') assigned to the Washington Field Office, and have been employed by the FBI for over five years. I am assigned to a squad responsible for counter espionage matters and matters involving the unauthorized disclosure of classified information, and have worked in this field since October 2005.

As a result of my involvement in espionage investigations and investigations involving the unauthorized disclosure of classified information, I am familiar with the tactics, methods, and techniques of particular United States persons who possess, or have possessed a United States government security clearance and may choose to harm the United States by misusing their access to classified information.Before working for the FBI, I was a Special Agent with the Drug Enforcement Administration for two years.

www.scribd.com...

So he joined up in the absolute hey-day of free-for-all/patriot act. By 2005 FBI culture had shifted significantly post 9-11, but none of the Bush blow-back from the ACLU et al. had found traction yet.
How many amongst the FBI are still operating this way? At this stage either the President has been (a) remiss in changing the culture there (b) has allowed the culture to exist out of a percieved neccesity (c) Encouraged the persistent Bush-era culture to continue or (d) Directly authorized, directed the same tactics that existed under Pres. GWB.

Start at the bottom, with Agent Reyes...fiercly follow the cancer through the ranks wherever it leads. It shouldn't have been tolerated during the Bush years, and certainly not now 12 years post 9-11.
edit on 21-5-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

That doesn't require them to list the reporter as a criminal co-conspirator, unless they suspected him of actually being an agent of a foreign government. I don't believe that is the case.

That is the core of it. The info that the warrant gave them did lead to an arrest, but we have the constitution for a reason...and claiming a reporter as a co-conspirator in espionage for convenience is a crazy slippery slope. If they can get a judge to sign off on this for an investigation...national security purposes...even if it was just a temporary reason to pull the emails and they dropped the accusation after they got the warrant...then how far a leap is it to NOT drop the charge, arrest the reporter, if they think a leak is going to hurt national security? You don't eff with the first amendment. You don't simply ignore it cuz it makes your investigation easier. Freedom of the press is not something to blow-off when it suits national security interests. Damn slippery slope.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

ha ha the elite media are so full of #.
they haven't bothered to report on this # happening to everyday people
but when it happens to them they cry like little bitches

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Originally posted by butcherguy

That is the core of it. The info that the warrant gave them did lead to an arrest, but we have the constitution for a reason...and claiming a reporter as a co-conspirator in espionage for convenience is a crazy slippery slope. If they can get a judge to sign off on this for an investigation...national security purposes...even if it was just a temporary reason to pull the emails and they dropped the accusation after they got the warrant...then how far a leap is it to NOT drop the charge, arrest the reporter, if they think a leak is going to hurt national security? You don't eff with the first amendment. You don't simply ignore it cuz it makes your investigation easier. Freedom of the press is not something to blow-off when it suits national security interests. Damn slippery slope.

I agree.
One other problem with the Rosen case is that the info that he received, although classified, was not Earth-shattering. They can't come out and say the public was in danger by the release of the info that the North Koreans might do a nuclear test.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
FOX claiming Obama aadmin mis-conduct? STOP THE PRESSES! News flash of the Century! I wonder, does anyone remember stuff called proof? Ah, never mind. That stuff isn't needed at FOX anyway. Rave on!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
This admin is getting what it wants from the many instances of reporters being investigated and in the process having their rights trapled. If you think any source or whistleblower is going to pick up a phone or email a reporter a story now you better think twice becasue that person is going to think to all of the news stories lately and then wonder if the reprter thay are calling is under surveilance.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Fox News potentially commits treason by leaking classified about North Korea. People complain when the Justice Dept. steps in to investigate a possible breach of national security. That's right: people complain when the Justice Dept. seeks to protect the national interest.

Unbelievable.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sankari
Fox News potentially commits treason by leaking classified about North Korea. People complain when the Justice Dept. steps in to investigate a possible breach of national security. That's right: people complain when the Justice Dept. seeks to protect the national interest.

Unbelievable.

Define the treasonous activity in this case.

You do realize what this case was about, right? The reporter got info that the North Koreans may have planned to test a nuclear device. How was releasing this info a threat to our nation?

Do you think that the DOJ would let him slide if he had committed treason?
edit on 23-5-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join