It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Those That Think Athletes and CEOs are overpaid...THEYRE NOT!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Economics is really quite simple. It's shrouded in jargon, statistics, stock tickers and cryptic financial symbols. You ever actually look at an economics book? It's not concepts, its mathematical acrobatics. This is because the concepts are actually really, really simple.

edit on 19-5-2013 by doctornamtab because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Good call, I agree for the most part.

The top dogs aren't getting overpaid, most everyone else is getting robbed unfairly!

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Yep, no one accounts for inflation. I have so many conversation with regular people about all the "equity" they are building in their homes, etc.

But you add in interest cost, and factor in inflation. Heck, some people have "investments" where they are just losing money at a slower rate because of inflation.
I don't have the heart to tell them.

In 1950 a new house cost $8,450.00
In 1950 the average cost of new car was $1,510.00

Now here's the important part:

In 1950 the average income per year was $3,210.00

In 1950, I could by a new car not using my full salary.

A house, was only 2.6 times my yearly salary.

Imagine paying off a house in 2.6 years if you had just one person in the household who could make dedicated house payments?? Dear lord.

www.thepeoplehistory.com...
edit on 19-5-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-5-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Their pay increased higher and faster than ours. So they ARE overpaid! You proved it!

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
As far as what athletes earn....

You have to think of the alternative.

Which is what the owners of the team WOULD EARN instead.

Someone is going to make ALOT of money....would you rather it be the athlete that you
admire for his talent or the owner of that athlete's contract?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
You're looking at the salaries of the CEOs, not their overall package deals like stock options and investment knowledge they get to know from their work. What about all their bennie packages and free transportation. Even their golf club memberships. Either way, they are keeping up with inflation and we aren't. They have received more gain then the rest of us.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rival
As far as what athletes earn....

You have to think of the alternative.

Which is what the owners of the team WOULD EARN instead.

Someone is going to make ALOT of money....would you rather it be the athlete that you
admire for his talent or the owner of that athlete's contract?

Couldn't they just reduce the prices of tickets and concessions perhaps since they are flowing in dough?

Oh reduce prices? What kind of idiot jokester am I? Hahah it's laughable.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
But really a slight reduction in prices or halting the increase in prices for a fixed period would go a long way to increase the living standards of consumers.

Point : Lower prices allow consumers more options and venues for entertainment and increase buying power of consumer. Consumer in turn takes advantage of new position and increases economic activity in more locations than would have originally.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
You're looking at the salaries of the CEOs, not their overall package deals like stock options and investment knowledge they get to know from their work. What about all their bennie packages and free transportation. Even their golf club memberships. Either way, they are keeping up with inflation and we aren't. They have received more gain then the rest of us.

It's a quirky way of saying we are all getting the shaft. They aren't saying CEOs are not overpaid. They are saying everyone else is underpaid. And in that, CEOs are over paid, technically.

It's a play on words...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
To fix this economic system we need not worry about other people's salary per se.

We need to worry more about prices of commodities and keeping healthy competition in the marketplace to keep prices low.

The consumers are actually voting with their dollars by paying the higher prices and justifying it all in the end.
The only way to change that is to stop paying for something that is being overpriced until it comes down to a more reasonable price.

Seriously though does anyone know what it costs to take the kids to see a MLB, NBA, or NFL game these days? And yes we want food and drink as well, but since you usually are prohibited from bringing in outside items you have to pay the ultra high fees at the game's concessions stands.

Anyone been to a game recently wants to reveal the obscenity of the prices?
What's a soda cost? 10 $?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by rickymouse

It's a quirky way of saying we are all getting the shaft. They aren't saying CEOs are not overpaid. They are saying everyone else is underpaid. And in that, CEOs are over paid, technically.

It's a play on words...

Cup half full half empty.
All a matter of perspective.
But the cup and how much is in it are still the same either way.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Your source link please?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

Anyone who gets millions of dollars to play a game is overpaid. Simple as that. If there were salary caps in the hundreds of thousands, you'd see affordable game tickets and merchandise, and full stadiums vs. those that are 1/3 full every game day. (and the athletes would STILL be making a damn good living, but with much happier fans).

Anyone been to a game recently wants to reveal the obscenity of the prices?
What's a soda cost? 10 $?

Last game I went to, a soda was $6 (I think a beer was $8 domestic/$10 import), with a basket of fries and 4 chicken tenders being $12, so $18 for something that at McDonalds, would have cost me $5 tops (and I could refill my soda at McDonalds). (and they had the nerve to have a tip jar on the counter...seriously?). So, if doing this for 4 people, would have cost $52 for the equivalent of a fast food lunch.

edit on 20-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Is this thread for those that think that only,

I mean what if one knows some athletes and CEOs are being over paid?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I think Ceo's and athletes get over paid all the dam time because like the NFL,NBA, PGA they all claim to be a none-profit organization. CEOS are in it for themselfs and how much they can cushion there own pockets and I tired of hearing the phrase the prices are being dictated by Wall Street we have to show growth.....Since when does a CEO get paid Millions of dollars to leave a company when he lost millions, they should be paid off of how well the company is doing.

This is one topic that really chaps my back side.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Both premises are true.

They are being grossly overpaid and we plebes are being grossly underpaid.

The unions still exist for the CEOs and they are as corrupt as ever - they sit on one another's compensation boards to guarantee their exorbitant salaries and benefits packages always maintain a positive slope on the chart, with golden parachutes when the party's over.

The unions for we plebes are just as corrupt but, you see, it is a moral outrage that they continue to exist and must be done away with at all costs leaving the common worker in a bad situation on all fronts so just feel lucky and thankful you even have a job, stufooh and get back to work.

An obvious double standard, and an example of how distorted our sense of value has become in the corporate world.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Brad Richards is a center Iceman for the New York Rangers NHL team. He was benched in last nights game. His salary is $6.7 million over 6 years. So there was $ a little over $67.0000 dollars sitting in the press box watching. That's his salary per game. NO HE IS NOT WORTH THAT AMOUNT OF MONEY. No sports star is. Any sport.

The fireman that saves that kids life, he's worth that money. The nurse who takes care of your elderly mom or dad or your sick child, she/he is worth that money. Doctors that actually help people, them too. There's a lot of folks who deserve that kind of salary. There is no sport in the world where the salaries have to be in the tens of millions of dollars.

CEO's of all major corparations, should be taken out back and shot.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

I get good pay and bonuses for CEOs when the company is doing well. What I don't get, is when a company is losing money, laying off employees, and doing poorly, and the CEO STILL gets a BONUS! What the hell? That happens ALL THE TIME!. A bonus should be contingent on performance, not guaranteed! You can bet the lesser employee bonuses are.....

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by openyourmind1262
Brad Richards is a center Iceman for the New York Rangers NHL team. He was benched in last nights game. His salary is $6.7 million over 6 years. So there was $ a little over $67.0000 dollars sitting in the press box watching. That's his salary per game. NO HE IS NOT WORTH THAT AMOUNT OF MONEY. No sports star is. Any sport.

The fireman that saves that kids life, he's worth that money. The nurse who takes care of your elderly mom or dad or your sick child, she/he is worth that money. Doctors that actually help people, them too. There's a lot of folks who deserve that kind of salary. There is no sport in the world where the salaries have to be in the tens of millions of dollars.

CEO's of all major corparations, should be taken out back and shot.

The idea is that we should ALL be making millions of dollars a year. Look how much MORE money is in the system, yet we make the same as we did 40 years ago. We should all be millionaires.

And 6.7 mill over 6 years is nothing in the sports world. Hockey players are way underpaid compared to other professionals. Derrick Rose made 16.4 million last year from the Chicago Bulls and didn't play a game. A SINGLE GAME!

top topics

join