It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The War On Charity? - IRS Audits Of Non-Profts Up 79%

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Anyone have a list of charities that have been audited?

Can't seem to find any lists.

But we do know that there have been less tax returns filed recently.

There is already a controversy of Conservative leading non-profits getting targeted, I thought this was common knowledge?

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

The problem I see is with more "grass roots" type of charities being over burdened with taxes and laws that effectively make giving to others a legal matter...an example I can think of is a Grandma in a poor neighborhood that cooked hot meals everyday for the kids that might not otherwise have a hot meal....and she was harassed, and had to pay unreasonable fines or stop feeding the kids...very sad...

It just seems that the one's that should be regulated, have big time lawyers, and loop holes to justify becoming filthy rich as a CEO of a charity, but the old lady who cooks for the kids is somehow a criminal ?

I don't think these stats have anything to do with grandmas baking cookies and handing them out, sorry. And if you are not charging money, as far as I know you don't need anything to feed people. So I'm kinda lost in your comment...

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   

I don't think these stats have anything to do with grandmas baking cookies and handing them out, sorry. And if you are not charging money, as far as I know you don't need anything to feed people. So I'm kinda lost in your comment...

Believe it or not you actually can't just feed people in any kind of organized way without permits and health department inspections, in the example I used, this Grandma was going to have to come up with $1000 plus dollars to continue feeding the kids for free in her neighborhood.

I agree though, I don't think this kind of Charity is what is being discussed in this thread, sorry it was a bad example........as another member said......." There is a special place in Heaven for those that give of themselves to help others "

I don't know what the solution is to manage individuals and organizations that would use the facade of "Charity" to become wealthy, avoid paying taxes and perhaps even launder money for illegal purposes. I think people that are willing to give their money and/ or their time to any kind of charity should make sure that charity is ethical. For these reasons I prefer to give local and in more direct ways to efforts that can help others in need.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join