It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 1998 QE2 - 1.7 Miles Long Will Come VERY Close to Earth at 0.008 AU! Could Earth Realize An

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Asteroid 1998 QE2 was discovered 15 years ago (hence, 1998 as it's catalog name). What concerns me is when the Russian asteroid hit earlier this year, it wasn't even a known body that could harm us. Could this monster asteroid have smaller debris in it's tail? I'd say absolutely!

It's 1.7 miles long. Its surface is covered in a sticky black substance similar to the gunk at the bottom of a barbecue. If it impacted Earth it would probably result in global extinction. Good thing it is just making a flyby. Asteroid 1998 QE2 will make its closest pass to Earth on May 31 at 1:59 p.m. PDT. Scientists are not sure where this unusually large space rock, which was discovered 15 years ago, originated from. But the mysterious sooty substance on its surface could indicate it may be the result of a comet that flew too close to the sun, said Amy Mainzer, who tracks near-Earth objects at Jet Propulsion Laboratory in La Cañada Flintridge. It might also have leaked out of the asteroid belt between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter, she said.

What is also striking is the FarSight Institute's Remote Viewing session in 2008 in which the remote viewers say 2 parallel time lines and both had major flooding of a event, that they thought was an asteroid impact on Earth prior to June 1, 2013. This asteroid approaching fits the timeframe of this remoted viewed event.

FarSight Institute

NASA re: Asteroid 1998 QE2

RT News on Asteroid 1998 QE2

Los Angeles Times News Story re: Asteroid 1998 QE2

MSN Says to Stock Up On Canned Goods re: Asteroid 1998 QE2

MSN Also said to circle 5/31/13 on the calendar to be on the safe side. At the end of the MSN news report, says it's best to stock up on canned goods. WTH? Is this their ill attempted way of notifying us?

As you might know, and per another ATS Thread, the Moon realized the largest meteor hit since recorded time. This Moon asteroid could be related to 1998 QE2.
News Story on Moon Meteor Hit

NASA re: Moon Meteor

So, what do you think ATS? Could Earth pull this asteroid into its atmosphere? Is this what has bothered the Sun this past week, releasing 4 X-Flares in one week, which is unprecedented!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by curiouswa

According to SpaceWeather.com it will pass at 15.2 LD, far enough away to not be a worry. Chunks though I suppose could be accompanying it.

But as long as it stays at that distance, I don't think there is anything to worry about.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
That NBC news report is weird..after saying it is 15 times the distance of the moon..stock up on canned goods just to be safe??? Was he being sarcastic?...It did seem like he was being serious....weird..plain weird..

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by curiouswa
So, what do you think ATS? Could Earth pull this asteroid into its atmosphere?

3.6 million miles away = not a chance.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I'm thinking that if it were a former comet, than there are seperate chunks of it following it as well. And could those smaller chunks be pulled into earths gravity well? I think so.

I hope it's a clear night.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
From what ive read, the closest it will come to earth is about 3 million miles, hardly anything to worry about

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
How the hell do they know there is a sooty substance on it?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Optix

Isn't that weird!

Like it is coated in tar. I dunno how they got that. Satellite maybe, or radar.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Optix
How the hell do they know there is a sooty substance on it?

Good question.. Its statements like this that make me think that our technology is far more advanced than what we're told.
Then comes the question.. Why would they hide that kind of tech from us, whats the purpose?
National Security my ass..

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
There is a "chance"! Why? The Russian meteor trajectory shows us that the Earth can pull these bodies into its atmosphere and literally do so undetected.

The Russian Meteor was calculated at 0.07 AU!

Orbit: a = 1.55 +/- 0.07 AU e = 0.50 +/- 0.02 q = 0.768 +/- 0.011 AU Q = 2.33 +/- 0.14 AU (equinox 2000.0) Peri. = 109.7 +/- 1.8 deg Node = 326.41 deg i = 3.6 +/- 0.7 deg

Yahoo Tech Group Announcement

Russian Science Blog re: Russian Meteor of 2013

The documentary collected incredible details about the event and the research efforts performed by several groups in the world to reconstruct the details of the impact. The result is shocking and must be seen. No mention to the research made by our group or the group of the Czech Academy of Sciences appears in the video. Still a brief cameo of this weblog appears at minute 34:51
See the original video here: l

PBS Documentary on the Russian 2013 Meteor Hit

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by curiouswa

The Russian meteor was not calculated at 0.07 AU. It's semi-major axis was calculated at 1.55 +/- 0.07 AU. 1.55 AU was essentially its average distance from the Sun, and 0.07 is the error in that calculation.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
This is listed on Spaceweather.com as falling in the "Not Remotely Feasible" distance. And OP, where on earth did you come up with 0.008 AU when it's listed as 0.0392 AU? That's a pretty big distance difference.

spaceweather.com...
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I think the OP got mixed up somewhere.

The post is about 1998 QE2, however the video is about 2013 KB which is the asteroid which will be at a distance of 0.008AU on May 22, 2013. 1998 QE2 will be much farther away at 0.0392 AU.

JPL 2013 KB
edit on 5/18/2013 by UnholyBones because: link

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
A burnt BBQ sparerib tossed out by god?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Don't listen to NASA! This is it, the end! It's actually a reptilian mothership come to steal all our young women! Quick, get the Kool-Aid!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
hey .. I have Comic Con on June 1st!! Non refundable tickets!
That thing had better not hit! I've got a great 10th Doctor Costume T-Shirt I want to wear!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
NASA Orbital Diagram of 1998 QE2

NASA Orbit Diagram of 1998 QE2

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Whoops, I was referencing the other asteroid. My mistake. This one is still one to watch as I said, the Russian asteroid was calculated at 0.07 AU's away.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Sometime in the future, one of these bad boys will indeed hit the earth, and the devastation will no doubt be "apocalyptic". And in the days preceding that collision, the conversation will be just like this thread, and so many others before it. A bunch yays, nays, and jokes. Such is the nature of our modern paradigm.

Que sera sera.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
So no harm no foul....
But what about QE3 or QE 4?
could still be future trouble....
Kill Shot still predicted....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join