It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Topless Women in Public Not Breaking the Law, Says NYPD

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Ladies of New York , you are free to walk bare-breasted through the city! New York City's 34,000 police officers have been instructed that, should they encounter a woman in public who is shirtless but obeying the law, they should not arrest her. This is a good step towards gender parity in public spaces.

That's right folks... see for yourself. I don't know if this qualifies as "above top-secret," But it's certainly no longer "beneath Victoria's secret."

edit on 17-5-2013 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

Is there any precedence for this sort of ruling? Is there ANYWHERE else in the US that allows for a woman to be completely topless in public? I think this is huge news, don't you?

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Finally. Awesome. Can't wait for that law to come to Texas

I can't imagine what it would be like if women did walk around topless. All I can think about is boobs.
edit on 5-17-13 by Mugen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Great... another notch in the belt for progressive liberals. Let's just hope this stays confined to NYC. Don't get me wrong, I like boobs just as much as the next guy, but not in public.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75
Great... another notch in the belt for progressive liberals. Let's just hope this stays confined to NYC. Don't get me wrong, I like boobs just as much as the next guy, but not in public.

All too inclined to agree. However, I would hope to allow the people of the city to use their own prudent decision-making when deciding the nature of their manner of dress... instead of a government and policing agency creating and enforcing laws over it all.

We NEED to stop thinking in terms of "crime and punishment" and START promoting "cause and effect!"

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It's actually not illegal to be fully nude in a ton of locations still to this day, based on the books.

But almost no one ever does it, and those that do are the very rare exception.

I would call it an issue of common decency, most people don't want all the attention nudity brings.
However we do have a few that love attention, and will do anything for it.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Husbands in the city are under great danger should this actually happen. You can immediately avert your eyes, your wife is still going to take it out on you. Its a no win situation.

I hate "pretty girls" walking by. I always seem to get punched in the arm, and a dirty glare.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Then by God....there's the internet.
And there is no shortage of folks who want to get nekkie on there.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

I would call it an issue of common decency, most people don't want all the attention nudity brings.
However we do have a few that love attention, and will do anything for it.

Absolutely my thoughts on it. People should make decisions based on decency and "true morals" instead of the fear of getting "busted." With laws over every aspect of life, where do we as humans get the chance to actually develop our morals in a meaningful way?

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012

I think the male population in New York city is going to be on the rise. Literally.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Husbands in the city are under great danger should this actually happen. You can immediately avert your eyes, your wife is still going to take it out on you. Its a no win situation.

I hate "pretty girls" walking by. I always seem to get punched in the arm, and a dirty glare.

You know, even as a guy with a decent physique, I'm not gonna just stroll down main street without a shirt. That said... there ARE plenty of circumstances where I would want to take off my shirt, and I agree with this legislation that a woman should have the same rights as a man to do so.

Anything else is unconstitutional on the grounds of sexism.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

ZIIIINGGG!

(or would it be SCHWIIIING?)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Somebody cursed the human species to be born naked. How horrid. We need to get our scientists to figure out a way for all babies to be born fully clothed. Wouldn't want to offend anyone's sensibilities.

We can make war and kill people by the thousands though. That's ok with most everyone. But a bare breast? "God" forbid. I think it's time American's get over their hangup with nudity and sexuality.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Wouldn't want to offend anyone's sensibilities...
I think it's time American's get over their hangup with nudity and sexuality.

Isn't that what is exemplified in the OP? This is a very good change, IMO, considering that it's a rare repealing of a law... whereas we are becoming quite accustomed to the stacking up of new ones.

There is nothing insidious or evil or wrong in any way within this news. NYC has said "boobs are fine with us."

This is a good thing, "all around."

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Its actually been legal to go topless in the state of new York since 1992. A woman was wrongfully arrested for being topless in 2007 and won a settlement of $27,000 for wrongful arrest. Still, many police aren't aware that its legal to do so.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I read somewhere earlier yesterday or today is that woman was arrested

link   

Originally posted by WP4YT
Its actually been legal to go topless in the state of new York since 1992. A woman was wrongfully arrested for being topless in 2007 and won a settlement of $27,000 for wrongful arrest. Still, many police aren't aware that its legal to do so.

You mention NY State... NYC is a different story, unless I'm mistaken. Otherwise... why is this even news?

link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012

My apologies if I gave the impression I disagreed somehow. I was just throwing my own two shillings in for those who gasp at the sight of human flesh, but are fine with news reels of dead bodies and carnage.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Oh no, that's fine. I understand that we agree, I just responded directly to your abrasive satire.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This happened where I grew up when I was just turning into a teenager. As a boy I was super-pumped. Unfortunately no women walked around with their top off.

Good luck men of New York?
edit on 17-5-2013 by France because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by France
This happened where I grew up when I was just turning into a teenager. As a boy I was super-pumped. Unfortunately no women walked around with their top off.

Good luck men of New York?
edit on 17-5-2013 by France because: (no reason given)

I don't know where you grew up, but I bet more than a few women will be taking advantage of this repealed law in NYC this summer, and rightfully so.

Granted, I don't think self-respect (where found) will be all too diminished, and women will continue to cover their breasts generally the same...however; over time I think there will be some sort of a significant shift sociologically from this change. At first, it will be a sort of big deal... lots of picture taking,parading, etc. But over time, it will become no different than back in the 1800s when they first allowed women to show their HEELS.

Time's are a changing'

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join