It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has dragons ever exists or are still living in some remote areas?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I always thought that a dragon is the coolest creature ever, if it ever exists. Powerful and elegant, the true king of the skies.

Initially, I thought that dragons were purely a mythical creature and people had confused dinosaur bones with dragons (True to an extent). But doing some research, it is pretty compelling that there are indeed some evidence for a dragon existence. Throughout the medieval and early modern periods, dragons were accepted as real but rare beasts as listed in their dictionary.

Apparently, in Boone County there was a small village called "Self" in 1900. Nearby there was this cave aptly named the "Devil's Hole Cave". One day, the owner of the place decided to explore the cave and climbed down a rope about 200 feet down the ledge where he heard a loud hissing sound like that or a large lizard, after that he maked a hasty retreat. The people there then tied a flatiron to a rope and placed it down that cave and they heard a hissing sound and the rope was pulled hard. When they pulled it back up, they found the flatiron had been badly bent and scored with scratches and teeth marks.

Source: www.prairieghosts.com...

That link also has some directions to tell you how to go to Self in Boone County, Arkansas. Anyone living in Arkansas up for some adventure?
edit on 16-5-2013 by icyboy771z because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
imo
Fossils were found in the old days, some Saint found a T-rex or one of its ancestors type of thing and they didn't have the tech to deduce that dinosaurs were 60 mill years old.
They probably thought the fossils were a few hundred years old, how would they know?
Either way stories of dragons vs humans were formed

edit on 16-5-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
imo
Fossils were found in the old days, some Saint found a T-rex or one of its ancestors type of thing and they didn't have the tech to deduce that dinosaurs were 60 mill years old.
They probably thought the fossils were a few hundred years old, how would they know?

I agree.

Also, cyclops was imagined after someone found an elephant skull.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
As crazy as it sounds. I believe dragons still exist.

Long ago I met a group of dragons on an asteroid in a dream.

They are in the astral plane, or where ever the hell I ended up in that dream.

Yup, they do exist.

edit on 16-5-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
imo

What about the Chinese interpretation of dragons?

Or old Norse dragons?

Human imagination?
edit on 16-5-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Stories of Dragons exist from primitive cultures across almost the entire globe. The oldest written history of Humanity, Chinese history, treats Dragons as real. In Europe prior to their demonisation by the church they were also said to be real and often taught as is the case in China.

To suggest that they are not real based on "We haven't found their bones" is just plain silly. Look at the number of humans that have died and compare that to the number of bones found. This is true of whatever animals you care to name and I am sure that an intelligent evolved species is not going to stumble into a bog pit just to leave a few bones for modern man to find.

Additionally, any avian species must, by pure logic alone, have a very light, probably hollow bone structure. An intelligent species may also have funeral rights where possibly no bones were left to find.

The real question is, were they part of earths past, or did they visit from time to time.

I have done an enormous amount of research on Dragon Kind since they feature in my books. I lean heavily to the visitors theory.

P

edit on 16/5/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by icyboy771z

Megalania lived in Australia it was sort of a megafuana equivalent to a Komodo dragon, likely existed alongside humans, was possibly venomous and may have measured over 20 feet in length

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I'm skeptical, but then again I didn't believe in Sasquatches either, that is until I befriended one.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I would guess they did exist as little as a thousand years ago. I think they were a flying dinosaur type creature myself. I think there were some things called water dragons also. Since there are so many tales of killing these creatures, I feel they are extinct now. There may still be water dragons though, they would be strange looking serpent like creatures. There is a lot of ocean out there. I think there could also be some mermaid like creatures out there with arms but I doubt if they would look like the ones on TV shows. They would be scaley and not be even close to human looking, just a fish with arms.

There are too many old tales about these things to discount them just because there is no physical evidence. I don't believe the dragons breathed fire either, they may have had a strong acid that they sprayed that burned people's flesh. A pre-digestive spray?

Could be wrong but lack of physical evidence to substantiate ancient writings does not necessarily make these writings just folklore. According to folklore, eating the heart of a dragon made you immortal, so maybe these dragons were all eaten for a traditional reason. No evidence left to prove to us now that they existed. The chinese eat dragon bone soup, soup that is made of dinosaur bones today. Did this tradition start from eating dragon bone soup from real dragon bones?
edit on 16-5-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Probably some prehistoric beast that was huge and flew, but didn't breathe fire like Ricky said.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
If evolution has proved as scientific fact that dinosaurs evolved into birds it would seem to me that they may have had a propensity to flying before that happened.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Well my theory is dragons did exist sort of anyway.I think what alot of people saw was maybe a group of teradactyls that managed to live alot longer then we think they did.Because even in medival times they mentioned knights hunting dragons.These same legends talked about huge sea monsters such as Giant octopusses turns out they were right. I think the legends have some basis in fact i just dont think they knew what they were looking at.There is so many mentions of dragons in our culture i find it hard to believe they didnt exist for example:
Daniel was said to kill a dragon in the apocryphal chapters of the Bible. After Alexander the Great invaded India he brought back reports of seeing a great hissing dragon living in a cave.Then theres the chinese zodiac 11 animals that exist today and of course the dragon.the Roman historian Dio who chronicled the Roman empire in the second century. It seems Regulus, a Roman consul, fought against Carthage, when a dragon suddenly crept up and settled behind the wall of the Roman army. The Romans killed it, skinned it and sent the hide to the Roman Senate.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Well my theory is dragons did exist sort of anyway.I think what alot of people saw was maybe a group of teradactyls that managed to live alot longer then we think they did.Because even in medival times they mentioned knights hunting dragons.These same legends talked about huge sea monsters such as Giant octopusses turns out they were right. I think the legends have some basis in fact i just dont think they knew what they were looking at.There is so many mentions of dragons in our culture i find it hard to believe they didnt exist for example:
Daniel was said to kill a dragon in the apocryphal chapters of the Bible. After Alexander the Great invaded India he brought back reports of seeing a great hissing dragon living in a cave.Then theres the chinese zodiac 11 animals that exist today and of course the dragon.the Roman historian Dio who chronicled the Roman empire in the second century. It seems Regulus, a Roman consul, fought against Carthage, when a dragon suddenly crept up and settled behind the wall of the Roman army. The Romans killed it, skinned it and sent the hide to the Roman Senate. Ancient explorers and historians, like Josephus, told of small flying reptiles in ancient Egypt and Arabia and described their predators, the ibis, stopping their invasion into Egypt.An old Assiniboine story tells of a war party that “traveled a long distance to unfamiliar lands and [saw] some large lizards. The warriors held a council and discussed what they knew about those strange creatures. They decided that those big lizards were bad medicine and should be left alone. However, one warrior who wanted more war honors said that he was not afraid of those animals and would kill one. He took his lance [a very old weapon used before horses] and charged one of the large lizard type animals and tried to kill it. But he had trouble sticking his lance in the creature’s hide and during the battle he himself was killed and eaten.” Soyeah i think there where dragons who knows we may find someinaremotearea some day in the amazon theres still areas there people havnt been to.
edit on 5/17/13 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
There were also petrosaur-like creatures in modern day Papau New Guinea, Indonesia. Would suggest you guys go watch it on monsterquest. Very interesting episode, these creatures roam mostly at night and have eyes that glow in the dark. During the episode, the crew recorded unexplained glowing lights around the skies at night, these are said to be the ropen by locals.

These creatures could be mistaken as "dragons", as they sure look like one. I don't think they are flying dragons portrayed in the movie as those huge lizards would be too heavy to fly but something like a ropen would be closest to a flying dragon.
edit on 17-5-2013 by icyboy771z because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

God I love that avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Dragons, one of my fav. subjects!
I wonder if some bones classified as dinosaurs were infact what our ancestors called Dragons.
Have you heard of Dracorex Hogwartsia?

A team of museum scientists officially named the new dinosaur species Dracorex hogwartsia, the “Dragon King of Hogwarts. The name celebrates Hogwarts School for Witchcraft & Wizardry, the academy for wizards in the Harry Potter novels. “All of us dinosaur-hunters agree — it’s splendidly appropriate!” said Dr. Bakker, curator at the Houston Museum of Natural Science and a long-time friend of The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis.

One skull I've seen has blue skin still on it... looks so much like Saphira from the Christopher Paolini series!

This beautiful sea slug looks amazing and sonar has shown that Nessie is quite like a plesiosaur.

There have been a lot of sightings, and some interesting footage (that is never very clear)... I want to believe because we are still cataloging animals on this earth, but until I see one flying over my house, I'm going to say that maybe they existed once...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Reign of fire (2002)

www.imdb.com...

Inn this movie dragons are accused to be destroyers of the dinosaurs! Excellent movie by the way loved it and still watching it time to time.

And yes I do believe in Dragons. If you are able to fantasise it, then it most probably exist.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think the belief of dragons was a mixture of our ancestors finding fossils of prehistoric creatures yet no way of knowing what they were and other living animals that might have been quite strange and terrifying back then.

Take the Oarfish, for example:

They could easily pass as a sea serpent and some still do when they're encountered by primitive cultures.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Well, if they are real or not, i'ts possible. And the last know sighting i know is from 2004. Here's my book:

-A Couple were in North Europe at vacations when they noticed a strange creature flying above the camps. It was very big, of brown color and bat wings and it was carring a horse in it's mounth. The animal looked like serpentine and reminded of a dragon. They estimated the creature on having around 15 feet in lenght

Dragons wouldn't have problems with food in nowdays society. the problem is their size. To have 15 feet in lenght like a pterosaur and being abel to fly with n orestrictions they would need to have an insane huge wing spawn 3x times their body so they wouldn't fall.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frocharocha
Well, if they are real or not, i'ts possible. And the last know sighting i know is from 2004. Here's my book:

-A Couple were in North Europe at vacations when they noticed a strange creature flying above the camps. It was very big, of brown color and bat wings and it was carring a horse in it's mounth. The animal looked like serpentine and reminded of a dragon. They estimated the creature on having around 15 feet in lenght

Dragons wouldn't have problems with food in nowdays society. the problem is their size. To have 15 feet in length like a treasure and being able to fly with n orestrictions they would need to have an insane huge wing spawn 3x times their body so they wouldn't fall.

I dont think wingspan would be a problem really i have a feeling the flying would only be short distances not all birds can soar. and since this some intrest ill mention some more historical records of dragons. “In 1907 Lieutenant-Colonel Percy Fawcett of the British Army was sent to mark the boundaries between Brazil and Peru. He was an officer in the Royal Engineers and was well known as a meticulous recorder of facts. In the Beni Swamps of Madre de Dios Colonel P. H. Fawcett saw an animal he believed to be Diplodocus… The Diplodocus story is confirmed by many of the tribes east of the Ucayali, a region covered by Clark.

”The book,The Travels of Marco Polo, is the written record which chronicles the adventures and travels that Marco Polo experienced while exploring the eastern world. In part 2, chapter 40, Marco Polo reports what he describes as "huge serpents". The descriptions given sound in many ways no different than descriptions given of the dinosaurs in the text books.

"Leaving the city of Yachi, and traveling ten days in a westerly direction, you reach the province of Karazan, which is also the name of the chief city....Here are seen huge serpents, ten paces in length (about 30 feet), and ten spans (about 8 feet) girt of the body. At the fore part, near the head, they have two short legs, having three claws like those of a tiger, with eyes larger than a forepenny loaf (pane da quattro denari) and very glaring."

The jaws are wide enough to swallow a man, the teeth are large and sharp, and their whole appearance is so formidable, that neither man, nor any kind of animal can approach them without terror. Others are met with of a smaller size, being eight, six, or 5 paces long; and the following method is used for taking them. In the day-time, by reason of great heat, they lurk in caverns, from whence, at night, they issue to seek their food, and whatever beast they meet with and can lay hold of, whether tiger, wolf, or any other, they devour;

Herodotus, respected Greek historian who lived in approximately 450 B.C., once wrote:

There is a place in Arabia...to which I went, on hearing of some winged serpents; and when I arrived there, I saw bones and spines of serpents, in such quantities as it would be impossible to describe. The form of the serpent is like that of a water-snake; but he has wings without feathers, and as like as possible to the wings of a bat

Heres one i really liked because everyone gets mad and still cant kill it.

Close to the town of Bures, near Sudbury, there has lately appeared, to the great hurt of the countryside, a dragon, vast in body, with a crested head, teeth like a saw, and a tail, extending to an enormous length. Having slaughtered the shepherd of a flock, it devoured many sheep. There came forth in order to shoot at him with arrows the workmen of the lord on whose estate he had concealed himself, being Sir Richard de Waldegrave, Knight; but the dragon’s body, although struck by the archers, remained unhurt, for the arrows bounced off his back as if it were iron or hard rock. Those arrows that fell upon the spine of his back gave out as they struck it a ringing of tinkling sound, just as if they had hit a brazen plate, and then flew away off by reason of the hide of this great beast being impenetrable. Thereupon, in order to destroy him, all the country people around were summoned. But when the dragon saw that he was again about to be assailed with arrows, he fled into a marsh or mere and there hid himself among the long reeds, and was no more seen

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join