It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T and the Neverending Mail Harassment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Junk mail. We all get it. Sometimes it's coupon packs, which isn't always a bad thing, and sometimes it's just ads for local churches or businesses. No problem. I understand the concept, and respect the business' attempt at awareness. That being said, there is one company who takes it to a whole new level of paper waste, and they have now begun using misleading packaging to make me open their envelopes full of offers.

For the last 2 years I have received at least one ad or offer from AT&T every week. That's well over 100 attempts at doing business with me. Sometimes there are 2 different offers in the mailbox on the same day. Yeah, if I see an AT&T logo on an envelope, it goes straight into the trash. However, I received a particular piece of interesting appearing mail today which both confused and shocked me.

The envelope said CHANGE OF ADDRESS CONFIRMATION, and was similar dimensions and fonts to the official USPS Change of Address confirmation notice. Now, I don't use snail mail a whole lot, but I certainly do make monthly transactions using the USPS, and I've had to deal with identity theft issues in the past.

I open the envelope to find out it's just a deceptive package for another AT&T offer. I've had it. I think I'm going to start documenting this with pics and see if there are any laws I can use for consumer protection. I'm not usually one of the types to freak out about being on call lists or other advertising audiences, but this has just gotten to the point of harassment. I'm tempted to sue, but first I have to build a case and only if there is an actual law being broken. Anyone else have similar stories or problems with AT&T or other companies?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
You think that's bad?

Get on Glenn Beck's mailing list...

I'm not gonna lie, I chuckled a bit at the whole 'change of address' stunt. That's genius!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I have a solution but I don't think you'll like it. I have an account with AT&T and I don't receive any mail from them (I have auto billing).

You could try sending a letter requesting them not to send any more offers, or call them. But I don't think they are breaking any laws by sending offers.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

I'm a postal worker in the UK and Virgin Media do what you describe AT&T are doing. Day in day out I post marketing mail for Virgin Media. Sometimes two or three letters from them to the same address. It's frustrating for me because I know it all goes straight into the bin. It's frustrating for the customer because they get bombarded with this crap every week.

Virgin Media are relentless...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Not with snail mail and not AT&T but I used to get a ton of telemarketing calls from DishNet, like 4 or five times a week. I even contacted the FCC and filed a formal complaint. I was told to join the 'do not call list' but there was really nothing else I could do because even though they were a nuisance they weren't breaking the law.

I feel your pain and wish you luck.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
I have a solution but I don't think you'll like it. I have an account with AT&T and I don't receive any mail from them (I have auto billing).

You could try sending a letter requesting them not to send any more offers, or call them. But I don't think they are breaking any laws by sending offers.

No, you're right. I should try contacting their customer service department and politely ask to speak to a floor manager. If nothing else, the floor manager will have an extension where a proper complaint can be filed. The thing is, I don't particularly care that they send me offers, but limit it to once a month or something. The almost daily barrage of conflicting offers and specials is just too much, and the deceptive CoA Confirmation envelope with CORRESPONDENCE REQUESTED written on it was enough to raise my blood pressure and my worst fears concerning identity theft. There has to be some kind of law regarding impersonating official USPS Correspondence letters.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
reply to post by DaTroof

I'm a postal worker in the UK and Virgin Media do what you describe AT&T are doing. Day in day out I post marketing mail for Virgin Media. Sometimes two or three letters from them to the same address. It's frustrating for me because I know it all goes straight into the bin. It's frustrating for the customer because they get bombarded with this crap every week.

Virgin Media are relentless...

This is the other part that pisses me off. How much money is spent employing the advertising team that creates the offers, the marketing team who drafts the ad, the paper and ink cost, the cost of the printers, the cost of mailing out the letters... and who eats this cost? The customer who already uses the service. Balls.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
As a Marketing/Finance double major, I get the logistics behind mass mailers. I also understand that once 1 potential sale has been targeted unsuccessfully 100 times, there is no turning that customer over. They lose money, albeit pennies, every time they mail something to me. This affects the paying customer. Once the customer catches wind of the high costs of advertising affecting their monthly rates, all hell breaks loose. There is a medium where this shouldn't happen. AT&T has exceeded this medium.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by retirednature
You think that's bad?

Get on Glenn Beck's mailing list...

I'm not gonna lie, I chuckled a bit at the whole 'change of address' stunt. That's genius!

I can only imagine.

Or Ron Paul's. I've heard of people who registered to vote for Paul in 2012 being blasted with political mail. Not everyone has had this happen, but a few friends and their family in other states.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

its okay d.t....

no matter how much you've mocked others on many an other thread

you'll find us all a forgiving and understanding lot, we all went through the same

now tell us all about how a BIG CORPORATION is targeting you...

tell us Da Troof...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMagus
reply to post by DaTroof

its okay d.t....

no matter how much you've mocked others on many an other thread

you'll find us all a forgiving and understanding lot, we all went through the same

now tell us all about how a BIG CORPORATION is targeting you...

tell us Da Troof...

I'm missing something, (as usual I'm in the dark), but that was a funny reply.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMagus

Touché, pussycat!

The problem I have is one of deception. Much like Publisher's Clearing House got in trouble with their deceptive practices, there may be a case here. If I get another one of these lookalike letters in the mail, I'll strongly research my rights and the laws.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Junk mail.
Anyone else have similar stories or problems with AT&T or other companies?

Over in another forumn I read about a company that was specifically targeting people with a "No Junk Mail" sticker on their mailbox.
If you had a sticker, you get one of their bits of spam.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

That's kind of funny. When I see people with signs posted saying "NO SOLICITING" or "We don't discuss religion or business at our front door", I wonder how many DTD salesmen or religious "good news" spreaders have ignored them. Then I also wonder if police have ever been called and if those signs have any legal power should one decide to press charges for trespassing or harassment or whatever is applicable.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

Touché, pussycat!

The problem I have is one of deception. Much like Publisher's Clearing House got in trouble with their deceptive practices, there may be a case here. If I get another one of these lookalike letters in the mail, I'll strongly research my rights and the laws.

save yourself the hassle/energy,

just film your daily opening of the mail
until you get a hit or two, and then post on YT, with a suitable righteous rant
if it goes viral and you get paid for hits...

or are you interested in something more litigious ?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
IF any of these letters come with a prepaid envelope to respond.

Take said envelope and fill it with pennys taped to a sheet of paper, as much as you can get to fit.

ATT will have to pay the postage for the added weight, do this a few times see how quick they stop.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Not good, but here in the U.K. I generally get two letters a week from Virgin Media, trying to flog me cable TV / Broadband...

I could go on about the several plastic charity bags a week I get too... How much unwanted stuff do these people think I have to give them ?.

Good for putting the household rubbish in, anyway, before it goes in the dustbin.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Oh how I despise ATT!!

They charged me for months for a phone line I did NOT have! I still get crap offers in the mail from them. I wouldn't take their services if they were free for life!

Right now my biggest headache is Brighthouse Networks, cable company. Someone is using MY phone number to set up service!!! I get calls every other friggin day. I got a call a couple weeks ago about a service reminder for setting up service! It took me 20mins to get a damn person. I tell them every time that this is fraud and someone is using my number to set up service yet they STILL call me! I am so sick of it. Calling them and asking them to stop calling me doesn't work, the customer service reps don't give a crap. I even got a call after I told them NOT to call me for me to fill out a survey! I answered 0 for all questions and left a voice comment explaining my situation and they STILL CALL!! I am so sick of it! I dont even have cable!!!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I'm not after money. I'm interested in protecting myself and other consumers from deceptively marked mail. This happens to be the time of month I make several payments and receive pay via mail. The possibility of having to deal with court appearances and paper trails again almost gave me a heart attack. I can only imagine the distress caused to someone with heart disease or high blood pressure. It's the exact opposite of the PCH "You're already a winner!" scam.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Yeah hon, that would get on my nerves too.

Comcast sends me plenty of offers in the mail as well, but they at least have their logo clearly on the envelope. I'm actually considering using Comcast's intro offers this summer. I want to do more hosting, and even though the bedroom is the final destination, most women like to watch at least a little TV over the course of a date night in.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join