It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hipsters Singled Out for Being Annoying

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hey all, while I was listening to NPR this morning I heard this little tidbit:

Hip

Now I'm sure we've all encountered a so called "hipster" somewhere, i don't know about TAXING them. All in jest I suppose.

Fixies, swallow tattoos, thick rimmed glasses with no glass in them, vintage t-shirts, neck beards (neards), and a can of PBR in hand, they show apathy towards most everything and a superior attitude towards people who don't dress or behave like them. "yeah I liked that band before everyone else." or "I liked their music before they were popular, now they suck because of it." I think that's a bit ridiculous, wouldn't you want your favorite band to be successful?

They will never admit to the title of course, but next time you see a hipster, call out the word and see them turn around, an then get pissed because they reaponded!

Now I like indie music, and pbr, and I wear shirts that should probably be a size bigger. I also ride a fixed gear. . . Ah dammit, I think I'm a hipster, guys. Identity crisis engage.

Thoughts?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Love the pic

Let's see,
vintage t-shirts - check
peace patch - check
vintage bicycle - check
tatoos - check
coffee strong enough for Godzilla - check
Vonnegut books- check
album collection - check
music snob - check
Yup, must be hipsterish at the least. I am sure some see us as annoying, but oh well, here's to the beat of a different drummer eh? I am reminded of the bumper sticker: You laugh at us cuz we are different, we laugh at you cuz you're all the same

Peace and individualism,
spec

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
PBR is a requirement?
I know many a redneck that isn't going to be happy, having some hipster trying to take over their beer, just because it's now cool.

Could get real ugly.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The generation that grew up on Seinfeld and Starbucks...

...alas...(waves hipster flag high, sips coffee)...* sigh*

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

PBR is a requirement?
I know many a redneck that isn't going to be happy, having some hipster trying to take over their beer, just because it's now cool.

Could get real ugly.

They already have! I drank PBR Ice regularly because it was like 13 bucs for a 30 pack. That was 4 years ago and the price skyrocketed to match the likes of Miller and Budweiser......

Now my cheap rot gut of choice is Classic Ice! $13 for a 30 pack......

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Don't forget the clove cigarettes and a dorky hat of some sort. Oh and a wool scarf when it's not that cold out.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by denybedoomed

Bro, I starred this thread before it was cool. In fact, there was this other thread like it that I starred but, maaaaan, you probably never heard of it.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
Don't forget the clove cigarettes and a dorky hat of some sort. Oh and a wool scarf when it's not that cold out.

Hah! I think you are probably stuck in my generation. That was our version. Today's hipsters don't do that because it's not ironic to actually be cool.

Just like our version of goth is now "emo"... damn, it's like these kids destroy everything that was cool about my generation.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I haven't encountered any of these "hipsters" around here, but if they made the price of Pabst Blue Ribbon go up that's probably because the rednecks beat them into submission and they're now in hiding!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I love the idea. Portland would be the richest city on the planet

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Q: How do you drown a hipster?

A: Throw them in the mainstream

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

*shrugs* i was gonna laugh at that, but I better just play it cool and be like, whatever man. Gonna go slam some old style and ride my fixie while wearing the head dress I found at the goodwill.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I think the band lagwagon said it best in there song "Know it all"

Ahem "the bands are cool untill they make enough cash to eat food and get a pad then there sold out and there music is cliched"
Hipster FTW

can some one answere a question for me? Why do all non conformest groups have strict rules about how you have to dress and act? It has never made any sense to me, I was into punk rock and was a "punk" when i was younger but the rules to be a punk never made any sense to me.

Thank you and good day/night depending on your location in this universe.
edit on 14-5-2013 by crimsongod21 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Weird...all this time, I thought my stepson was some kind of goth or punk, but seems he is a hipster.

Love the kid, and want him to succeed, but yeah, that music snobbery crap is annoying as hell. Especially given the crap he listens to, which is screaming, not music.

Now don't get me wrong, I love some Dethklok, etc., but some of the crap he listens to just sounds like TV snow to me...yet he'll go on and on about this singer or this band, and how this singer did this....

I don't care....really. You could be rattling off sports stats for all I care. I listen to music for its own sake...could care less about the lives of those making it. Do I want to know about the lives of the chefs that made my dinner while out? No, I just care about the food.

Why do all non conformest groups have strict rules about how you have to dress and act? It has never made any sense to me, I was into punk rock and was a "punk" when i was younger but the rules to be a punk never made any sense to me

Because irony is completely lost on them...that to be nonconformist, you have to "conform" to their rules....

edit on 14-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by crimsongod21

Right? "we're individuals man, and anti establishment, but we buy our entire wardrobes from hot topic."

I always liked nofx, they seemed to have gotten it right.

"we march to the beat of indifferent drum."

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by denybedoomed

I almost fell off my couch reading the hot topic thing, when i first got into the scene it was wear whatever you wanted look like whatever you want just enjoy the music dont give a f about anything and have fun. then it started to go mainstreem if you will and got popular and the Hottopics poped up and if you didnt have a mohawk and a op ivy shirt you werent punk you were a posser ugh.

NOFX was almost a base line a mid stream for what you had to be to be punk in my area. Either you were Greenday punk (pop or fashion punk) NOFX (punk semi pop Fashion, some attitude) or Minor threat punk (hard core, fashion,straight edge)

not trying to offend any one with these descriptions but that is how it was in my area also there were other "sects" of the punk scene but i didnt feel the need to explain them all.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I remember the embarrassing days I was a hipster. Dear God I couldn't believe how silly I dressed and acted. But damn I had a lot of friends and enjoyed time at cafes with free music. A lot of nice people out there who are either hipsters or hang out with those types of people.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Ugh, the hipsters...

Walking around in wool caps in 95 degree heat holding cans of PBR like badges of honor.

One lil hipster that attended a dance class I was in had to ask who Axl Rose was.

And it seems the artsy-er the area considers itself, the more the hipsters come out to be seen.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by crimsongod21

You didn't offend this guy, you were dead on with those descriptions. I have been through a lot of different phases, poppy punk, hardcore burn the children, shoegaze, ska, but now that I've matured a bit I have started to really appreciate music more. I'll give everything an honest listen nowadays . . . Except nickleback, sorry just can't do it.

A lot of the more underground bands I like have gone mainstream, and more power to em. I'm sure none of them miss playing in crappy basements and getting zero recognition. I'll still listen to them.

It was only when I started to broaden my musical horizon that I gained a deeper appreciation for most music. I remember when I first started listening to the blues, MAN! That is some heart wrenching music!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I always bought it because it was cheap and tasted better than keystone, now I'm helping the establishment! Man, what kind of hipster am I?!?!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join